AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Are you a vendor for mountain house? I just did a dealer search and my local Walmart is on the list. What of theirs does Walmart usually stock?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am now :wink:

Walmart and most sporting good stores sell a handful of the pouches. They are $5-$10 and are 2-4 servings. I sell those pouches as well as the #10 cans designed for long term storage. What you see is for the most part a special order and it's more or less a 1 year food supply for 4 people. I am going to put together a package at some point that combines mountain house, some grains/rice/beans, and some other supplies as a turn key kit.

I expected the neighbors to wonder what the hell was going on but no none was around this afternoon. Me and my 3 year old did some sampling of the desserts tonight.

· Registered
1,810 Posts
What section of Walmart would I look? Also, how much $ does it cost for an order like that? I would like to have a 1 yr supply for my family of 4. I dont need a full supply, I have rice/beans, honey, canned foods, ramen, a few cases of MRE's...ect. ect. But some Mountain House stuff might be nice to go with it.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its back with the Camping stuff.

Here is the ballparks that I have identified

1 years worth of premium freeze dried entrees $4000 or so. 1 Years worth of rice / beans / grains $1000 or so but you'll go nuts in a few weeks.

I think you have to be somewhere in the middle. Rice and beans need to be the core, but supplement with the yummy entrees, desserts, breakfast etc. I enjoy cooking and would expect that several months after the SHTF you will have a fair amount of time on your hands on a typical day and cooking for 30 minutes will be an enjoyment, not a burden.

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Robpiat said:
I think you have to be somewhere in the middle. Rice and beans need to be the core, but supplement with the yummy entrees, desserts, breakfast etc.

Thats my plan, I am still working on the rice/beans. Thats the first thing I am stocking because its cheap and it will keep you alive. I dont know how to figure out how much I need, do you know the ballpark in lbs per person of rice/beans for a year?

Whats the basic list in a 1yr supply of Mountain House?

I wonder how long I could go eating only rice/beans and vitamin pills. Maybe I can try it. How long do you think I can make it? But before I do....would that be safe?

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 1 year supply is about 200 of the #10 Cans. Its about 50% entrees, 30% Veggies/Fruit, 10% desserts, and 10% meats.

I think walmarts prices on the pouches are about the same as anywhere but there is only 2-3 varieties at my walmart.

The pouches are good for up to 7 Years. The cans have a shelf life of up to 30 Years.

· Registered
2,539 Posts
DrugRunR said:
And you are even prepared with your primary mode of transportation in a SHTF. Nice color pink too (the bicycle)
hahaha. I love when people take pictures of their bad-ass guns and then you scroll to one side or the other and catch the kitty, the puppy, the child.

· Registered
4,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sniper48 said:
DrugRunR said:
And you are even prepared with your primary mode of transportation in a SHTF. Nice color pink too (the bicycle)
hahaha. I love when people take pictures of their bad-ass guns and then you scroll to one side or the other and catch the kitty, the puppy, the child.

Or the toes. Love the toes in the gun pics.

recon said:
Since walmart has only a slim selection . Where do you suggest to get these at a decent price?
REI has a decent selection/prices if you have one local. Online there are tons of places but none as prestigious as my little virtual shanty store :grin:

· Banned
2,405 Posts
"The ant and the grasshopper" - Aesop

I try for a minimum 5 year nonperishable food supply with a goal of eventually having a ten year supply. Seems every down cycle in the economy I find myself living off storage and off the land. The MH product I fit on shelves and in spare closets.

· Banned
2,405 Posts
recon said:
Since walmart has only a slim selection . Where do you suggest to get these at a decent price?
Some of the Walmarts here in the Rockies have their own "Preparedness Centers" with freeze-dried foods and other longterm storage foods. I traveled to Idaho and found the mindset there clearly focussed on preparation and survival. In fact I went to a couple of "Preparedness" stores and saw that even Walmart is in on the action.

I found a "Preparedness Center" at the local Walmart. It may be because of the fairly large LDS (Mormon) population in the area, however, it is interesting since "Preppers" and "Survivalists" outside the Rocky Mountain states probably don't see this in the Walmart stores in their areas. There are buckets of grains, canned goods, freeze-dried food items and blue water drums. Walmart isn't the only store I in the Rockies that does this either.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.