AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting closer to being able to buy my first AK. I've decided on an Arsenal SLR-107F. A dealer not too far from me has one in stock right now, and I'd like to know what to look for to make sure it isn't one of the rifles with issues. Is there a serial # range to stay away from? The sights look straight to me, but how can I tell if the bore is concentric?
Also, he is asking $879, which I think might be a bit high, but I'm not sure. If it is a bit high, it's not a big deal to me since I will be supporting a local friendly shop, and I get to inspect it before I put down any money.

I'd also like to add that this rifle is the first Arsenal I have ever seen in person, and it is the nicest looking AK I have ever seen. I was really impressed by the fit, finish, and feel of the SLR-107F compared to the other AK's he had in his shop.

Oh yeah, one more question. I really like the looks of the metal triangle folding stock. I understand that it is easy to swap the polymer folder for the metal one. What I'd like to know though, is if I put the triangle folder on the rifle, would I then have to add another US made part to maintain compliance with the law?

Thanks. :smile:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Look to see if the FSB/GB is canted. Look at the position of the front sight post. You wouldn't want one that was pushed all the way to the right or left. I bought two 107FR model's that are past the 1000 serial number range, and they are prefect. Some arrive with a test target, but my two did not. Overall, examine the rifle the best you can, and ask to remove the muzzle device to inspect.

As far as installing a metal triangle stock. Yes, you will need to install a US part. I used the replica US made Bulgarian flash hider's from DPHArms. Though one could replace their gas piston with a US made one, or replace the followers in their magazines with US made ones. The best route IMO would be the flash hider's.

·
Banned
344 Posts
No numbers on bad ones,if shipped anytime May or later and has a comp. according to arsenal it is fine, all problem ones were shipped before may, also the good 1s are said to come with target but dont! Get the FR rather than the F model which is $100. cheaper. :razz:

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Yes, definitely get one with a scope rail and make sure the sight is not canted.

These are great guns and I am sure you will love it!

TabulaRasa said:
Get the FR with the scope rail! :twisted:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yeah, I held out for the railed model's as well. The dealer I went through had some without, but requested that he ordered two that did. It took about a week, as he got them through RSR.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Were it me? I would not buy one unless the dealer CERTIFIED, on pain of full refund, that the rifle did NOT have canted sites.

Purely a personal opinion - but I have no data that Arsenal has corrected the issues with this particular rifle. No recall of defective models, no official admission of issues... nothing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Trotsky said:
Were it me? I would not buy one unless the dealer CERTIFIED, on pain of full refund, that the rifle did NOT have canted sites.

Purely a personal opinion - but I have no data that Arsenal has corrected the issues with this particular rifle. No recall of defective models, no official admission of issues... nothing.
I'd contact Uber Brothers then... They paid my shipping back to Arsenal for me...

Spooky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.

What is so great about the rail? I was planning on getting an Ultimak and mounting an Aimpoint on it, so I don't really have any use for the side rail anyway.

He only has the one 107F right now, and he said he'd drop the price to $849+ tax for me.

He had three, and he hasn't heard any complaints from the guys who bought the other two. In fact, he said he wasn't even aware of any issues with them, but he isn't a regular Arsenal dealer. He told me he only got them because a couple of his regular customers had asked about them. They are the ones that bought the other two rifles he had.

He did tell me that if I had any issues with it, I could bring it back to him and he'd take care of it for me. Seems like a decent deal to me, but if you guys really think I'd be better off with the rail model, I'm sure he'd order one for me.

ETA: The rifle has a '74 style compensator instead of the flash hider. I don't know if it has a test target or not, I'll have to ask him.

·
Banned
344 Posts
That is the one everybody wants, it usually goes for $100. more. I heard of 3 people who bought the F model and are wanting to get a rail put on theirs and they regret not getting that version. If you ever wanted to sell it in the future, the rail would be a great selling point! I have never heard anything good about a top-cover rail with an optic on it! :grin:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy it.

When I run an optic on an AK, it's an Ultimak rail and an Aimpoint, so the side rail doesn't mean anything for me.

The muzzle brake rifles were released after the screw up with the initial batch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Templar said:
If it were me, I'd buy it.

When I run an optic on an AK, it's an Ultimak rail and an Aimpoint, so the side rail doesn't mean anything for me.

The muzzle brake rifles were released after the screw up with the initial batch.
Thanks Templar.
It was the pics of your SLR-106FR that gave me the idea for the Ultimak rail w/Aimpoint. I'll probably add the flashlight w/mount and the modified safety lever like yours as well. I really like the way that set up looks, and it seems very practical. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
It seems like the side rail would just be wasted on me. Besides, all the optic mounts I've ever seen for the side rail were all too high, plus the fact that you can't fold the stock with optics mounted.

Also, should I get the vented or non-vented Ultimak for an SLR-107F?

·
Banned
344 Posts
I am not trying to get anything going, and have no first-hand exp. but have read several reports of problems with the ULIMAK rail and any type of optics, when the gas tube gets to hot after extended firing sessions! :roll: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
vz58kid said:
I am not trying to get anything going, and have no first-hand exp. but have read several reports of problems with the ULIMAK rail and any type of optics, when the gas tube gets to hot after extended firing sessions! :roll: :confused: :confused:
With shitty optics, yes, it might be an issue.

Not with an Aimpoint.

CJ1, I went with the vented Ultimak because full size AK's are honestly a little over gassed. The Hungarians kept the vented gas tube when they went to stamped AKM's and never had an issue.

It boils down to personal preference I guess. In a shorter barrel I'd go with non vented, but with a standard 16" rifle, no issues.

·
Registered
789 Posts
[quote="CJ1
Also, should I get the vented or non-vented Ultimak for an SLR-107F?[/quote]

As Templar said it probably doesn't much matter whether you go vented or not. I have 3 or 4 Ultimaks mounted on full length AKs, all of them are non-vented, and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
lionhart said:
I'm still hoping that LaRue brings there optic mount to market, which will mount to the side rail.
Me too but I'm getting tired of waiting. That Ultimak setup seems just fine and I like that I could fold the stock with that setup. I do want to see what LaRue comes out with though :smile:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Weren't the plain SLR107F's virtually unaffected by the Great Canted Sight Fiasco of 2008? I don't seem to recall anyone with the plain SLR107F having to send his rifle back to Arsenal. Of course any rifle can have canted sights....

I have mixed feelings on the scope rail/folding stock combo. You can't use the rail for an optic and fold the stock at the same time. If you use an Ultimak like Templar said, it makes the issue moot. I'm almost of the opinion that if you can have the folding stock, the rail is not as critical.

Installing the steel triangle folder is easy, and YES, you DO need to use one more US-made part in order to legally install it. K-VAR just released a new US-made magazine, and the US-made floorplates and followers are available separately, so this isn't much of an issue either.

My SLR107FR wears the skeleton triangle folder, and I'll be gleefully installing US-made floorplates on my shooter mags as soon as UPS delivers them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
I have mixed feelings on the scope rail/folding stock combo. You can't use the rail for an optic and fold the stock at the same time. If you use an Ultimak like Templar said, it makes the issue moot. I'm almost of the opinion that if you can have the folding stock, the rail is not as critical.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I also like how the Ultimak puts the sight farther forward than mounted on the rail would be. I think I'm going to start saving my pennies for an Ulitmak/T-1

Zane Zackerly said:
Installing the steel triangle folder is easy, and YES, you DO need to use one more US-made part in order to legally install it. K-VAR just released a new US-made magazine, and the US-made floorplates and followers are available separately, so this isn't much of an issue either.
I want to try this too, I liked how yours looked. So, just installing the new floor plates on my mags would be enough right?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I bought an SLR-107-F for my wife, she likes it...the stock is too short for me I use the NATO length which is probably available for this rifle as well but as I said its her rifle. Capable of a 1" three shot group at 25 yards, has a fairly decent trigger and as you mentioned I was very impressed with the fit and finish.
I was dismayed however when I found that the finish is in impervious to certain cleaning solutions that nearly everything else I own is. I put a good coating of valve lapping compound in the action and rails to pre-smooth things up prior to firing. I worked the action for at least 100 cycles, then used a higher grade of polish and repeated. In the end I took the bolt and receiver rail and sprayed them with Brake Clean, something I've used to clean everything I own for years...the finish promptly began running off. I'm told it is jokingly referred to as "squid-ink" and that is exactly what it looks like, a very dark purplish ink. Fortunately I had not started spraying the rest of the rifle and used simple green and compressed air to clean the rest. I was pissed and mentioned it to the dealer, apparantly they have dealt with this problem...I have a grey bolt and rail, wiser for the experience.
You will like your rifle, I'd check into the finish...the Ultimak and Aimpoint is what I am mounting on the rifle for my wife, thats all she will ever need and probably all anyone would considering the actual range capability of the 7.62 x 39.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts