AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it was "awesome" in the true meaning of the word.

Looking up at the cockpit from the ground and seeing the bombadier's site and knowing THAT was the site that nuked Hiroshima.........

Awesome.

If you're in the Northern VA area and near Dulles airport, the Smithsonian put an annex of the National Aerospace museum there and it's top notch.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That's awesome stuff...

I work for the grandson of one of the men who dropped the bomb.

I feel lucky to be stationed where I'm at (Whiteman AFB) which is the 509th Bomb Wing. The same wing that dropped the two bombs. We have a B-29 on display at our front gate. Not to mention the most amazing Bomber in the world the B-2

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sounds llike it would be a good side trip. I need to take the family on a vacation through that part of the country. Lots of history.

A few years ago a buddy of mine got me a pic of the Enola Gay,he had Paul Tibbets sign it NGD or SOS, not sure which. It hangs in the gun room.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SVT said:
Please tell me they let you take pics! :shock:

Didn't take my camera............ :neutral:

But a buddy of mine did and I'll see if I can get them from him.

They also had a kick ass MiG-21...........reminded me of an AK......simple, reliable, got the job done. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Saw just the nose a few years back when they first put it on display.:cool:

Went with a buddy, we were looking for the protesters who said it was a symbol of American agression and they were going to disrupt the opening. But they were no-shows. :roll:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Templar said:
SVT said:
Please tell me they let you take pics! :shock:

Didn't take my camera............ :neutral:

But a buddy of mine did and I'll see if I can get them from him.

They also had a kick ass MiG-21...........reminded me of an AK......simple, reliable, got the job done. :twisted:
Yeah, id love to see some pics. :grin:

I still remember going to the atomic museum in New Mexico when I was little and oogling over the 'Fat Man' and 'Little Boy' atom bomb replicas.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Melvinator2k0 said:
I saw the Memphis Belle in Memphis a couple years ago, not the plane that changed the world as we knew but it was still cool. :grin:

I'd definitely like to see the Memphis Belle!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm going to the museum tommorrow after the Dulles gun show. Hopefully I can grab some mags and ammo, see the planes, and still get home in time for the coin toss in HiDef!

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
Hello to the new forum. I was "Richard-ar15" on the other board.

Only took that name because my usual was taken already. (Sold my last AR-15 in 1986, anyway.)

Took these pictures last month. The B-29 is kind of cramped, so it's hard to get a long view. It's mounted on jacks to elevate it so it won't take up all the floorspace.

P-47 next to the Enola Gay:

"George" next to that:

P-38 under the other wing:

Hawker Hurricane next to that:

"Luftwaffe Row" (Fw-190, Ar-234, Do-335, He-219 in the back)

Fw-190 alone:

Ar-234 alone (last one left in the world):

Do-335 (also the last one left):

He-219 "Uhu" night fighter. They're still restoring the wings. (Also the last one left in the world):

Got a few more, but I think I'm killing the dial-up guys.

-Rich
[/img]

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Templar said:
Melvinator2k0 said:
I saw the Memphis Belle in Memphis a couple years ago, not the plane that changed the world as we knew but it was still cool. :grin:

I'd definitely like to see the Memphis Belle!
I grew up literally crawling thru the Memphis Belle. At one time it stood out in front of or National Guard Hdqtrs. It was open, you could go thru it. A local crew of "vandals" cured that though :roll: .... then it sat in the weather for decades...nobody would pony up to have a fitting place built for it. I can honestly say I am glad it is where it will be respected!

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
The Air Force reclaimed the Memphis Belle last year and it's currently undergoing a full restoration at the Air Force Museum in Dayton.

It's a shame for the City of Memphis to lose her, but the good news is the
Belle will get the pampering she deserves.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Do you have an address for the museum annex? I'm going to Dulles next week and want to stop by.

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
I drive there, so all I know is to take the Udvar-Hazy Center exit off of Rte. 28.

The museum is actually on Dulles Airport authority property, and I've seen people pulling suitcases through there that must be on a layover.

You'll have to take a cab, though, as there's no sidewalks anywhere around there, just the usual lousy N. Va. traffic.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
If you are interested in Nuke stuff. The National Atomic Museum in Albuquerque NM, is worth the trip. WWII to present. At this time it is more focused on Nuclear Weapons than delivery platforms. When they build a new facility they will have outdoor displays of mainly missles. If you are in the area Los Alamos is close by, they also have a museum.

jithaca

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Richard W. said:
I drive there, so all I know is to take the Udvar-Hazy Center exit off of Rte. 28.

The museum is actually on Dulles Airport authority property, and I've seen people pulling suitcases through there that must be on a layover.

You'll have to take a cab, though, as there's no sidewalks anywhere around there, just the usual lousy N. Va. traffic.
Where is it in relation to the Rental car lots?

·
Registered
8,343 Posts
sdcromer said:
Richard W. said:
Where is it in relation to the Rental car lots?
The map I'm looking at doesn't indicate the rental lots position, but the agent at the desk would point you in the right direction.

Be advised that the parking rate at the museum is a flat $12 per car.

Ouch!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts