AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update - does the 106CR need to go back? SLR CR crooked rear sight leaf

Update in post below; 107cr sight leaf is fine, but the 106 is having FTF issues.

I've picked up an SLR-106CR new from Kvar, and an SLR-107CR that somebody did some home gunsmithing on.

Both have the rear sight leaf off slightly, the 106 more than the 107. If you look straight down the leaf on both the are off a few degrees, and not completely straight. When I drop a laser bore-sighter in both, they are both sighted in (the 106 from the factory, 107 from the previous owner).

Is this a common issue for them?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I have seen this on several AKs. Hungarian, Chinese, Bulgarian, Romanian, Egyptian. It's just part of the loose tolerances of the design. Something I think should be tightened up on newer models but probably won't.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My SGL's, SLR's, and Preban Yugo all have this 'issue' of misalignment on the rear sight leaf.
Pretty sure it is normal if its not too excessive.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts

It was a simple fix. I needed the sight to move to the left so I removed a small amount of metal from the right side where the little tab on the sight leaf touched tge RSB. I used a small diamond bit on my dremel. Just remove small amounts and check often until it is centered.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
How does the rifle shoot? If it shoots to point of aim without extraordinary sight adjustments. Good to go. Only if requires extraordinary sight adjustments or is so far off as to be distracting is a "fix" required. IMHO.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies... I finally got both the 107CR & 106CR to the range.

107CR - not one hiccup in 150 rds of yugo surplus. Previous owner had chopped the barrel to 12 inches & pinned on one of the cnc warrior extended boosters. Once I get an ultimak+aimpoint on the rifle, I think this will be my new favorite rifle. Will just need to SBR it for 104 goodness :) The rear sight was fine; just front sight needed to be lowered a bit.

106CR - the sights are accurate, and did not need adjustment, but are hard to use because I have this sight picture:

rrr f rrr
rrr f xrrr
rrr f xrrr
rrrrrrrrrr

F is the front sight, R is the rear sight, and the X is the front of the rear sight leaf (if that makes sense). I tried taking pics, but my camera wouldn't focus it properly.

Also, out of 120 rds of Federal xm193, and 30 rds of hornady steel case 55 gr training ammo, I had the rifle FTF 2 rounds of xm193. Not only did it FTF, it also bend the rounds pretty badly. Each failure happend from a different magazine; one circle 10 black, and one circle 10 clear.

Need to decide if this rifle goes back for replacement or repair. Any debugging tricks?

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
One the 106CR, check the right side of the rear of the left feed lip and check the left side of the rear of the right feed lip. What you're looking for is evidence that either side of the bottom of the bolt is contacting a magazine feed lip as it passes between them.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Thanks for the replies... I finally got both the 107CR & 106CR to the range.

107CR - not one hiccup in 150 rds of yugo surplus. Previous owner had chopped the barrel to 12 inches & pinned on one of the cnc warrior extended boosters. Once I get an ultimak+aimpoint on the rifle, I think this will be my new favorite rifle. Will just need to SBR it for 104 goodness :) The rear sight was fine; just front sight needed to be lowered a bit.

106CR - the sights are accurate, and did not need adjustment, but are hard to use because I have this sight picture:

rrr f rrr
rrr f xrrr
rrr f xrrr
rrrrrrrrrr

F is the front sight, R is the rear sight, and the X is the front of the rear sight leaf (if that makes sense). I tried taking pics, but my camera wouldn't focus it properly.

Also, out of 120 rds of Federal xm193, and 30 rds of hornady steel case 55 gr training ammo, I had the rifle FTF 2 rounds of xm193. Not only did it FTF, it also bend the rounds pretty badly. Each failure happend from a different magazine; one circle 10 black, and one circle 10 clear.

Need to decide if this rifle goes back for replacement or repair. Any debugging tricks?

I would call K-Var. Chances are you got one that doesn't have the updated feedramp bevel for all Generations of magazines. Let them fix it. Seriously. Even if you have to pay one way in shipping, you avoid losing your warranty.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would call K-Var. Chances are you got one that doesn't have the updated feedramp bevel for all Generations of magazines. Let them fix it. Seriously. Even if you have to pay one way in shipping, you avoid losing your warranty.

It looks like the sides of the feed ramp are beveled on the bottom & sides. The magazines are not touching the feed ramp at all. Been a busy week, and I haven't dug out the mags that I used at the range. I'm going to fit each of them into the rifle and see if perhaps some of the mags are not seating correctly, as well as look to see if the bolt is scraping on top.

I tried using my power custom/red star arms rear sight tool to remove the rear sight leaf, but the area where the wrench normally pushes is not big enough for it to fit in. On most of my AK's it slips right in the square sized area, but the SLR-106CR is rounded.

I realize the tolerances provide for irregularities like this, but I'm starting to get burned out on AK's due to sight issues. When my wasr had crooked sights, it was fine, but the last two factory guns I've picked up have issues. The 107 was used, so no big deal, but the slr106cr & vepr 223 rpk are frustrating. (vepr front sight is canted slightly to the side... didn't realize it until about an hour ago. my other veprs have all been fine, I was surprised at the rpk). Part of the problem with buying sight unseen... I've had surprisingly bad luck finding anything but wasr's in Phoenix.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok - I shot 3 more mags of M193 in my slr106cr, and had 4 failures to feed. All 4 rounds were bent. There is also a fairly wide scrape on each of the bent rounds as well.

If you flip the round over, there is a pretty hefty scratch on all of them.

I took the dust cover off and fed some rounds manually, and either the bolt or bolt carrier is scratching the mags in the magazine.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
It looks to me like the bolt is passing over the top of the cartridge. Perhaps it's pushing it part of the way (like catching the extractor groove). Any way you slice it, sent that rifle in for repair. Unless things have changed significantly, their customer service is awful. Document everyone you speak with and send them a detailed letter about what's wrong. Be persistent. If you get it back and it's not 100%, send it back again.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's going back. Called k-var today, they redirected me to Arsenal USA for warranty work. What was interesting was that kvar told me to use my kvar invoice number so that Arsenal could look my info up :confused:. Going to get the RMA from arsenal tomorrow and then send the rifle in.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Yeah, it's going back. Called k-var today, they redirected me to Arsenal USA for warranty work. What was interesting was that kvar told me to use my kvar invoice number so that Arsenal could look my info up :confused:. Going to get the RMA from arsenal tomorrow and then send the rifle in.

KVAR and Arsenal share a parking lot. Same group of people, 2 companies on paper for legal reasons.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts