AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New York specific yes, but since NY's AWB is pretty much the national ban with no sunset for NY'ers I thought a few of you could shed some light on my next project.

I've always loved the look of underfolder AK's but they are way too 'evil' to ship into NY. I just bought a Polish AKMS kit hoping to build my own legal rifle. If I were to grind off the bayonet lug, pin/weld on the slant muzzle brake, pin/weld the folding stock in an open position, and comply with the correct number of US parts would I have a legal rifle? With these things taken care of the only evil features on the rifle would be the ability to accept a detachable magazine and a pistol grip. 2 features are acceptable under the law.

Taken from http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=NY

• 1. Assault weapon means:

* A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable
    magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
    [list:2tefgb07]* a folding or telescoping stock;
    * a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
    of the weapon;
    * a bayonet mount;
    * a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to
    accommodate a flash suppressor;
    * a grenade launcher
[/list:u:2tefgb07]
I do plan on contacting the local ATF division but I wanted to get a public opinion before I called them up and said I was building a firearm in my basement :lol:

·
Banned
4,277 Posts
doing that to a AK, you would be complying with NY state law. it's the same federal law that everybody had to do during the 94 AW ban

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm having the same exact thing done to a Polish underfolder build to make it New Jersey compliant. Mine is being built on a Global Trades 1mm receiver.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dieter122 said:
I wouldnt be able to weld the folders in place, itd be destroying them as rifles in my opinion. The muzzle breaks being fixed on and bayo lugs being lopped off is one thing, but having a non functioning folding stock just sucks.

This is why I bought fixed stock Romy and Yugo AK kits (though I HAD a sidefolder tantal and bulgy74 kit, now traded to a board member here). I will wait to move to buy new rifles that are evil, cant sit on kits right now...
The builder who is putting togerther my Polish underfolder (investmentgradefirearms.com) has told me that the folding stock is to be pinned open but it is certainly something that can easily be reversed by a gunsmith if I ever move out of NJ.

I believe that Arsenal did the same with the underfolder Classics sold before the Federal AWB expired. They let their customers know that the stock could be returned to its original folding function in short order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts