AK Rifles banner

Snubbie recomendations?

3K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Glock Holiday 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Looking for something super lightweight and reliable.
I already have an idea but I'm curious what guys might recommend.

I want something that I can carry in a pocket holster with no problems.

And in case you were wondering, I was planning on carrying .38 + P + in it rather than 357.

#2 ·
I know you said .357, but you might want to try one first if you have not. Snubby's are great for CCW IMO, but a good .357 is quite large, and harder to conceal unless your a big guy.

In any case, I would look really hard at pre lock S&W. I would also consider a .38 as well.

#3 · (Edited)
I second this. I wanted a .357 snubbie until I shot one. I got a S&W no dash model 36 from the 70s I believe instead. The J frames suck to shoot, but perfect to carry (their intended purpose). It is the only weapon I can carry out of the waistband and still be able to conceal it with just a t-shirt.

edit -

#5 ·
Ruger LCR!!
I got a .38spl one for my daughter. Her first 5 shots out were a tight center mass group.
This revolver is lightweight and just rides perfectly in the front pocket.
They make one in .357 if you insist on that caliber.

I was sold when I got to do a side by side dryfire with a S&W. Hands down to better trigger pull on the Ruger.

#7 · (Edited)
At one time I only carried S&W J frames model 49's and model 36 handguns. I had a LCR in .38 and I liked it. The Ruger poly frame seems to soak up some recoil and it's light and easy to carry. Only reason I don't still carry it is because I went with a Kahr black diamond PM9 since it's way flater in the pocket compared to a revolver and I can hit quick follow up shots consistently better and at greater distances than I could with the Ruger. I think the Ruger LCR in 38 special would be an excellent choice.

#9 ·
Light 357 snubbies hurt. Light 38 snubbies aren't good. After trying 2 different types of snubbies I came to this conclusion. Semi autos are better. Here's why.

i bought a S&W model 36 2in bbl in 38 spl. Nice small 5 shot 38. Or so you'd think. Side by side it's the same length as a G19 and just as thick (don't forget the cylinder thickness). At night, when I walk my dog I can't tell what I point at because its iron sights. 5 shots (some are 6). Coming from a bottom feeder, wheel guns are a bitch for quick reloads. Reloads are thick. About as thick as a G19 mag and about as long as a G26 mag. They are hard to shoot accurately. this is a point and shoot gun. In this particular model you get the same size, and weight of a modern semi with half the usability! My other one is a model 12 airtight. Nice looking but even avg 38 fmj have an excegurated recoil.

If I was going. With a snubby 357 I'd get a S&W 640 or a Ruger sp101. There's enough weight there to soak up the 357 recoil. Otherwise I'd stick with a compact 9mm such as a Kahr PM9 or comprable

#10 ·
Lightweight and .357 magnum do not go well together. Second, a snubby revolver loses a lot of energy. However if you are bent on this, I'd check out either a Ruger SP101 or S&W 60-9. They are very compact and are true snubby magnums. Anything bigger is just retarded to carry as a snubby. Finally a 2" barreled S&W generally has a very short exractor rod- meaning, it sucks to use for fast reloads.

60-9, .357 2 1/8" barrel- bring a magnum to a J frame confrontation.
Some to get; 586 L Comp Pre- Lock, you are the man.
686-4 seven shot snubby, rare.
686-5 seven shot snubby rare but not as refined as the -4 series.
66-4 3", you are now the BBQ King.
66-4 2", good.
65-5 3", pimp daddy.
Any pre lock 19 snubby, just say "get your shine box kid".

Ruger, OK but built like a brick shit house.

Colt Python 2.5", badass.

Finally, Dan Wesson 15-2 with snub conversion barrel, heavy.

#11 ·
I generally carry a Dan Wesson model 15 with a 2 1/2" EWK Extra Heavy barrel in a kydex IWB a local guy made for me. It's not too awfully heavy but it's as small as I'll go with .357. Bonus: you can pick up DW 15s all day long for between 3-400 bucks and they're friggin strong as hell.

#12 ·
I have a S&W model 65, 3 inch. I have also carried a S&W Model 12 2 inch. I prefer the magnum model over the .38 for the simple reason you can load it with magnums, if you want. If the gun is being used as a night stand weapon, I'd go with a +p.38 load in the model 65 or 66. That way, if you have to light it off inside your home, your hearing loss would be measured in hours as opposed to days with the magnum load.

#19 ·
I hear you. Those are pricey when they come up for sale, sometimes pulling more dollars than the 4" model. Can't say I have ever seen one in person either.

#17 ·
S&W J frame is hard to beat for carry revolver. I currently carry a 442.

It is small, light and reliable, BUT .... I shoot absolutely horrible with it, I doubt I can hit a man past 15 yards, under stress, firing as fast as I can.

SO ... I got me a Bersa CC 380, which is the same size as the J frame, weights about the same, has 9 round capacity, and I can hit man size target at 50 yards!

I've tried every small pistol out there. The super small ones (P3AT, LCP, etc) are totally useless unless your target is 2 yards away + not very reliable.

To me the Bersa CC 380 is the best compromise, not the smallest or lightest, but not useless like the smallest and lightest.

#18 ·
<---------Colt and Smith snubby carrier for years...
Tried some of the lightweight alloy variations and didn't like (plus had some cracking on 2x 360PDs)...
I reluctantly tried an LCR after reading all the outstanding reviews, I even tried to not like it...
I now collect Colts/Smiths and carry LCRs, they really did get a ton of things right with it.
Natural pointer, slick shape pockets well, wonderful trigger, lightweight & absorbs recoil.

i personally don't believe in 357 or 38 +p in lightweight snubs as the negatives outweigh any perceived advantage IMO.
The +p loads in 38 really need longer barrels to give the powder time to burn and gas to expand, so in a snub you generally end up making more noise, flash, and recoil than you do worthwhile velocity increase.

#20 · (Edited)
I don't like .357 subbies at all for several reasons.

1. You cannot get even a fraction of the cartridge's potential out of a 1¾ or 2" barrel.
2. WAY too loud.
3. Too much muzzle blast/flash
4. If it does not out weigh a 1911, recoil is terrible and so are follow up shots.

A .357 needs a 4" minimum barrel IMO; 6" is even better.

I carried a five round Charter arms 1¾" barrel snubbie back in the early eighties, BUT I used a very specific handload in it. It was a slightly elongated 158 grain SWC shaped bullet with a hollow point as deep as an inverted wadcutter and a gas check. Pushed by 2.0 grains of bull's eye it would expand to ¾" diameter in wet news paper or sand and penetrated 4" to 5". The old man that developed both the bullet and the load did not recommend it for aluminum framed revolvers and stressed weighing every load. You must be careful with the very fast burning bull's eye. An inverted wadcutter would be a good second choice.

#21 ·
I agree with you that to reach the maximum potential of the 357 ctg you need the 6". I also agree with the blast and sound, which is why I only shoot magnum rounds at the range or outside with hearing protection.

#24 ·
Don't discount the .327 Fed mag. A snub isn't going to be a range gun you're putting thousands of rounds through, so while ammo availability isn't the greatest, ammo is out there and it's a good alternative to .38 SPL P+ in a small revolver.

#29 ·
I've sold a lot of my revolver collection over the years. I found J Frame sized revolvers are best with .38 special. For magnum's, I like the 586 L Comp- perfect all around for carry, capacity, handling etc. Finally for hunting, 629-4 or 629-5 with the 5" barrel.

#30 ·
My wife bought a Ruger LCR .38, I liked it so much I bought myself one. They are not pretty but if you intend on using it for your carry weapon they are great, lightweight, comfortable, and easy to carry (the houge grip is sometimes hard to hide). I've carried mine inside a pocket holster in my front pocket of cargo jeans with no problem, but I usually carry it in the front of my pants "IWB", covering it with my t-shirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.