AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sold one for the going price of $600 about 4 years ago and it looks like they’re holding fairly steady value. GunBroker completed sales running from $550 to $750 (with 6 mags) but mostly $600-650. With the 3 flat backs that came with yours, and assuming the internals cleaned up to excellent condition, I’d feel good at $650, but not hurt at $700.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Looks to be in good, original condition :D

Had mine since ‘93, originally figuring it to complement the few AK’s I had.. but meh.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going off the serial# it was produced in 1994. I’ve got a little over 6 in it so....I feel ok about it.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Looks to be in good, original condition :D

Had mine since ‘93, originally figuring it to complement the few AK’s I had.. but meh.
Yep, meh. I owned a couple over the years and unless you are a collector of SKS rifles, I just don't see the value or utility of owning a detachable SKS rifle when any AK can do the job better. JMHO

Reactions: gonogo

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Going off the serial# it was produced in 1994. I’ve got a little over 6 in it so....I feel ok about it.
That is all that counts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in my mid-40s now but when I was a younger man and broke and just starting a family 20 something years ago, an SKS was a nice rifle to me and I always heard about the ones that took the AK mags. Back then ARs were really expensive and as far as AK were concerned they were more expensive than SKSs LOL. So I guess I cut my teeth with a beat up Norinco SKS. I literally shot the wheels off one, or tried. Had a mini 14 which I loved, and still own. All my buddies are like why do you have that? Well I guess this was just one of those rifles of my generation I couldn’t pass up no it’s not practical and there are a ton of things that do it’s job better than it does but I’ll still stick it in the safe.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I like the look of them. I think if I get me another SKS, the kind that take AK mags would be the first I’d take a look at, unless I’d just come by a real good deal of some other kind first. At the moment though, I’m still in the habit of looking for good deals on AK kits and potentially an M76 kit to save up enough to get another already complete rifle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have one, a ‘93. Finicky with non-Chinese mags and seems to need a very precise insertion of the mag. It’s a very tight chamber unlike many AKs. Shoots extremely well, 100% reliable and very accurate at 50-100 yards. Love the short carbine aspect of it and is a more comfortable shooter than a full stock AK.
Always draws attention to itself at the Range. People always curious about it. The M. is way fun to fire but hard for old eyes to focus on sights.
The only complaint with mine ( it’s in like new condition) is that the rifle mag has to be slowly fixed in place and there must be a little spring in the follower, in other words load at least one less round than the capacity rating. But that’s my rifle , your mileage may vary. Also unlike standard SKS rifles the bolt does not hold open. It’s like an AK. Lazy as I am, I sometimes hold the bolt open with a little wood piece and load the mag from the top one round at a time. There’s no stripper clip guide of course.

Bottom line is I’d never sell it.

PS: Many of the so-called Paratrooper SKS versions are just modified cut-down rifles with a long gas tube and standard integral box mag and bolt scenario. These are not M’s. The M is it’s own unique design.

That said I can see the utility of a “Paratrooper”.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts