AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked a trade on a 551A1 and 24 mags. When the 556 came out I wasnt interested because of the AR mags. The rifle is new unfired. No its not Swiss quality but the 550 series always interested me and this is as close as I'm going to get. Anyone have any feedback on them? Its on the way regardless but wanted to see wha owners had to say.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Had one. Customized it into a 551 clone (including a steel Swiss lower, Swiss handguards, Swiss sights, etc.). Got bored with it and sold it after that.

In the end, it's ultimately a 5.56 AK.

SigUSA has had some periodic issues with canting, and fitment issues between the upper and lower. Inspect before purchase and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have one of the 556 rifles and absolutely love it! I am jealous...I would love a 551 A1 as well! Pics when you get it

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
m03 said:
Had one. Customized it into a 551 clone (including a steel Swiss lower, Swiss handguards, Swiss sights, etc.). Got bored with it and sold it after that.

In the end, it's ultimately a 5.56 AK.

SigUSA has had some periodic issues with canting, and fitment issues between the upper and lower. Inspect before purchase and you should be good to go.
this is spot on.

i got a 556 model...for my reasons...(wish now i didnt buy it) and it sits in the corner. No matter what the internet salesmen tell you, this "swiss kalashnikov" does nothing (FOR ME) that my AK-103 cant do.

i did some serious accuracy tests with my 556 and was a bit dissapointed. the fit the between upper and lower is lousy. You can see daylight through mine. The handguards rattle like a beat up 1911. there is actually 2mm of play on the upper handguards. Last time I talked to Krebs he was telling me about accurizing them in the future...so I was like...OH KEWL

then i was like WHY? am excited over this? wish i didnt buy 12K hornady 77 grain BTHP projectiles to suit the fast 1:7 twist barrel...otherwise to gunbroker it would go :neutral:

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
It is basically an AK with AR style safety and magazine release (well, on the 556 an AR style mag release) and an actual hard mounted picatinny rail on top, plus an adjustable gas system (two positions- normal and adverse). Basically an AK with the upgrades an AK needs after 50+ years.

They are good guns, and we (Manticore Arms) actually make a lot of aftermarket parts for it.

Handguards can be a bit rattly on some of them, and a lot of people are not fans of the OEM "lumpy club" grip, but for the price you get a folding stock, better control ergonomics, and in general a more "modern" setup for the rifle than an AK.

Sven
Manticore Arms

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I personally love the way mine shoots! It is probably the smoothest shooting semi-auto gun I have ever shot.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The good: they look cool and the extra weight makes recoil negligable. Love the peep diopter sight. Haven't had any feeding issues with AR mags. Since the upper is the serial'd part, it's easy to get a 551 lower for rock-and-lock.

The bad: accuracy is so-so and it's heavier than an AK. Fills a hole in a collection but isn't really an improvement over an AR/AK. Fit on the lower/upper is pretty sloppy and the folding stock pin comes out way too easily.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
rob-cubed said:
The good: they look cool and the extra weight makes recoil negligable. Love the peep diopter sight. Haven't had any feeding issues with AR mags. Since the upper is the serial'd part, it's easy to get a 551 lower for rock-and-lock.

The bad: accuracy is so-so and it's heavier than an AK. Fills a hole in a collection but isn't really an improvement over an AR/AK. Fit on the lower/upper is pretty sloppy and the folding stock pin comes out way too easily.
you dude you nailed it. I had zero feeding/extracting issues with my Lancer mags. So far ran like a champ. The rear sight is ok, i like the notch setting since i am used to the AK sights, and it suits me well. One time during a 3-gun match i did have a an issue- since you mentioned the rear sight....when going prone somehow the diopter got rotated and instead of 100 i was set to 300 meter mark. I was shooting way high and had to come down..after that part of th ematch i looked at the sight and realized that it was on the wrong setting. On my rifle the sight moved way to easy- check yours. It doesnt take much to for the diopter to rotate.
otherwise yea..a top heavy AK that takes AR mags...as far as adjustible gas system goes- i would like to see ANYONE EVER use it.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
voron said:
as far as adjustible gas system goes- i would like to see ANYONE EVER use it.
It's useless in many cases anyway, as SigUSA has a history of either drilling the gas ports in reverse, or drilling them both the same size. You're definitely not getting Swiss QC with the US made guns.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
I was able to pop clay pigeons at 100 yards standing unsupported one after another with a friend's sig 556 classic with those lovely diopter sights.

'Big deal' you might say...well... it is since I usually SUCK at shooting.

Keep badmouthing em though. Hopefully they'll come down in price and I can grab one nice and cheap. :twisted:

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should be here tomorrow so we'll see just how much I like it. Its a SWAT model. I'm ditching the rail for some Swissor US made Swiss style handguards (which ever I can find) and leaving it at that I like diopter sights and want a beater rifle to keepon the quad or in the truck while I'm out and about. The border is close and I don't ever go out much into the mountains without a long gun.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Let us know how you like it, I'm curious as to whether or not I should add one or not... Don't really want another 5.56 rifle but I think I'd replace a lower end AR with one to fun-gun with.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will do! I've had other 5.56 AK's. They're fine but the Sig's always drew me in. I wouldn't ever pay what authentic Swiss rifles go for, so this is the next best option. It may not be Swiss quality but it should do just fine. If its a 3 MOA shooter with M855 ill be happy. Will post up a review once I run it through its paces.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I prefer the 556 because it does use ar15 mags. I rather pay $10 a mag then $50. mine is accurate (scoped) and reliable. The loose upper to lower fit does bother me so I used a rubber adhesive to fill in that gap. the barrel is pretty skinny, I wish it came in a HBAR version.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Friend has one...he is a great bench shot, and this rifle is freakishly accurate. :eek: Best of luck with yours, I've always liked them.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rifle showed up today. Initial thoughts....I really like it. Did a lot of reading with mixed reviews and was impressed by the quality when it finally arrived. Fit and finish is very good overall. The upper and lower fit is tight. In fact...the only rattle comes from the trigger guard...which appears to be AR spec. I'll fix that on my own though. The left side rear edge is a bit sharp on the web of the firing hand with the stock folded...but I'll never shoot it that way so that's fine as well. It's a bit front heavy, but after removing the rail (just as a test) it feels light and balances very nicely. I'll likely ditch the rail as I have no plans to hang anything off of this rifle. While I think this KISS principle is stupid on a self defense firearm (why not have every advantage you can get)...this rifle will remain iron sighted and weaponlight-less. The mags seem high quality. They're actual Swiss mags and not US made. Another surprise was also the Swiss stock assembly (vs a US made one). I'm slightly disappointed with the quality of the US Sig Sauer made rear diopter sight. Not that anything is wrong with it but it does not feel as solid as those on HK-91's I've owned in the past. I may...big may...purchase a Swiss Sig rail mount diopter. Overall I got a great deal on the rifle and mags (two dozen of them) so I'm pleased. After shaving a bit more weight off of the rifle by losing the quad rail I'll be very pleased.

I'll post up again after I get it out in the desert this weekend and put some rounds through it after zeroing. I believe it will be an accurate shooter and I love diopter sights. Just need to find some handguards and a sling...

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mags showed up today. Wonder what this would weigh loaded up??? I'll give a range review on Sat or Sunday.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts