AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an SGL 31-94 and would like to mod it to look like an earlier version of the 74...could the head on the bump rivet be ground down and welded over then refinished w/o bad consequences?...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Might be a good idea to remove the bump rivit and the bullet guide, weld up the hole in the reciever and install a bullet guide with the turning ramp like the 74 your trying to reproduce would have. I believe the bump rivit would not last long without going through the reciever for strength, seems like a lot of impact occurs to the rivit since an SGL that I shoot a lot has peening on the surface that the bolt hits.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Not sure what the trunnion looks like in a SGL 31-94. If it is not milled for a bullet guide you might need some fab work. Unless a Saiga etc., after market can fit etc. I am not familiar with those types. drilling and taping to attach the guide., or welding or press plating the attachment rivet are things to consider on a receivered trunnion as well.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks to me like a riveted Bulgy guide w/the turning ramp would be a fit and probably not too hard to do...(he says just before the impending disaster begins to unfold...:rolleyes:)...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Buy a bulgy 104 and be done. That IS a copy of a Russian AK74 (not a 74M that the sgl series is modeled after)

the rear sight base will be "wrong" as well as the gas block, fsb, top cover, trigger guard. Thats if youre being anal collector.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
It looks to me like a riveted Bulgy guide w/the turning ramp would be a fit and probably not too hard to do...(he says just before the impending disaster begins to unfold...:rolleyes:)...
So that trunnion is milled and slotted for a regular bullet guide in addition to the side rivet guide? Interesting.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yupper...as best as I can see the 31-94 trunnion is milled out and will take the riveted Bulgy guide w/the turning ramp...the turning ramp is shouldered and off-set to the left towards where the bump rivet is currently located...I'm still just in the mulling stage on this thing and am leaning towards making it look like a later version 74 (faux punch press divots on barrel components, smooth/cover the pins, engraving and a decent finish)...this would also probably preserve if not slightly enhance the value of the gun...

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Do you have or can you post a pic of the trunnion at the area where a conventional bullet guide would rest? I'm interested in what that looks like. I have a number of AK74's etc., but none of the contemporary or modified sporter AK74/100 types that are on the market today. That info would be good to know.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DSC03015.JPG DSC03017.JPG DSC03018.JPG

First shot is from above showing bump rivet and the bullet guide...last two shots are from underneath trying to show the milled slot in the trunnion that the guide is riveted in to...

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
OK.,thanks.:eek: That does look similar/same as the earlier style AK74 trunnion inletting. Good to know from a parts or other rework point of view..

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
That change was possibly made when the switch to the bump rivet was done. The ramp was no longer wide enough for two rivets. The two rivet feed ramp eliminated the need to mill the slot in the trunnion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts