AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have one. I tend to like it and have been told it is 'pretty good' from some folks I trust.

It is marked Arsenal Bulgaria and with an Importer name from here in Tennessee.

Did I get lucky by getting it? And if possible a resonable value on what it is worth. And no it is not for sale as I am giving it to my son.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Good solid milled rifles. They were built using bare receivers imported from Arsenal Bulgaria using Hungarian milled kits.

There should be some markings as to who actually built the rifle up.

MSC, Blue Ridge, and Gordon Tech all built them.

Your son is getting a great AK! :cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh how my memory fails me. Was Blue Ridge the one in TN?
Anyways I would say around $600. Im sure someone with a better memory wil chime in shortly.
You might want to have an extra FCG handy if you got one of the pot metal disconnectors as I did. Its just a matter of time before it cracks.
Also if you really wanna make your son happy get some type 3 wood to throw on that badboy. If you find some thts in so-so shape send it to Z_recto, he did mine. I know the only thing Soviet is the wood but it still looks good.
E.T.A. Let me get Broncodarts over here. He used to work for one of the companys mentioned and will be able to tell you all about them.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Alright I'm here.

First off Blue Ridge was in Fort Mill SC. The importer was Intrac of Knoxville Tn. The disconnectors that Grady is talking about were not pot metal but actually 4140 stainless steel. The reason that they broke is that they became brittle after they were hardened. My "metalurgist" boss should have known that. I had a few sets of my own and they all broke too. 1 lasted about 1500 rounds the next one lasted 10. If your FCG is marked BRP prepare to install a new set. At the time they were the only milled FCG on the market and they were great except for the weak disconnectors. Get a Tapco double hook set and you are gtg. The one you have may or may not have marings on it if it was built by Blue Ridge. The early complete rifles had one design on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magwell. Then the design changed for a while and close to the end there were no markings at all. There were also several hundred barreled actions built for Classic Arms of Indian Trail NC. Those were not marked either. All of them were built on very good to excellent Hungarian kits.
I am not ranting or raving just putting some things out there for those with questions.

Sorry for the book of a post.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off, Thank You for all the replies.

This one was put together by MSC evidently in Kent, Wa.

None of the FCG looks like it is stainless. May buy one from TAPCO to put back for 'just in case' though.

Asked the son about would he like good wood on it. He said no because he actually likes the poly furniture that is on it now.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
MSC? :eek: Man, I thought I would never hear those 3 letters mentioned again.

Machine Services Company or MSC Gunsmithing

Mike Prewitt was pre Kansas if ya know what I mean.

Just one of many smiths that fell by the wayside after their quality couldn't meet with the high demand. Understood his quality was pretty goodstarting out but once he started getting a backlog the the quality went downhill from there.

Word of advice Hawk...Please do a good check on the rifle and verify it's quality.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hawk,
You would not be able to tell if it was stainless just by looking at it. They were hardened and then black oxide coated. You more than likely have an FSE set, providing that MSC installed a US set. They were pretty much the only game in town back then.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is starting to be fun. :grin: The FCG that is in there is a double hook one and is NOT stainless. The overall quality is really good. While the barrel appears to be threaded the slant flash hider is evidently silver soldered. Anyone know if he blind pinned also?

Maybe I got lucky and got an EARLY build. :neutral:

And yes I am old enough to remember 'Kansas'! Heck I am old enough to remember watching the Stones and the Beatles when they were still doing 'club' dates in England back in the 60's! Nothing like being 6 foot away from Mick Jagger when he was still drinking HARD! Close enough to hear the music good, but far enough away from getting thrown up on! :grin:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
gradywhite said:
Oh how my memory fails me. Was Blue Ridge the one in TN?
Anyways I would say around $600. Im sure someone with a better memory wil chime in shortly.
You might want to have an extra FCG handy if you got one of the pot metal disconnectors as I did. Its just a matter of time before it cracks.
Also if you really wanna make your son happy get some type 3 wood to throw on that badboy. If you find some thts in so-so shape send it to Z_recto, he did mine. I know the only thing Soviet is the wood but it still looks good.
E.T.A. Let me get Broncodarts over here. He used to work for one of the companys mentioned and will be able to tell you all about them.

Nice SLR-100! Who was the builder?

Bud

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks BOS
Hell its pretty bad when you cant remember things about certain guns you have! Maybe Broncodarts can tell me AGAIN what I have. IIRC you told me before that it was a built by Blue Ridge for Classic Arms. I'm pretty sure its not a Gtech b/c I think they marked them accordingly.
There is nothing except: SLR-100H Arsenal Bulgaria Intrac Knoxville TN. I bought it yrs ago from Classic Arms. They had a ton of them along with barreled actions for sale. If I knew then what I know now I would've loaded the wagon!

G

·
0 Posts
Hawk45 said:
This is starting to be fun. :grin: The FCG that is in there is a double hook one and is NOT stainless. The overall quality is really good. While the barrel appears to be threaded the slant flash hider is evidently silver soldered. Anyone know if he blind pinned also?

Maybe I got lucky and got an EARLY build. :neutral:

And yes I am old enough to remember 'Kansas'! Heck I am old enough to remember watching the Stones and the Beatles when they were still doing 'club' dates in England back in the 60's! Nothing like being 6 foot away from Mick Jagger when he was still drinking HARD! Close enough to hear the music good, but far enough away from getting thrown up on! :grin:
If your rifle is from MSC and has a slant brake the brake was not originally on the rifle when built most likely. The ones that I owned or ones I have seen from Mike Prewitt all had muzzle nuts welded on. Yours most likely was removed and replaced with the slant bake. The 2 rifles I had from MSC were both put together well though the barrels had seen better days with plenty of wear. The rifles shot fine though. I sold both of the rifles. When I bought them new they were around $450.00 each I think.

I wish I would have kept one but at the time I occasionally saw Gordon Tech builds around and was planning on getting one of them or an Arsenal SLR-95 both of which I considered better rifles than the MSC builds.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
gradywhite said:
Thanks BOS
Hell its pretty bad when you cant remember things about certain guns you have! Maybe Broncodarts can tell me AGAIN what I have. IIRC you told me before that it was a built by Blue Ridge for Classic Arms. I'm pretty sure its not a Gtech b/c I think they marked them accordingly.
There is nothing except: SLR-100H Arsenal Bulgaria Intrac Knoxville TN. I bought it yrs ago from Classic Arms. They had a ton of them along with barreled actions for sale. If I knew then what I know now I would've loaded the wagon!

How much was it new? And the barreled actions?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
gradywhite said:
IIRC around 425 complete and I was going to say around 200 range as well.

Well, that ruined my night! :wink:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Hawk45 said:
OK I have one. I tend to like it and have been told it is 'pretty good' from some folks I trust.

It is marked Arsenal Bulgaria and with an Importer name from here in Tennessee.

Did I get lucky by getting it? And if possible a resonable value on what it is worth. And no it is not for sale as I am giving it to my son.

Thanks in advance.
Personally, I think they are beyond "pretty good." I think they are great. Where else can you get a Type III clone, complete with Bulgy receiver for around 6 bills. Reliable, robust and fairly accurate. I'm really glad I decided to keep mine. Fine choice you made, Hawk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does anyone have a source for SLR100/SLR100H receivers? I need two that are new and unbuilt. If someone with information on availability could please e-mail me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sammy

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
selfishselfless said:
Does anyone have a source for SLR100/SLR100H receivers? I need two that are new and unbuilt. If someone with information on availability could please e-mail me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Sammy

Keep an eye out on the EE's and the auction site.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts