AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What years were "Slabside" M70's in production, and approximately how many made it into the country? I understand from the threads that "Slabsides" are rare, but if they are so rare, why do I own three "Slabside" kits, all aquired over the past year? Am I just lucky, or is rarity a myth when it comes to "Slabside" M70 Underfolders?

· Registered
8,159 Posts
People misuse "rare" quite a bit to describe things sometimes. They're not rare - just early and more uncommon than the later kits. That's all. The Yugoslavians made too many tons of them to be "rare." :grin:

· Banned
16,196 Posts
Are your three kits fixed stock or underfolders? While I agree not rare they are not seen too often. Though recently it seems Century is building some as their 'T' rifles. From what I have seen the slabsides seem to have better barrel condition and good metal. Have seen spot welded trunnion to receiver on a couple. Good Tabuk short rifle candidates as well.

· Banned
16,196 Posts
So the Yugo's were serialized by model type in a continuous ascending numeric range starting at 01? Just wondering if serial numbers denote production numbers. Hmmm ., I have a 67XXX underfolder slabside and a 93XXX fixed stock slabside. Not sure what that says about production numbers however.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
AKBLUE said:
So the Yugo's were serialized by model type in a continuous ascending numeric range starting at 01? Just wondering if serial numbers denote production numbers. Hmmm ., I have a 67XXX underfolder slabside and a 93XXX fixed stock slabside. Not sure what that says about production numbers however.
I would LOVE to see pictures of the fixed stock slabside! I have never seen one of those; i thought they were a legend. Does the stock match the rest of the rifle?

Anyway, I am not sure if they started at 0 when they made a new variant or not. My slabside is 15k. I have an early (1982 marked) M70AB2 and the serial is 86k. I have seen 1992 AB2 rifles with a much higher serial in the 500K's. It makes sense to me.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
HobbyMachinist said:
Loyal11475 said:
I would like to see a picture of the Fixed Slabside as well, would be a nice addition to the reference library!
Well why don't you build one then, Mr I've got three kits :shakeit:
We like to keep kits authentic. Adding a fixed stock to an UF kit just doesn't cut it, IMHO. The rifle would be a bastard. Agree, Loyal?

· Banned
16,196 Posts
The kit I have is matching front end but rear is mismatched....,unfortunately. The buttstock is a 5 digit but does not match the friont end 5 digit number. The trunnion is the wide 1mm type.
I would not hesitate to build a folding slab into a fixed rear. A large percentage of the builds on this site are cloned Russians, Hungarians, engraved trunnions, Khyber clones, Tabuk clones and all sorts of builds, bubbas and one-off builds.. Part of the hobby and the fun. They are all copies and clones to one degree or another. But each to their own. :dance:

· Banned
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know of any pictures of a Yugo Slabside Fixed Stock Version in use in Yugoslavia or in a factory or something? Was this varient ever produced or is it just a myth or incarnation brought on by the Clinton AW Ban? "AKBLUE" Yes, I get you on the fun of building thing and I would "Bastardize" a non-matching kit, but matching kits I wil not touch. I guess everyone has their thing when it comes to building, mine is getting my build as close to factory original as I can get a "clone," so swaping out parts is not how I roll.....

· Registered
3,540 Posts
Loyal11475 said:
Does anyone know of any pictures of a Yugo Slabside Fixed Stock Version in use in Yugoslavia or in a factory or something? Was this varient ever produced or is it just a myth or incarnation brought on by the Clinton AW Ban? "AKBLUE" Yes, I get you on the fun of building thing and I would "Bastardize" a non-matching kit, but matching kits I wil not touch. I guess everyone has their thing when it comes to building, mine is getting my build as close to factory original as I can get a "clone," so swaping out parts is not how I roll.....
I have been looking for one of those pictures for a long time. None have ever surfaced. I have even asked some European friends and have not gotten a definite answer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.