AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a recently acquired AK74 and I'm going to the range to adjust the iron sights. I have fired it one other time and found it to be off quite a bit. My plan is to set up a target at 30 yards to get it in the ballpark then 50. The adjustable sight has marks starting at "1" Can I expect the gun to be sighted in for 100 yards if I get it adjusted at 50? basically I'm asking if there is significant bullet drop between 50 and 100 yards.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adjusted the sights. I started at 50 yds and got the grouping within a few inches then moved to 100 yds. At 100 I had to raise the sight as it was shooting a few inches too high. Strange the bullets would hit higher on the target at 100 vs 50, bullets go up?? comments?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Bullet trajectories fly like a football -- they arc. When we zero at closer ranges we're trying to mimic the effects of the bullet at a longer distance; hence why most .mil organizations will do the 36 yd BZO to mimic the 300 battle sight setting (plus its easier because its hard to find a 300 yd range.) I might be wrong but AFAIK the idea was if you did a 50 yd zero it was closer to 200 than anything, hence why you'd be high on a 100 yd target.. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mrkermit said:
Bullet trajectories fly like a football -- they arc. When we zero at closer ranges we're trying to mimic the effects of the bullet at a longer distance; hence why most .mil organizations will do the 36 yd BZO to mimic the 300 battle sight setting (plus its easier because its hard to find a 300 yd range.) I might be wrong but AFAIK the idea was if you did a 50 yd zero it was closer to 200 than anything, hence why you'd be high on a 100 yd target.. Hope this helps!
So if I understand correctly at 50 yds the bullet was in an arc still going up which made it high at 100 and back on target at 200 yds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts