AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Nice find. I love mine, tons of fun to shoot. Sure is interesting how much the prices of GI carbines has gone up over the years. I wish the bad press from gun shop carneys and keyboard commandos would stabilize or decrease the average price of these fine little carbines.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I remember when the ads for M1 Carbine imports in the Shotgun News would specify ''Not Blue Sky imports''. You are fortunate the barrel is in good shape.

·
Registered
735 Posts
War time Inland-made receiver is alone a nice score. Barrel is a replacement / rearsenal as they didn't have bayonet lugs on them back then. No biggie. If all else checks out for $700 you have done well.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
War time Inland-made receiver is alone a nice score. Barrel is a replacement / rearsenal as they didn't have bayonet lugs on them back then. No biggie. If all else checks out for $700 you have done well.
bayonet lug isn't part of the barrel. That was part of a post-WW2 upgrade "package" / refurbishment for all M1 carbines after the war. Front sight comes off, and the new handguard retainer with bayonet lug goes on.

Reactions: PattonWasRight

·
Registered
735 Posts
bayonet lug isn't part of the barrel. That was part of a post-WW2 upgrade "package" / refurbishment for all M1 carbines after the war. Front sight comes off, and the new handguard retainer with bayonet lug goes on.
Yep, my mistake. Have you been able to get the number off the barrel to see if it corresponds to the receiver build date? That'd be a hail Mary caught in the end zone if so.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Judging by the pics you posted and without hitting up my reference material, I'm pretty sure your barrel and receiver are "correct" and made in 1943. By comparison I have a 43 Inland with a 8-43 stamped barrel and sn starting with 636 as opposed to your 6-43 barrel and sn starting 519.

What I find interesting about postwar rebuilds is the variety of parts they used. Not uncommon to find a mix of Rock-Ola, Winchester, etc small parts. Some reference links that cover parts ID and disassembly,
M1 Carbine Part 6: Component markings and manufacturers | Captain of a Crew of One
Part markings. (check here first) - M1 FAMILY

Sometimes ammo can be found for a good price from the CMP. I generally shoot USGI surplus, along with hand loaded ball and SP. These little carbines can be surprisingly accurate with a good load. Recoil is nil and to me they feel like shooting a 10/22. Due to some WW2 family history and the fact that they are a pleasure to shoot, mine get a lot of range use. Using it within it's original intent I think it's not a bad home/self defense choice. Stick with good condition USGI mags and you should not have any trouble. Magazines were made by a bunch of contractors and picking one up from each can be a hobby in itself. While I have some 30 rounder mags I prefer the 15 round mags. I feel they keep the weapon compact and I usually have two more in the "stock" pouch. If all else fails you could use the bayonet and make the grass grow and there is a rifle grenade attachment for them......

Again nice find and post up a range report.

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Its hard to tell from the pictures, but if your "M" on the mag release has a line under it, its good to go to use 30 round magazines. You can also check the opposite side and look for the extra tab.
You also might want to check your barrel out really well, but use a USGI 30.06 ball round, and check to see the barrel was not "dented" when they marked it Blue Sky. I can still remember these being sold at Woolworths for $199 each in the late 80s. As long as your barrel is good, its a great buy. PM me if you want to know where to get aftermarket 30 round mags that actually work. I'm not sure who made them, but I suspect it was Taiwan or possibly South Korea.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So my buddy who also works there took it out for me and ran it. Gun cycles fine and groups just fine for a surplus rifle. Just had to pay for the ammo.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Congrats, now the search begins for 30 rd original mags.
OP if you want 30 rd mags study up on how tell the difference between surplus mags and commercial or fakes. Only get US GI surplus. The commercial or fakes 30 rounders usually are crap and don't work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts