AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First one I have seen in person. I was tasked to refinish this beast. Once the dollar store black paint was removed (complete with runs) I took note of the condition of the metal polishing. It looked like it was prepped by a 5 year old on meth with a bench grinder. Then dragged on a concrete highway for a few miles for a final polish. The receiver had fairly deep grinding marks going in every direction. It looks to me like some markings were removed before it was given the $2 paint job There will not be any pics. Granted it looks 1000x better then when it arrived but I can't perform miracles. The point of this post is not to berate Arsenal .....But is this typical of the 107UR series ? I was thinking of buying one of these for myself as an investment. After working on this mess i'm not so sure I care to spend 1k on something that looks anything like this one did. There also were other issues that I corrected other then cosmetic that i'm not going to make public.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Mine is similar. One thing to remember is that the 7.62 Krink kit has been $700 or so recently. So while shitty quality, if you look at the alternative its still probably worth it as a starting off point.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an AK-105 parts kit with a NDS receiver. After this 3 day 20+ hour refinish job I believe i'm going to pass on the Arsenal product. While the 105 is not a krink its close enough for me for a SBR 7.62 to add to my collection. at least I won't have to worry about the build quality :cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts
There also were other issues that I corrected other then cosmetic that i'm not going to make public.
Why the hell not? Thats the point of this forum to help others out and let us know what to look for if we don't know already.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Rasper said:
There also were other issues that I corrected other then cosmetic that i'm not going to make public.
Why the hell not? Thats the point of this forum to help others out and let us know what to look for if we don't know already.
i agree, thats pretty crappy of you...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Perhaps the guys at Arsenal that built my ban-era Sam-7 years ago aren't the same that assemble the rifles there today.
They might not even be any Bulgarians working there any more.
Paint over park finish problems I can live with but all the quality problems kind of bum me out.
Kind of diminishes the braggin' rights... :sad:

·
Registered
519 Posts
After comparing my new SLR106F with three other AK types that I own the only thing it does better is hold a closer group, it does not under any circumstances come close to my MAK91, but does out-shoot the others. I was pissed off when the paint or "squid juice" came off and have since altered cleaning practices on this rifle. If it weren't for the fact that my wife likes it, the stock folds/unfolds securely, and it shoots well I would be doing what I could to get my money back. I handed it to one of my friends to try the trigger, then handed him my custom built gun to do the same, the expression on his face said it all. Custom gun $650...Arsenal $800...the custom rifle doesn't quite hold as close a group but then I'm much happier with its overall build. I hope I didn't belabour my point...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rasper said:
OK . I noticed a large gap between the front trunion ,and receiver. When I removed the trunion there was bits of metal trash between the 2 parts. The factory just riveted it together. it was bad enough that the receiver had an outward bow. It worked out for the best anyway because after redoing the finish on the bolt, The headspace had changed since the the thick globs of crappy paint were gone from the bolt face. so I went ahead and tig welded the barrel pin notch reset the barrel and drilled and reamed a new notch using the original pin. ( yes I know I could have used an oversized pin ). Also just for general info this was a SBR conversion. The gas port in the barrel was close to 3mm already but the gas block had to be drilled to a larger size. The reason I didnt post this info is i'm sure some of these issues are not common to the 107 series. This rifle must have been built on a Friday.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
mine doesn't have those issues.
Yes, ALL of the 107s when you SBR them you must drill the FSB/GB hole larger....

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's why I didnt want to post the problems in the first place with this particular 107. It was not my intent to bash an Arsenal product .. I was sure this was not the norm for such an expensive AK. At least now I can cross one of these off my wish list.

·
Registered
72 Posts
107U

When these first hit the market I wanted one bad. Then I got to see one up close before actually laying my money down. The one I looked at seemed functionally fine but, cosmetically it looked like something straight from Century Arms. Runny paint and grind marks all over. My money went elsewhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts