AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that on most slab side mags there is a single digit number under the serial number? I have never seen one higher than 6 which leads me to believe that 6 mags were standard issue in the soviet military at the time these mags were used. It would stand to reason that a given serial number of a rifle (for example, AB1234) would have 6 magazines also serial numbered AB1234 but below that number would be a single digit, 1 - 6.
Has anyone come across in their stash of slab sides, 2 magazines with the same serial number (with a different single digit underneath) ?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Richard W. said:
I was thinking one 5-cell pouch and one in the rifle = 6 total.
At the time of issue, they didn't use 5 cell pouches. But if they did... man! That would be heavy! :razz:

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
[quote="Richard W.":1hu3496n]I was thinking one 5-cell pouch and one in the rifle = 6 total.
At the time of issue, they didn't use 5 cell pouches. But if they did... man! That would be heavy! :razz:[/quote:1hu3496n]

I disagree.

"Slabside" mags were manufactured circa 1949 through 1955, approximately. The early Soviet mag pouches were 5-cell canvas.

The 3-cells came later, perhaps because 5 loaded mags is an awkward load.

The only photo I can find right now is this one I've borrowed from Tantal's site, but these pouches are pictured in the 1952 Soviet AK-47 field manual.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
They did have the 3 cell pouches this early. Check out this Type III clone from Tantal with, a early 50's dated 3 cell magazine pouch.

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/pro14.html

However, I was wrong about them not having 5 cell magazine pouches in the 1950s. I hadn't seen that picture before and while I had never seen one mentioned, it is true I didn't really look.

So it looks like we're both right... 5 cell pouches and 3 cell pouches were used.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
This is a scan from my translated version of the 1952 Soviet field manual. (The Russian language version is in the back of Tokoi's book, BTW).

At that time, the basic load for a Soviet grunt was 6 mags: 5 stored in a 5-cell pouch and 1 in the rifle. (The red line emphasis is mine.)

·
Registered
497 Posts
mags

Are all the slabsides like the ones catsailer40 is selling from the 50's or have some been made since? I didn't realize they were made that long ago

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: mags

ftbstrd said:
Are all the slabsides like the ones catsailer40 is selling from the 50's or have some been made since? I didn't realize they were made that long ago
As far as I know, the slabsides that catsailer40 is selling are from the early '50's. I do not think that the Russians have made them since. If someone here knows different, please chime in.

·
Registered
497 Posts
mags

WOW! I got one gonna get a couple more and I cant believe how nice they are being that old that really surprises me. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Look at a US Army field manual... then look at what is actually issued.

I don't know what to say. Tantal has the magazine pouch in his collection, obviously, 3 cell magazine pouches were made- and used, since his has a name tag with a soldiers name on it. The manual isn't exactly a bible as it tells you what to expect but not what happens all the time.

As I said... I am guessing both were used.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Re: mags

ftbstrd said:
WOW! I got one gonna get a couple more and I cant believe how nice they are being that old that really surprises me. Thanks for the info
Yeah, I bought one and just had to have another. They are in beautiful condition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts