AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First is the Yugo M75 grenade. It's a pretty standard modern design, mostly plastic with small steel balls imbedded in a plastic matrix for frag. The fuze is striker release, with a plastic body. The blasting cap/time delay/primer is a single aluminum piece that screws into the plastic fuze body. These are shipped in a cool green screw top plastic can with yellow markings (I have one, I'll try and get some pics of it).

Where Yugo stuff really starts to get interesting is when you see all the variations that they have made... I've seen this identical grenade with a yellow fuze, or a funky screw top affair with what looks like a percussion primer sticking up on top. Normally, in Yugoslav color code yellow means practice, but these were not practice grenades. I have some other pictures that I can't find at the moment that will illustrate the varieties better, especially with rifle grenades.

Most everyone has seen the the AP practice rifle grenades... Here is a practice HEAT (High Explosive Anti Tank) rifle grenade. It's got a big rubber bumper on the front, and the body is made of HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). The color from the rubber bumper has leached into the HDPE. Notice that this grenade has 6 fins, to the AP grenades 4, but both may be found with a different number of fins. The nomenclature of the live version is M60.

The live version of this AP grenade is the M60P1.. but there are many, many different variations of yugo AP rifle grenades, and I don't know if they share the same nomenclature. The interesting thing about the inert training grenades is that they are made to accept a spotting charge. The nose cap, which unscrews, has a fixed firing pin on it, and there is a cavity behind it. Apparently, a small charge is added to the cavity, and when the grenade is fired and strikes the ground, impact inertia (hence the name) causes the spotting charge to slide forward, striking the fixed firing pin, and releasing whatever compound (smoke, chalk, or whatever) out of the holes on the body. I have never seen one of these charges.

This grenade is an Offensive Blast grenade, which I believe is called 'Zeneva'. What I found to be most interesting about this grenade is that there are very few metal parts. I have even found these with plastic pull rings. The blasting cap/primer/time delay assembly, which is all one piece, is aluminum. Very few ferous metal parts on this grenade (spring, striker, and striker axle). This grenade is filled with flake TNT, which has a wax binder and looks like flake soap. It has no frag generating mechanism, although there is a version with a frag sleeve (but the body is what I would best describe as 'british racing green'.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.