AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is a 2 parter here. One I'm curious about how much to expect to spend getting into the NFA game. I know how much the suppressor itself would cost but how much does the whole process AT cost with the ATF and about how long it takes? Also Im a welder in a fabrication shop and am good friends with a machinist here. If I wanted to make my own is that legal as long as I keep the ATF in the loop and pay the dues on that? Thanks to anyone who answers.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
there is a series of articles on TFB. it covers most of your questions pretty well.

cost-wise stamp is $200 and wait time between 6 and 12 month depending on the type and number of applications submitted. as of now, in pre-election time - load is the to the max.

with new fingerprint card rule you might expect even longer processing times, since for now, eForms are not yer able to deal with this change. paper application was always longer than eForm.

there are also a bunch of good videos on youtube explaining steps and such, as it pertains to transferring or manufacturing a silencer.

i can imagine most will be somewhat obsolete, withing a scope of 'fingerprint card' rule change

google is your friend as well. this topic is too large in volume and details to give you concise break down. one must do a thorough research prior to getting into NFA-controled things. mistakes can potentially land you in club-fed.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
If you make it or buy it uncle gets his $200 first then you got to wait for several months and then if you dotted all your i's and crossed your t's correctly one day your paperwork magically appears in your mailbox and you can legally take possession of your very own suppressor. It's like Christmas!

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's also good to note that there are two different forms you could sign depending on the path you take. If you decide to buy a suppressor from a company you will need to file a ATF Form 4, which is for NFA items not made be the owner. If you do decide to make a suppressor you need to fill out a ATF Form 1, this basically means that it's made by the owner and that you "become the manufacturer". I would also suggest setting up a NFA trust (I used the SilencerShop Easytrust). The advantage a trust gives you over buying as a individual is it can have trustees and beneficiaries, this will allow you two things: A. If/ when you pass-on there will be a entity that protects NFA assets for both your trustees and future beneficiaries; B. Is that any trustee listed on the NFA trust can "possess" the NFA item/s without the immediate presence of the trust founder (for example a spouse or child over 18 who is listed on the trust as a trustee could take the suppressor to the range or maybe even hunting without you be present).

I went the Form 1 route and I'm still waiting for my form back, I filed it in July prior to 41F and expect it around February or March.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts