AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something very strange and very wrong going on here - 3 or 4 times now when I have been here on the message thread "1974 Tula AKM Kit", a fake Microsoft warning message pops up....well not quite pops up (it's not a regular pop-up) but instead replaces the page. The grammar and a mis-spelled word are what lead me to believe that this is something malicious, so I haven't clicked on it and just close the page. It's a random thing - I can't get it to repeat just by going to this message thread. When it pops up I run my anti-virus software and my computer is clean. This doesn't happen anywhere but here, on that message thread.

If it happens again, I will post the "message" here.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Im not experiencing any pop ups whatsoever. Your local machine might have one. Rookits are getting pretty slick nowadays. Id start scanning your machine asap.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
you guys should try downloading modzilla firefox and then do the add on "add blocker plus" Works great.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i was getting a annoying ad for a new chevy truck. it has since stopped popping up.
not sure why
I was only getting it when I was viewing as a guest, and it wouldn't stop popping back up. Once I logged in it went away

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some Windows virus blockers will trip from a hot linked image or avatar. Also, there is an ad at the bottom of the page for guests only. If you log in you will not see that ad.

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
I stopped using AdBlock Plus when v2.0 was released. As of version 2.0 of the plug-in, the author accepts money to allow certain ads to be "whitelisted" by his software.

An alternate version of the plug-in called AdBlock Edge uses much of the same source code, but does not allow the "acceptable unobtrusive ads".

NoScript was already mentioned, and is another great plug-in. It can stop all java scripts from running unless YOU whitelist the site. It takes some getting used to (knowing what sites to allow) and
can cripple some sites almost completely, but makes life much less stressful. Right now, NoScript is permanently allowing "theakforum.net" to run, but is blocking quantserve.com and googletagservices.com
while I'm on this site. You can also temporarily allow sites to run scripts. When you close the browser the temporary allowance is deleted, or you can click "revoke temporary permissions" to remove
them without closing your browser. I NEVER allow google or any search engine to run java scripts unless I need them for something specific. When I need to use google maps, I temporarily allow
google, google maps, and gstatic. As soon as I'm done, I immediately revoke the permissions.

Using a host list will prevent your browser from allowing certain sites to be accessed at all. Some anti-spyware software (like SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search & Destroy) will add 10s of thousands
of known malware sites to the host list, helping you stay out of trouble. Notice I said "helping".

Disabling cookies is a HUGE deal in stopping advertising on sites. Only allow cookies for sites that you ACTUALLY need them (an exception list). I have Firefox set to allow only theakforum.net cookie,
while the google and quantserve cookies are blocked. Neither of those is necessary for theAKForum to work, and if allowed could show any other site where I had been browsing. This means any advertising
from this site could follow me to other sites.

Internet Explorer is one of the most heavily targeted browsers for java and malware attack. Most people who use it are simple, every day users who have no idea how vulnerable they are to "drive-by
attacks" or malware installation.

Google Chrome is fine if you don't mind everything you do, or everywhere you visit, being logged to build an extensive, unique, and accurate model of your online activity. This model is used for advertising
and is what can be collected by the NSA, FBI, etc. In all honesty, Chrome might be fantastic, but I dislike google's business model and privacy invasion so much I won't give their browser a chance.

Firefox is good, but needs to be smacked back into shape with a few plug-ins. Mozilla has decided to take a stance of catering to folks who are too stupid to do a little reading, and has dumbed down their
browser to accommodate these mouth-breathers. They have included a silent update "feature" that may wipe out your plug-ins compatibility when the browser updates without your knowledge or consent.
When you install firefox, do NOT allow the maintenance feature to install. If you're hot for installing an update, check the revision history on Mozilla's site and see if anyone has had problems with it. Let everyone
else be the guinea pig.

If you're getting pop-up ads for virus infections, you might try Malwarebytes in addition to Spybot S&D. Use the FREE versions.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the same pop up it froze up my computer @ work.

The crap that popped up was similar - it claimed to be something from "Windows Advanced Security Center" that lists 3 virus's or Trojans that my computer is supposedly infected with that "might" cause problems - might is mis-spelled "m-i-h-g-t", and I am supposed to click on it to " prevent the system crash".

·
Registered
94 Posts
Folks, if this happens again, send me a link to the page where it happened. Sometimes an image link posted by a user on a certain page can trigger those virus warnings.
Thanks!

·
Registered
184 Posts
i got the virus popup from this site a few days ago. didnt remember the post or anything. it was a fake popup like outlined above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts