AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are made by the dreaded Pro-Mag but I still wanted to try them so I ordered a few tonight. Has anybody tried these? I figured that the price is pretty low so even if they wear out its not a big deal.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I've heard mostly good things about 'promag' from people that have actually used them. I think 'Hootbro' posted he liked them, but replaced the springs in his. I think he felt it was weaker than the original.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have several of the black waffel type that I replaced the springs in, they work very well. The springs are about 1 1/2 in shorter than a regular ak mag spring.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
My AKM came with a black waffle Promag. I bought two more because it worked well and looked "right" with the black poly furniture the gun had.
I keep them loaded with 30 rounds between trips to the range every couple weeks. They've functioned flawlessly so far. The springs always provide plenty of pressure to feed rounds properly.
They do wiggle a bit more side to side than a steel mag does in the rifle because they flex/compress inwards more readily. But their poly body slips into place in the rifle easier than a steel mag does. Removal feels very smooth too.
Almost a case of ammo though these so far and no problems.
I have to laugh when I hear folks bitch about them. My AKM isn't one of the fancy builds. But these feed it HP, FMJ and SP ammo with no problems at all.
I've decided there's no way I can sell this AKM. (I considered it to fund a new Hungarian build from In Range.) It is my first one afterall and it runs sweet. Eventually I'll have it and my own home builds in the safe.

I was looking at my rifles this evening. The Yugo 24/47 Mauser is definately the "looker" in the safe. It's walnut stock is a beauty, the machine work and bluing is terrific for a service rifle and it's functioning at the range was flawless. My Yugo SKS and Ewbanks Romy AKM and MN 91/30 look like well made workhorses to me. They feel good, function flawlessly and in their own ways are superb old rifles. You know... tough, solid, well made and overbuilt for the job. If I had to grab any of them in an emergency (This includes the Mauser. She's pretty, but she's a shooter!) I know they'll serve me well. There is just something about these old guns that really grabs me on a number of levels. Then I look at my Chinese SKS. It just doesn't seem to belong in the same league as the others. I think I need to put a couple hundred rounds through it this week at the range and see if it grows on me. Otherwise I'll sell it and put that towards another .45 pistol.
Hell, it's late and I'm rambling. Have a good night!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mag has not made it here yet. I will let you guys know how it works when I get it though.

Has anybody else got one yet?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
They have actually gone thru a few generations of those promags to get them working right. The last batch of Promag black mags are third gen mags and work pretty damn well.

I have one of the smoke mags that was given to me as a gift and also got to see one of the prototype clear mags promag was throwing around the idea of manufacturing, but it was thought that they would get too dirty too fast so they went with the smoke.

My smoke mag has been flawless thru my Arsenal SAM7.

I'm trying to get them to make the quad mag 74 design, I've given the pictures and schematic drawings of the mag to the right people.... so we'll see if it takes root.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. Jake. That sounds encouraging. UPS says that my 12 smoke mags will get here on Friday. My two new Yugo fixed stock AK's will be at least a week behind that.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I hope that they make some Quad stack mags in 7.62x39mm!!

Did Promag add steel onto the locking areas of the smoke magazines?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts