AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible for an SKS to be chambered for the 8mm kurtz round?

What would it involve (besides the barrel being widened)?

This may be just a crazy idea, but if I had an SKS, I would seriously consider doing it (if possible). Lets hear what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
8mm Kurz SKS?

A little research in "Cartridges of the World" should give you the comparative dimensions for the two.
The ammo for 8mm Kurz is pretty much unobtanium, although I do have a dim recollection of somebody producing some recently. Check Graf and Son, I don't usually look at OWS.
Betcha reamers would really be a challenge.
The only reason for this IMHO would be to be " the first (only) kid on your block" to have one.
Phrase in quotes is from TV toy commercials when Fred and Barney and I were in elementary school.

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ammo is not an issue for me. I see a case of it every time I go to the gun show (made by prvi partizan). Plus, its CHEAPER than 7.62x39!!!
As for the differences in size, I know what they are (basically); 8mm kurtz is shorter but wider (7.93x33?) than the 7.62x39.
Thats why I was wondering if this is even possible to do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Anything is possible.

But anywhere near practical?

Maybe -in a alternate universe.

LG :neutral: (I'd spend my money on something else)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Kurz means short

Kurtz was Brando's character in Apocalypse Now (and the same character in Heart of Darkness)

Say 'Kurtz' to anyone that speaks any one of a handful of European languages, and they will not know what you are talking about. Not to be a dick, but thought you would like to know. I used to make the same switch in words.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Bread is People said:
The ammo is not an issue for me. I see a case of it every time I go to the gun show (made by prvi partizan). Plus, its CHEAPER than 7.62x39!!!
As for the differences in size, I know what they are (basically); 8mm kurtz is shorter but wider (7.93x33?) than the 7.62x39.
Thats why I was wondering if this is even possible to do.
:roll:

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Templar said:
Where are you finding 8mm Kurz (7.92x33mm) for less than 7.62x39mm???????
There is one dealer at the local gun shows that has it for $10 per 20 rd box. He said that he has only sold a few boxes of it over the course of a few years and he just wants to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Save your bucks and get a Yugo M76.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts