AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FWIW, I've recently finished a SKS scope mount project, modifying a Weaver shotgun "Converta Mount" that might be of interest here, so I am reposting it.

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/products/s ... istol.aspx

Here's some pics & text regarding the project:

The mount is a #83 detachable attaching to a "B2" base (870 rem.) -but I suspect any of the shotgun base plates would do, as I cut a (dovetail) "rail' section off the base plate...drilling and tapping it on the SKS receiver. BTW, the rail section used is easily hacksawed off the shotgun base plate.
I made a angle iron (aluminum) "jig" to allign the rail -FWIW, the holes (at their center) in the rail for attaching the mount measure 9/16" above the bottom of the receiver.

I used 3 hard machine screws to attach the rail, feeling that was adequate -more mounting holes could have been done. I was avoiding the receiver latch hole & a receiver cross member by my placement -I placed the "rail" full to the rear, some might mount it more forward (I was keeping it clear for stripper clip use).

Also, the height of the rail is shiftable -I placed mine to just allow me to barely see the irons from the combat range thru 300m. I did this to use the irons to set/confirm red dot settings & serve as a rough start in zeroing scopes. It also allows the gun to field strip with the mount attached -the mount could actually be set on the receiver cover if desired, and, would allow for fairly easy cleaning because of the detachable feature (jus' a thought for those that like low mounts). Note: the mount *is* "OVERBORE" (centers over the action) -this did NOT require fitting...just happened to be right.

The Weaver mount top is not a picatinny notched type. It had 4 "cuts" for ring/device mounting -looking at devices, I determined mount would best have a 5th "cut" in the center...so, I added one.
BTW, Weaver makes some inexpensive picatinny rail bases now -I may cut a section out of one and attach it to the side of the mount sometime. Also, note the thickness of this mount -it *is* SOLID!

You can see the clearance in the above pic between the mount's bottom and receiver cover -this is a min. required to field strip with the mount attached. Any lower, and you would not be able to lift the carrier/bolt up & out of the receiver.

Mount on the stocked gun...

Note that the amount of wood needed to be removed was acceptable, it was much the same as other mounts requiring some stock relief.
BTW, the mount does NOT contact the flat of the base, by design...contact is only with the dovetail. This should help return to zero ability.

And, a pic of the completed gun with a device added (42mm red/green dot used just for demo...probably will scope, or, add a SECOND mount with a scope fixed)...

All in all, this possibility which I just stumbled on, appears to have worked out well. There was not much work involved in the "modication", as it really just was cutting the rail section out of the shotgun base plate & driling some mounting holes. I think it offers something for SKS users -a drill & tap mount that is DETACHABLE and easy found & reasonably priced.

It is interesting that Weaver has a nice SKS mount and does not know it. They would do well to produce the SKS "rail" as a factory offering -I've contacted them, prompting them to do so.

LG :neutral:

P.S -ADDED: A minor observance -the "thumbscrews" on the #83 mount have a amount of "flash" left from the cut-off in mfg'g...that made them a little difficult to "start" when attaching. The usual procedure to "dress" the screws took care of it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I had that same type of mount for my Mossberg 500 and if I hadn't sold that shotgun last night I'd still be using it gladly.

It's main benefit for me over the Choate mount is that it's detachable and more or less keeps zero (I had to tune it a little each time). It's also adds very little width which is nice in the gun safe. My Molot railed SKS/LPS combo was a wide bugger, due to the rail being outside the stock and had to have extra clearance to avoid scuffing the other guns.

Nice choice of rail and nice install!

EDIT: Just noticed the username of the OP. Didn't know you were over here too! Guess the nice install comment is sort of superfluous!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Looks very good!

Let us know if the ejecting cases clear the rail.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wgallc said:
Looks very good!

Let us know if the ejecting cases clear the rail.
Oh, they'll clear.

I've done other SKS mounts, and have long ago figured out where too forward is too forward.

The mount and the device are to the rear of the stripper clip guide location (with bolt locked to the rear) -the cases eject well forward of that location.

I "dry cycled" some cartridges to doubly confirm this BEFORE the base was permanently located on the action.

If a long scope was used, then it would become a issue -a deflector would be needed. I personally don't like them or the concept -preferring compact scopes that avoid the need.

A decent compact scope in the 1.5-4X range serves the SKS well -better than hanging the usual cheapie 3-9X "sporting" scope on it.

P.S -I did consider that I could make, if I wanted, a deflector & mount it on the mount itself via drill & tap. I'd rather have done that, if needed, than use the commercial aftermarket doo-dads I've seen.
I might flesh that out sometime for grins.

*I'm running to town (live rurally) -I'll pop a few rounds on the way & report any problems/impressions later. I love it -a mission from God!...Did so. As expected, no problems with the cases clearing when fired. I did change the red dot from the bulky 42mm unit to a 30mm one -it feels better, as it isn't as high.

·
Banned
778 Posts
would it not have worked just as well to drill and tap holes in the receiver for the scope rail and bypass the mounting plate altogether?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Nice mount idea, way to be resourceful. :allright:

Be careful if your cycling live rounds, IIRC the firing pin on the SKS was designed for a harder primer and leaves and indentation when ejecting rounds.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BlenderWizard said:
would it not have worked just as well to drill and tap holes in the receiver for the scope rail and bypass the mounting plate altogether?
No. The thickness of the base was needed to CENTER the mount over the bore.

Secondly, I wanted it DETACHABLE -and retain some degree of "zero". That not only leaves me the option of NOT having a device attached at times...with a SECOND mount & a different device on it, use can readily be interchanged.

If it was desired for some reason, the mount and base could have been drilled and tapped thru BOTH into the receiver -there is just no point in it (might as well just use the Choate fixed mount).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rdm said:
Be careful if your cycling live rounds, IIRC the firing pin on the SKS was designed for a harder primer and leaves and indentation when ejecting rounds.
Know that well. I use milspec ammo exclusively...have for years.

I live in the country, so I can hand cycle robustly to my hearts content -only way short of live fire to check things very well.

Kids! Don't try this at home!!! :grin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts