AK Rifles banner

SHTF:Vehicles of choice?

10K views 81 replies 35 participants last post by  43m1garand 
#1 ·
Well, I perused the "Stickies" and didn't find anything on vehicles I.E. cars,trucks or others. What would your base choice be? Petro or Diesel? Deck it out? Keep it simple? Your idea of a plausible/implausible scenario? Resources? Other?????

#2 ·
Everyone's situation is different.
Your location dictates your needs.
Urban/rural/mountain/flat fields/beaches
Weather and geography in Northern States, Southern States (Arid areas, rivers, woods, precipitation, etc).

Everybody will answer depending on their own situation therefore not being able to give you a goon answer which fits your needs.

A bicycle is a good choice in certain situations (thing densely populated urban areas where traffic will be a nightmare during panic).
A motorcycle would be next level up.
A quad/ATV one level up from a motorcycle if you want to carry some supplies or another person (spouse/kid/friend/pet)
A small car (good gas mileage)
SUV/Truck for rough terrain
Boat if you live by a lake or coastal areas
Fuel does not matter since you won't find any functioning fuel stations. Yes, you can rob a car or truck to steal their gasoline or diesel. In that situation no rules or morals will apply.

Do you store any fuel just in case?
Do you have several vehicles? Do you keep them gassed up? Do you have any gas canisters? (for a leaf blower, lawn mower, etc)

I have touched on this subject a couple of months ago describing an escape scenario in an urban environment.
I used maps and pictures to illustrate my point of view.

But, again, everyone's situation will be different given their location, size of their family, geography, weather, population density, etc.

Answer those questions first and you will get to your final answer without any help.

#4 ·
So you have some foundation from which someone can build and adapt from? So any advice on Pre-GPS vehicles?

#5 ·
Find a vehicle which suit the best in your area and the one with huge fuel tank and small usage of fuel.

For example on my previous car - rural hatchback (Renault Megane II) with tank about 60 liters of diesel where I could ran 1000 - 1200 km on one tank (usually between fueling it was 900 - 950 km but I could still drive on a reserve). Now I've Suzuki Ignis with small tank which contains only 31 liters of gasoline and with range about 400 - 450 km which sucks.

On one US forum that I've been years ago there was some similiar topic and I've choose ATV/FAV but the best idea was of one guy who choose police car - some SUV with extra heating, boosted engine and other stuff.

Stuff like webasto/heating will be useful in cold weather when your car could be your place of stay even for a night - you need to consider that you will be running during winter or autumn.

#7 ·
This is also a solution but can you start a car without car key?

#9 ·
If the s hits the fan you most likely will be on foot. Once things fall apart so does supplies like Gas or Diesel. People trying to survive will be looking for food and water you better find a good place to hide and bring the necessities you have stockpiled to a safe place. Any time you go our foraging you better have a 360 degree visual so you do not become a victim. When s hits the fan everyone is endangered.

#10 · (Edited)
I agree- mostly on foot. Travel will NOT be fun. Aside from a retired Armored car most vehicles are pretty thin skinned.

Desperate people would eventually set up road blocks to take stuff from people attempting to travel. If I was alone in the world with no one left I think I'd spend my last days "hunting" the predators that prey on the weak. White Knight Sheep Dog Syndrome I suppose.

On my recommended reading list is the novel "Lights Out" by David Crawford. It has what I consider to be a pretty realistic presentation of what travel would be like in a post-EMP world.

But in a world where that wouldn't happen...

A Suzuki Samurai with a 1.6 VW diesel swap - there are swap kits - would be quite useful. Those early diesel use a mechanical Bosch fuel injection pump. As long as the fuel pump cut-off switch has a supply of 9 volts and as long as their is a fuel supply that engine will RUN - even with no charging system operating. It is the simplest engine design I am aware of. I was trained on those engines in my 1984 auto diesel class at UTI. I won't tell you they are the easiest engine to work on - its just that you don't have to work on them often.

If the world is filled with non-running cars there is a fuel source in those cars that a mechanical injector pump diesel can use - automatic transmission fluid. I surmise 85-90% of cars currently on the road have an automatic transmission. ATF has the added benefit that is doesn't "go stale" like other fuels.

On the VW's it is a common practice to fill the fuel filter with auto trans fluid when priming and bleeding the injector pump. The old diesels run well on auto trans fluid.

For a diesel truck I'd look at an old Dodge with a Cummins - 1995, etc.

The bad news is the supply of older diesel vehicles is drying up.

#11 ·
Depends on bugging out or bugging in.

Mountain bike
ATV
Argo
Land cruiser
Tacoma only non EMP proof vehicle.
trailer

Each has it's advantages and disadvantages so making them scenario specific Bug out scenario, will want to be on point with the current events and plan/ pre-position certain assets. All vehicles useful for my retreat local.
Bugging in, I see the bicycle being very handy for reconn but not so much for scavenging. Argo is good for that, quiet, fuel efficient, carrying capacity and goes anywhere just not quickly. It will get you there and back though.
It's all speculation of course and they are all fun in the non shtf scenario called life.

#12 ·
Ones best option would be to stay home and form a neighborhood militia. Barricading and patrolling your neighborhood in shifts with neighbors would be a good start. Many of us have enough rifles to supply the neighborhood. Sure would be a better option than looters taking them after your gone.

If one had to leave then it depends on geographical location, what kind of attack, and if vehicles are accessible. If they are and majority of people are using theirs then i would think a sidexside UTV like a polaris or a canam or some sort would be best. Versatile, good on fuel, and easy access in and out.

If vehicles were in short supply, id hoof it on foot. Less of a target.

#13 · (Edited)
If you had the ability to keep the batteries charged an electric golf cart would be a good option for short range local travel. Some members on my hunting lease use them to sneak up on hogs - vewy vewy quiet.

I bought a cheap Yamaha G2 gas powered golf cart for the hunting lease. I have less than $600 in it. It came with a roof, folding windshield and bed already installed - still have to weld repair the cracked frame - that model rusts under the battery. Uses a common automotive battery. External starter/stator driven by a belt rather than a expensive and labor intensive internal stator. l If the stores were still open I'd use the G2 for neighborhood travel to save fuel. It's not that quiet since it is gas but its systems are stupid simple compared to the more modenr ATV/UTA vehicles my lease friends have. In the last year my friends have paid big bucks for repairs on their modern UTA/ATVs.

#25 ·
Golf cart would suck in the winter where I live. But rest of year would be fine. People in my small town ride around on golf carts, ATVs, side by sides and riding mowers even though technically illegal. My town does not have a PD and the Sheriff deputies probably have more important things to worry about. Some towns around where I live allow them if they have plates. Scooters, mopeds and motorcycles would be the most fuel efficient, though not so great in snow and ice.

#17 ·
This is only my point of view and it does not apply to everybody.

I live in LA area.
We had riots, major Earthquakes, floods, landslides, fires, midgets and clowns, etc.

There was never a need to evacuate and bug out. Just saying.
Besides, during a major event the traffic is horrible. Well it is horrible on a normal day, but during something like this you can't get anywhere by car.
A snail would outrun you.

Again and again, your situation will vary.

If you are in a rural area, what the hell are you worried about?
I see a lot more people in the rural area looking seriously at bugging out.
No social unrest danger there, yet they want to flee.

On another note, some people consider themselves very patriotic and want to defend the country in case of an invasion (who will probably invade is a topic for another day...), yet they are looking at running away to a remote area.
Whatever.

What the hell are you running from?
Earthquakes?
War?
Riots? (do you live downtown, next to a Nike shop?)
Hurricanes?

Or are you simply looking for adventure and/or camping?

Overlanding is pretty hot nowadays.

#21 ·
Another perspective on this topic, a bit biased in my opinion, but again this setup fits this guy's needs and not others'.
As I constantly mentioned, everyone's situation will be different. Sometimes you may be lucky and find yourself in a similar situation and need as someone else.

Hope this helps.
RAM Diesel 4x4.

#35 ·
+1., stay home unless it is not habitable or unsafe.

Unless you plan to go off road or have a very secluded predetermined and approved destination a gas eating 4x4 is really not a particularly great choice.

Might be best with something that gets good mileage and cab get you where you want to go and back again etc., with limited fuel use. Gather supplies.., etc.

Too much depends on what kinda $shit hit what kinda fan?

Flood, fire, tornado, hurricane, civil war, volcanic eruption, riots, earthquake, pandemic, famine, lack of water, asteroids, alien invasion, zombies,....., etc

#36 ·
This year has been the perfect scenario to evaluate and reevaluate your options and plans.

Did anybody bug out?
Where? How far away?
How? Modes of travel?
For how long?
Alone?
Was bugging out a better choice instead of staying home?
What would you do differently next time?
Did you learn anything?
Was it necessary?

I hope those questions help out in making plans for the future.

#38 ·
In most cases roads will be still there. Tornadoes and hurricanes can leave much debris on roads and off of roads so a Land Cruiser or Jeep will be just as worthless as a Prius. Unless you have assess to a bulldozer, large front-end loader, or a tank you are going nowhere unless walking. Then if there are electric lines down you are not even walking. If there is a gas leak that area needs to be avoided. Flooding from heavy rains, snow melt, or hurricane would require some type of shallow water boat. An outboard motor on the boat can get entangled in underwater debris.

As dixy2k says it depends on your location and situation.

#40 ·
For some people a truck with an ATV inside would be a very good option. You can carry a lot more farther that way until it becomes impossible for the truck to travel.
Chainsaw, axe, farm jack, bolt/chain cutters, cookware, food and water should be things to consider.
Some of those items could be carried on the ATV as well and get deeper into the woods, hills, mountains or whatever...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.