AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Ive been thinking about skeletonizing an ak for the purpose of weight. I was wondering if any one has before? I'm not sure about how much or where I can take material out. As far as keeping the receiver clean, I think I'm going to glass bed it in a magal chassis. If any one has any info that may help me save a recover I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Technical Advisor
15,448 Posts
I'm not certain what an AKM receiver weighs.
But a guess would be 7 ounces?

Seems hard to believe that much weight could be save by removing material from the receiver and then adding back stabilizing material.

Magazine type and capacity, caliber, barrel length., use of aluminum barrel parts, trigger guard, sight leaf, lightweight furniture etc., would be a more expedient and fruitful method to shed weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. I've been thinking about what furniture to use for that. From what I've seen the milled weigh about two pounds. I was thinking I may be able to cut it down in weight and have less flex, while not having to much more than a stamped. . I should've mentioned that right off the bat. Do you think I may be better to just go with stamped then?

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
If weight is a concern then why not just buy a lighter rifle? Still arsenal 104ur rifles out there. Better than Swiss cheesing a AK to the point that it’s junk.

Even if you wanted to destroy a AK by what your suggesting, I think you would loose more weight by taking a shit!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If weight is a concern then why not just buy a lighter rifle? Still arsenal 104ur rifles out there. Better than Swiss cheesing a AK to the point that it’s junk.

Even if you wanted to destroy a AK by what your suggesting, I think you would loose more weight by taking a shit!

Maybe that's what my wife means when she says I need to lose weight..........LMAO!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm sure you could lighten a milled receiver by strategically drilling holes, milling cutouts, etc., but how much would you gain? Stamped? I wouldn't. As stated, it's light to begin with, and it's structural integrity relies on the way it is folded/bent. If you start removing material, some issues might develop.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
It’s pretty common knowledge a unmodified stamped receiver has a lot of flex when operating
Any windows cut in one is obviously not going to be good besides not reducing much weight

The AR differs because the larger part , the lower is not under stress like the upper
You can lighten the hell out of it because of that .... the carrier is up top shaming back and forth.
ARs also enjoy a lot of support from people making lightweight parts .... you can get lots and lots of titanium stuff which leads to all the claims of super light rifles.
I held one in a local shop that was a hair over 4lbs w no mag.
Its not so much the receivers but more all the other light parts making it happen

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
If I read what you're saying correctly, its your intent to start out with a milled receiver. This is pretty key since the idea is a non-starter with a stamped receiver.

I'm not big on the concept of opening windows into the receiver - ARs being a prime example - since it simply provides access for foreign materials to get into the moving parts, while saving a nominal amount of weight. You end up with a bench/range gun that's in no shape to be fielded, when the primary objective of lightening a weapon is to make it easier to carry longer distances.

Reactions: 22many

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Consider a Micro Draco and a 10 round magazine. A 5 round magazine would be even lighter.

Starting with a very flexible receiver, taking the side optic rail mount off and adding a few cuts into the receiver will yield a paper gun.

AR people can be extremely stupid at times. Skeletonized receivers, pistol grips, mags, ultralight stocks, pencil barrels, ultralight gas blocks, titanium muzzle brake, etc. Then they complain about the recoil and are still not satisfied with the weight of the ammo they have to carry.

Make sure no fly lands on your AR because it can damage it and change the point of impact.
Also if you have the flu make sure you place the AR in a safe place before you sneeze so you don't damage it.

It goes really well with a Diet Venti spicy Latte-Mocha with a pinch of cinnamon sprinkled on top and a hint of Turmeric.

Oh, I also hope you also like gas in your face.
(Garand Thumb channel inside joke)

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I think that a lot of the lightening process with the AR has little to do with weight and more on sales. I mean, how many things can be done to the AR to change it to appeal to buyers? Not much as it’s already been done. Lightening and slick paint jobs are all that’s really left.

You can be dam sure that the military isn’t looking at “lightened” rifles or skull magwells for a battle weapon. The point being it won’t hold up to abuse. I’m sure the AK is no different and if it was the designers would have cut more out of the milled receiver than they did.

·
Technical Advisor
15,448 Posts
I believe that weapons will continue to become lighter in weight. Based on materials that are durable and affordable. Just as anodized aluminum processing led to the M16/AR15 and other aluminum receiver firearms M92 pistol and others.

The advent of titanium in wider use., carbon fiber, Graphene etc.
Also plastic materials continue to be used in firearm parts and integral parts. Polymer plastic magazines and pistol lowers as in the Glock etc .

Caseless ammunition., a long sought after method to lighten ammunition weight will likely come to pass as a common use at some point.

if the need or wish is a light weapon., the AR15 is a firearm that has a number of options in barrels, accessories, ease of assembly etc. It can be lightened a good bit from an average "off the shelf weight" .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts