AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has an SKS (Norinco) that has failed to fire multiple times. The number of ftf varies - today 4 out of 20 failed - sometimes it is worse. He has tried different makes of ammo and lots within the makes - no correlation with a particular make/lot etc - ammo does not appear to be the cause of the ftf.

The rounds that ftf have a hit on the primer, and the hit seems to be sufficient for a firing. When the ftf rounds are fired a second time they fire normal.

He installed a new firing pin with a return spring, - made no difference - still had ftf.

The original firing pin (without spring) is re-installed and a new hammer spring ordered.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the cause/s?

Thanks,

Lincoln

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Has he cleaned the firing pin channel in the bolt yet ?? A bit of cruddy cosmo could be in there slowing things down. Have him pull it apart and take some carb/brake cleaner and spray it from the firing pin hole in the bolt face to the rear and then turn it around and spray back to front. That should clean out any residual crap lurking inside the bolt. At one time I made a tool for this out of a piece of brass rod that I got from the hardware store. Hammered the end of it til it looked like a flat head screwdriver and stuck it in the channel and gave it a few twists while flooding it with cleaner. I had the opposite problem in that mine was doubling, once cleaned out it behaved normally.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davehal9000: The ammo has been all military I believe. I do not think he has tried commercial (Winchester white box, etc). He mentioned wanting to try that type of ammo to see what happens.

56type: I have e-mailed your input to him so he can give that a try.

Thanks for the resposes:

Lincoln

1 - 5 of 5 Posts