AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking, I have ARs, AKs, and good ol' pump shotguns that I already know would be my go to options if SHTF, but I was wondering if the single shot shotguns I have would be good as well. My big thing is being able to have fast follow up shots and although it'll be a good survival gun since it can break down and fit in a backpack or it can be good to hunt with, but, to use some modern situations instead of something like zombies or Macaulay Culkin trying to do harm to us and Ron Jeremy, if you are defending your property from hoards of rioters with their own weapons like molotovs, how effective would the single shot 12 gauge be if you can only shoot one shell at a time when there is a World War Z like hoard stampeding your way? What are y'alls thoughts?

·
Registered
447 Posts
A break-action single shot shotgun is not going to be terribly useful in a fight if you have the choice of other weapons. It's certainly better than nothing and they are about as simple as a firearm could possibly get, but I would not want one in a fight unless I had nothing else.

Its certainly not going to be useful against a riot. You'll get 1, maybe 2, shots off before they reach you and beat you to death. In that case, your only hope would be to have some type of long gun with 30+ round mags. And even then you'd better have a couple friends, learn to reload fast, and hope the mob psychology gets broken by the first volley or intimidated in the first place so you never have to shoot.

If you're dealing with a mass of people coming towards you and its on, best case scenario is you down 1 person per bullet you fire. Realistically though, you're going to miss with some of your shots/fail to critically injure the target and this'll happen more than the chance of your bullet over-penetrating and stopping a second person as well. So realistically you could maybe take on 20 people with a single full mag of 5.56/7.62 assuming that they've decided to actually rush you.

A 12 gauge blast of buckshot might get 2-3 people if they are tightly packed, but if they are that tightly packed you're dealing with a scary amount of opponents. Its a good weapon if you are in a group of friends and a couple have shotguns and the rest have ARs/AKs, but if you are alone the AR is your best option.

A few molotovs of your own might be a good idea too if you're actually dealing with a riot trying to break into your home. The only real way you survive an angry mob trying to kill you is if you can scare them away, and fire is scary.

·
Registered
delete me
1,036 Posts
So, in your mind there's hordes of zombies, or a group of rioters throwing molotov cocktails at you, and you want to know if a single shot shotgun would be effective at taking care of the situation?

Dude c'mon...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Might want to look at the water pipe 12 guage ones made and used by the Phillipean Guerrillas during WW2. Two pieces of water pipe, a cap and a nail. Hardest part is getting the steel water pipe today.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You don't need a "Good" gun, what you need is a gun that will allow you to take someone else's "Better" gun from them.
A common thing the French resistance did was to lure a guy away from his comrades kill and disarm. It got them armed and there's a million ways to make it work.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
The single shot shotgun is only good for one thing...hunting varmit and birds. Other than that, they are just a stick.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Short answer is no. No friggin way a single shot shotgun would be good for you in SD scenario for SHTF

That being said, I'm an engineer of battle and could use damn near anything to my advantage. Your run of the mill single shot shotgun could be put to very good use as an IED. You would place the shotgun strategically as bait and rig it to blow up the enemy combatant that chooses to pick it up and check it out. If you're lucky, there will be a few other enemy combatants in the immediate area with #1 dipshit. You kids these days might call that a booby trap.
Break open such as an old Stevens or something. As far as turning that single shot shotty into a portable claymore- use your gray matter and ingenuity. The mind is a terrible thing when applied correctly.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I could see it being used as a "throw away gun." Something your stash at the cabin or bury underground and won't get too concerned if it goes missing.
Yep, or one lying there in the dirt for special effects right?
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Don't deny it you snowflakes. Best way to kill a man is by surprise. What's more special than picking up an enemy weapon and having it go off in yer face?
I figure some of you have no backbone for this kinda shit. Too bad cause they are coming for you like it or not. Used to be I believed in praying for you snowflakes. Now I realize you get what's coming and nobody can stand in the way.
Suck it up buttercup. Too late now. No sympathy here.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Sure, a single shot shotgun can be an effective sftf weapon against a crowd, just you're going to have to step up from 12 gauge to 2 gauge, and get a little distance between you and them.
2guage.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Sure, but you're less shotgun and more cannon at that point.
Exactly! Never bring a single shot shotgun to a 12lb Napoleon loaded with grapeshot and chain fight.

Seriously, single shot shotguns were/are a poor mans hunting gun and a starter gun for kids, they're meant for squirrels and rabbits and the like, not defending yourself. If you try using one against a mob you're going to get killed, you might take a couple with you but mobs that have reached the stage of violence that attacking someone who has a weapon seems like a good idea are only going to back down when either all or most of them are dead or dying.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sure, some single shots are cheap. but others are just ridiculously expensive, especially any of the 22lr combos. I suspect they're preying off inept self-styled preppers who think other guns would be icky and are easily suckered into buying something expensive because "its quality".

1 - 20 of 43 Posts