AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat curious about a used Sig Sauer P220 chambered in .45 ACP. Does anyone have experience with these guns? I have fired a P226 before, and while I am not used to DA/SA (I mostly fire GLOCK, 1911, Tokarev, and Hi-Power variants), I did better than expected in double action with that P226; I could become accustomed to it. This used gun has an appealing price tag of $459.00, and from what I can tell, it seems to be in decent condition.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ive had a few of them. Great guns. Is it made in germany?
I almost picked up a clean german 220 for $600 today and i thought that was a deal.
Theres a bunch of police trade 220's out there. There was also a recent release of nos 220's for $679, iirc

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
I had a p220 carry that I bought new. Great gun, super accurate, bright night sites, and never a issue. Carried it for a couple years but got board with it and went back to a 1911.

·
Registered
650 Posts
No issues with the P220. I use the SRT and short trigger in mine. Never had any issues with the original or threaded barrel either. I use strictly the stainless steel mags also.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Had a German one and was very nice. One difference between it and my W German P228 though. The decocker on the 228 dropped the hammer much more softly than the one on the 220. Not a problem. Just a difference. They are the only 2 Sigs I've owned and were older. I've heard some mention that newer ones aren't of the same quality as the older W German and German ones. If it's a W German model I'd jump on it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've been shooting them for a very long time. They're a good .45.

They were first imported by some small companies, as well as Browning as the "BDA" (a moniker which they used later for a Beretta made .380 to add confusion). Those had a heel mag release. I had one, and it was a good shooting gun, but I kept trying to hit the non-existant mag release button.

Sig started importing the P220 under their own name. Sig also added a button release. The button release made things much better IMO, and you could still use the mags in the heel release guns (the 7-shot blue). These early P220's had slightly different lockwork than they do now. The hammer block worked differently and if you didn't use the hammer drop lever, and lowered the hammer manually like a 1911, the hammer would rest past the hammer block. This could create a situation where the gun could fire if dropped on the hammer. They changed the lockwork, and now all hammers rest safely regardless of how you lower them. Older guns are completely safe, just use the drop lever. At the time, people were used to lowering a hammer by pulling the trigger and riding the hammer. It was just how it was done back in the day. The lever got ignored by many, which is why the situation existed. You can tell if a P220 has the new style lockwork visually by the shape of the hammer. The old ones have a sharper point, fishhook. The newer ones have a rounded hammer end, just like a P226. Also the hammer on the new ones will spring back off the slide when at rest. The old one just rested forward. Trigger pull didn't seem any different to me between the two. The lockwork change came after the mag release button, so all the heel releases have the older system, and the button release ones have both. It was a while ago, and you don't see them much anymore, but they're still out there. All P226's/228's/229's etc have the newer lockwork. Anyway, always use the lever and you're good-to-go with either version.

The older guns were built using a stamped and folded slide that was welded and a breech block that was pinned in place. It was a good system, but the pin holding the breech block would break after a few thousand rounds, and start working itself out of the slide. The key to most things German (Cars, guns, women, etc) is they need to be maintained properly or they'll aggravate you. Sigs are no exception. You have to do things like spring changes, etc on schedule. In those days the pin was just one of those parts that had to be replaced every so often. I cant' recall the round count. The older slide Sigs will rust like a mofo as well and generally had some pretty thin finish that lasted a few seconds in a holster. Their "K-kote" finish wasn't much better and would peel and look like crap with use and frankly wasn't a good finish. So older used Sigs tend to look like they have many more rounds through them than they actually do.

Sig then set up a factory in the US in NH. At first they only built P229 slides, but eventually whole guns and started in on other models. You can tell visually by the pin. The stamped and welded slide uses what looks like a roll pin in another roll pin to hold the breech block. You can see the pin on the side of the slide, aft of the ejection port. The one-piece stainless slide has a solid pin in roughly the same place.

Some of the early one-piece slides had quality control issues. Some people had trouble with them. I never did. In fact, i don't recall hearing any bitching about the P220 anyway. I think the timing of the changes in production were applied to the P220 later than the other models, and it benefited from having any bugs worked out by the time it got to be it's turn to morph.

As for mags, I don't have experience with ACT or Promag. I've heard good things about ACT. I have only used factory, or Mecgars. Mecgar used to sell their own branded mags, but dropped them when they started making mags for Sig as part of the deal. The old blue zipper back mags were 7 rounds. I have had them crack welds and I think the newer one with the one-piece stainless body is the way to go. They aren't cheap, but you get 8 rounds flush, a bumper to make it easy to insert, and they don't crack along the zipper or rust.

Reliability has been 100% with all the P220s I've owned. I've had several and they've all worked perfectly, period. Accuracy has been great as well. They're not just mechanically accurate, but Sigs on the whole are easy to shoot well. You don't have to struggle to really plant slugs where you want them. The TDA trigger does take some training to get down. There seems to be a bigger difference in the DA and SA pull weights than some other TDAs. Training is the only way to deal with it frankly.

$459.00 is a good price, though condition is everything. I'd have the springs replaced or do them yourself. It's kinda fiddly the first time you try it, but after you figure it out it's not too hard. Youtube is great for that kinda stuff. Sig has a program to do all of that for you at a decent price considering what they are doing.

I'd have a hard time not buying one at $459.00 if I ran across it.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Ross covered them pretty well. I have had two of them (still have the one) both W Germany models and they are just great guns.Never had a problem with either of them and they are very accurate shooting right at point of aim.That is a very good price for one and I wouldn't hesitate getting one at that price one bit...around here they routinely sell for $700-$800 used when you can find one.You should get it.

I would try and find used Sig mags if possible but they are scarce and and command a premium price that isn't worth it to me unless they are being sold very cheap.I have a handful of ACT-MAGS for this pistol and never had a problem with them, Big difference in price between $21 ACT mags and and $60 factory ones.ACT mags are well made and work in these guns quite well.Here is where I get my ACT P220 mags from:

ACT-MAG 1911 and SIG SAUER P220 : Greg Cote, LLC

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have to add that they are great pistols. Mine was born in 1996 and was made in Germany and assembled in the US. It has the standard stamped and folded carbon steel slide. Shoots like a dream and is completely reliable with any ammo I feed it. If the gun is in nice condition, that is a good price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought you were talking about the one I have for sale in the Classifieds! Then I saw the price you were quoting and it's half mine!

No worries!

The P220 is IMO the best 45 out there. It has the finest decocker ever designed. Unlike a Beretta or Walther which scares the crap out of you, the Sigs "Lower" the hammer. The P220 is very soft shooting for a 45. It is very accurate. The most important thing is that it goes bang when you pull the trigger on most any type of 45 round. Mine eats anything 100%. This does not happen with any 1911 IME. You'll find some very expensive 1911s that will eat a "few" things, but most are finciky eaters. Not good if your life may depend on the gun feeding.

Only gig I would have is the DA to SA transition. When the trigger finally breaks on the DA, you get frame movement, the gun jumps. The SA trigger is very good. You can tune some of this Jump out with springing and trigger jobs, but you'll still have it to a certain extent. Not a deal breaker to me, just something you have to accept with the design.

Also the DA/SA setup to me is the safest to carry.

Looks like you have found a good deal there.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have a nickel plated 220 I bought from Summit. I am experiencing an issue where the hammer drops on its own and its double-tapped two different times. My friend suspects its a worn sear. When I can spare the money, I will have it fixed. Its a great shooting 45, probably the equal to my 645. That is a good price btw.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I've owned a somewhat beat up 220 since 1998, bought it used. Great pistol.

Novak and Sig mags work the best. They used to show up on eBay quite a bit for cheap.

If you do a spring replacement go all OEM, avoid the xtra power sets. The Sig doesn't need that shit, and it will likely cause trouble. Also, the W.German made 220's use the same recoil spring as the 226, and the American ones use one specifically for the 220. Put an 'American Weight' spring on a W. German gun and it will cause trouble. Different slide weights I think.

Good luck, that's a good price.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I have had 2 German Sigs and my experience has been 50/50. The W. German P226 was a fail. The German P220 is ok however, good mags don't like to be loaded past 4 rounds. The just stop. If you use a stick to push the follower the way down it works fine. If you use ammo the get stuck after 4. Had a few problems with loading. The slide wouldn't strip the round of the mag. When it shoots it shoots good but I find the G21 a softer shooter

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Even already having two 220's, if I saw one for the price in the OP I'd dislocate my shoulder whipping out my wallet. Oh, FYI SIG just announced they will be building the 220 in 10mm.

I have two of the 220's, one is US and the other is German with the heel release. Mags aren't interchangeable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had 2 German Sigs and my experience has been 50/50. The W. German P226 was a fail. The German P220 is ok however, good mags don't like to be loaded past 4 rounds. The just stop. If you use a stick to push the follower the way down it works fine. If you use ammo the get stuck after 4. Had a few problems with loading. The slide wouldn't strip the round of the mag. When it shoots it shoots good but I find the G21 a softer shooter
I've seen 2 scenarios similar to yours.

1) The mag will click and feel like it's locked in, but is not, you have to push it a little further to like a second click. If you don't do that, it won't strip a round off.

2) They mag has an angled area around the bullet tip on both sides. With some ammo, this would not allow the ammo to feed, I "mod'd" that area with a file and fixed it. The ammo was Remington I think from Wally world, JHP. Wide shouldered ammo. Once I mod'd the mag, no issues, it would feed anything, but it shouldn't have done this IMO.

Here you can see the round not feeding, I did not take a pic of the mod'd mag. I did not have to take much off.

P1020267.JPG

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
I just snagged one this weekend for a little less than what the OP paid for his. All matching example (frame, slide and barrel) with a date of 1989 on the slide. Have not fired it yet, but spent most of last night, and today going over it with fine tooth comb. I plan on sending it in to the SIG shop for a detail strip, barrel crown and spring change.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I looked over the gun earlier today, and it turned out to be a German made one. I noticed some definite finish wear on the barrel, but I didn't find that worrisome in the least. It didn't take long for me to buy the gun after looking at it. The gun came with three stainless steel factory magazines (two eight round ones and a ten round one), and I never had an issue with the gun or the magazines on the range (I must have fired around 200 rounds or so of Blazer Brass and Magtech through the gun). I am still getting used to the double action pull on the gun, but I don't have any problems hitting a target in this mode (I even managed to get a bull's eye in DA at 10 yards); I would feel confident trusting my life to a gun like this if necessity dictated.

The gun is in fact accurate, and even though I have only fired this gun once, I do like it better than the M1911A1 (perhaps les_garten is correct in stating this is the best .45 automatic pistol). :) The gun's decocker also sets the hammer down rather softly (I don't have much experience with decockers, but the Sig's decocker is far superior to the M92FS's decocker).

Ross covered them pretty well. I have had two of them (still have the one) both W Germany models and they are just great guns.Never had a problem with either of them and they are very accurate shooting right at point of aim.That is a very good price for one and I wouldn't hesitate getting one at that price one bit...around here they routinely sell for $700-$800 used when you can find one.You should get it.

I would try and find used Sig mags if possible but they are scarce and and command a premium price that isn't worth it to me unless they are being sold very cheap.I have a handful of ACT-MAGS for this pistol and never had a problem with them, Big difference in price between $21 ACT mags and and $60 factory ones.ACT mags are well made and work in these guns quite well.Here is where I get my ACT P220 mags from:

ACT-MAG 1911 and SIG SAUER P220 : Greg Cote, LLC
Thanks. I will keep these magazines in mind, as I would prefer to avoid paying a premium if possible.

This isn't the best picture one could take of the gun, but my camera's battery ended up dying on me:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am somewhat curious about a used Sig Sauer P220 chambered in .45 ACP. Does anyone have experience with these guns? I have fired a P226 before, and while I am not used to DA/SA (I mostly fire GLOCK, 1911, Tokarev, and Hi-Power variants), I did better than expected in double action with that P226; I could become accustomed to it. This used gun has an appealing price tag of $459.00, and from what I can tell, it seems to be in decent condition.
I have one, shots like a champ, no issues no matter what kind of ammo is used. And at 460, that's a pretty good price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts