AK Rifles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i own a total of 3 AK’s now and i was just wondering, what’s the best method to smooth out the action of an AK?

On my milled AK this isn’t an issue but on my Maadi and my Saiga it is a fairly apparent pet peeve of mine.

I’ve taken my Dremel to all of the spots on the hammer that I’ve seen you’re supposed to online and I’ve seen minimal improvements but it’s still not quite as smooth as I’d like.

One has a single hook tapco G2 in it and the other has what I suspect to be a century FCG due to the “C” stamp that’s present although i could be wrong on that.

If bad American hammer geometry/design is the issue then i must wonder, do full auto AK hammers have these same issues?

When comparing photos of an OG AK hammer to your generic U.S. FCG, I can’t help but notice the OG hammer looks much smoother and has better geometry.

First two are obviously the OG hammer whilst you can clearly see the U.S. stamp on the last one. Look how rigid the U.S one looks in comparison.

Is there anyone out there that has a full auto hammer and a neutered hammer that’s willing to swap them out and do a “smoothness” test for me?

I’m very OCD about these rough actions, like i said, my milled AK’s action is ridiculously smooth and it’s kinda spoiled me.

Jay from Mishaco has a video about my exact same AK where he eludes to the exact same idea that the smoothness of the action on this gun will make other AK’s feel grimy and rough.

Can AK vets please give a newbie some clarity on this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Take a stone to all the stamped metal parts and knock down all the burrs. Smoothing out the rails helps a bunch. Don't have go all Dremel Dan on it.
One of those $1 whet stones will work wonders.
My $.02

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Best way to smooth it out for the novice gunsmith is to shoot it, then shoot it some more. More damage can be done by ''fixing" unbroken AKs than just letting the rifle do it's thing while you adapt to using it through practice, familiarization, range time and training.

What type, brand manufacturer are you working with?

Contrary to you tubers opinions, Nyet rifle is still probably fine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Tapco G2 that came in my WASR had that square notch which was like hitting a speed bump on the highway. My Draco which did not come with a G2 had a normal hammer profile and was smooth. I just swapped in a RAK-1 and never regretted it. I never liked the G2, while it was light, the break was unpredictable and when swapping between AKs my first shot was always a ‘surprise’, and for serious use, was a possible ND in my eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts