AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some ammo looks Hungarian by the blue green boxes they come in. The box has a silver stripe across it and the bullet has a silver tip. My understanding was that this is steel core but I wanted to check and see for sure. The dealer couldnt tell me and I couldnt remember. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
neinLG said:
Just bought some ammo looks Hungarian by the blue green boxes they come in. The box has a silver stripe across it and the bullet has a silver tip. My understanding was that this is steel core but I wanted to check and see for sure. The dealer couldnt tell me and I couldnt remember. Let me know what you think.

That is Czech, the blue green box with a silver stripe is a dead giveaway. Is the ammo copper-washed (80s and later production) or green lacquer cased (earlier production)?

The bullet type (Type 59) is not steel core, but it is neat. It is a 148gr. projectile, FMJ-BT... the neat part is that it has a compressed lead core, surrounded by a steel jacket, surrounded again by a layer of lead and then a soft steel jacket and then it is coated in copper. Pretty detailed. Cut one in half, the construction is pretty darn neat...

My experience has been that it is accurate and 100% reliable. It is very good ammo, if the price is good, stock up on it!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Never mind .

·
Registered
900 Posts
Sounds like he nailed it. :hail:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
neinLG said:

That is Czech, the blue green box with a silver stripe is a dead giveaway. Is the ammo copper-washed (80s and later production) or green lacquer cased (earlier production)?

The bullet type (Type 59) is not steel core, but it is neat. It is a 148gr. projectile, FMJ-BT... the neat part is that it has a compressed lead core, surrounded by a steel jacket, surrounded again by a layer of lead and then a soft steel jacket and then it is coated in copper. Pretty detailed. Cut one in half, the construction is pretty darn neat...

My experience has been that it is accurate and 100% reliable. It is very good ammo, if the price is good, stock up on it!
+1 IMHO the best surplus 7.62x54 available...stock up!!

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah its the lacquered stuff. I had never seen it so I bought a hundred rounds just to try it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Very good ammo. It's accuracy in my rifles is only surpassed by the Hungarian and the Rus 7n1. Get as much as you can!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
LeibstandarteAdH said:
The bullet type (Type 59) is not steel core, but it is neat
Yes it is steel core light ball.

If I tell you you are incorrect, you will reply that you aren't. Then it will go back and forth for a few posts and this guys topic will get locked for no reason. So I will say this...

Cut a bullet open, all the way through. Everyone here can do the same thing, it only takes a dremel or good saw and a few minutes of your time. You will discover something that varies with what is stated in your post.

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps we need to add another permanent topic to this portion of the forum. That being Eastern Block country by country with coding and classification information. Thanks for the info guys. When I get some shop time Ill cut one open and let you all know what I find.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Re: This stuff?

jjjxlr8 said:
http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo011.htm
And they call it steel core, yet they didn't cut the bullet open to look...

neinLG, can you post pictures when you cut yours open?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I took one apart and it appeared to be a steel core bullet - you could see the steel in the bottom where you would normally see lead.

I didn't cut one in half, but I recovered a couple of the mild steel cores from my targets. The Czech Silver from 1965 and the later copper washed Czech from the 80's is certainly steel (mild) core. I'll see if I can snap some pictures of the bullets and the core tonight.

Sounds like they may have had different types of bullets...

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Czech steel core ammo

Here are some pictures...

Czech Silver Tip mild steel core from 1965 with recovered core:

Czech mild steel core from 1988 with recovered bullet (most of it):

These are recovered 7.62 steel cores. Top is a tungsten carbide armor piercing core, bottom 3 are mild steel cores from surplus Czech ammo:

From left to right - 80's Bulgarian lead core, 88 Czech mild steel core, 7N1 air, lead, and steel core. It's hard to see in the photo, but you can actually see tiny spots of rust on the bottom of steel cores in the Czech bullets:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
LeibstandarteAdH said:

If I tell you you are incorrect, you will reply that you aren't. Then it will go back and forth for a few posts and this guys topic will get locked for no reason. So I will say this...

Cut a bullet open, all the way through. Everyone here can do the same thing, it only takes a dremel or good saw and a few minutes of your time. You will discover something that varies with what is stated in your post.
I have no idea if it is steel core, but I do know that it's not a good idea to cut up a bullet with a dremel. Lead dust makes you stupid, and contaminates your work area.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
SwannyJ said:
Q-gunner2 said:
LeibstandarteAdH said:

I have no idea if it is steel core, but I do know that it's not a good idea to cut up a bullet with a dremel. Lead dust makes you stupid, and contaminates your work area.
So will most other metals. Inhaling Aluminum has been linked to increased risk of Alzheimer's, for example. I assumed that cutting ANY metal with a dremel, the operator would be wearing a mask.

Has anyone cut a core open? As in, cut into the steel? I am curious as to what the hell type of ammo I had. Mine that I cut open was 63 bxn headstamp.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
It is very likely a mild steel core like the ones in my pictures above.

Do you have pictures of the multi-layered bullet that you cut open, Q-gunner2? Sounds very interesting!

·
Premium Member
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info and the pics. Im trying to move so I havnt gotten around to cutting one open but it looks like I may not need to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts