AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Another perspective on this topic, a bit biased in my opinion, but again this setup fits this guy's needs and not others'.
As I constantly mentioned, everyone's situation will be different. Sometimes you may be lucky and find yourself in a similar situation and need as someone else.

Hope this helps.
RAM Diesel 4x4.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree- mostly on foot. Travel will NOT be fun. Aside from a retired Armored car most vehicles are pretty thin skinned.
Even so called "armored cars" might as well be thin skinned. At least the vehicles which courier companies use to pick up money from businesses and deliver to banks are only resistant to handguns and bird/buckshot. Rifle and intermediate calibers will go right through them unless you have a rare example of one that actually has armor plating, as opposed to cheap sheet steel which most are made out of.

Oddly enough, the most durable part of most Armored Cars are usually the windows, which usually are a bullet resistant glass.

Anyway, back to travel,

You won't be doing much and would need to conserve the gasoline that you do have since you won't be resupplying regularly. Which means walking wherever you can and limiting any travel that requires the use of a vehicle.

Little stuff like motorcycles, mopeds, etc... would be preferred due to fuel efficiency and less obvious nature. That said, ideally you'd be able to acquire a horse and be able to ride it instead. Then you don't need gasoline at all.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
If you had the ability to keep the batteries charged an electric golf cart would be a good option for short range local travel. Some members on my hunting lease use them to sneak up on hogs - vewy vewy quiet.

I bought a cheap Yamaha G2 gas powered golf cart for the hunting lease. I have less than $600 in it. It came with a roof, folding windshield and bed already installed - still have to weld repair the cracked frame - that model rusts under the battery. Uses a common automotive battery. External starter/stator driven by a belt rather than a expensive and labor intensive internal stator. l If the stores were still open I'd use the G2 for neighborhood travel to save fuel. It's not that quiet since it is gas but its systems are stupid simple compared to the more modenr ATV/UTA vehicles my lease friends have. In the last year my friends have paid big bucks for repairs on their modern UTA/ATVs.
Golf cart would suck in the winter where I live. But rest of year would be fine. People in my small town ride around on golf carts, ATVs, side by sides and riding mowers even though technically illegal. My town does not have a PD and the Sheriff deputies probably have more important things to worry about. Some towns around where I live allow them if they have plates. Scooters, mopeds and motorcycles would be the most fuel efficient, though not so great in snow and ice.

·
Registered
550 Posts
That said, ideally you'd be able to acquire a horse and be able to ride it instead. Then you don't need gasoline at all.
But horse need food and water the same as the horse rider - have considered that?

Horse is great but also needs maintance and you can't leave him for couple of days in the garage.

Also horse is good for long term lack of fuel and around our house/hideout where we've got supplies for him and will be useless or difficult to feed him in urban areas.

I thing that you've watched "The Postman" with Kevin Costner - rifles of army of 8 will be great to have.

·
Registered
515 Posts
But horse need food and water the same as the horse rider - have considered that?

Horse is great but also needs maintance and you can't leave him for couple of days in the garage.

Also horse is good for long term lack of fuel and around our house/hideout where we've got supplies for him and will be useless or difficult to feed him in urban areas.

I thing that you've watched "The Postman" with Kevin Costner - rifles of army of 8 will be great to have.
Of course there are still logistical concerns, but they would be a far easier thing long term. Sure, you might not have enough grazing land in an urban area to feed it long term, but if things have gone that bad then you do NOT want to remain in an urban area at all. In that situation, you need to get into the countryside where there are food and water resources. Cities will become barren deserts in very short order.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
if you dont already have your shtf vehicle, idk where youve been for the past 17 years...

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Ones best option would be to stay home and form a neighborhood militia. Barricading and patrolling your neighborhood in shifts with neighbors would be a good start. Many of us have enough rifles to supply the neighborhood. Sure would be a better option than looters taking them after your gone.

If one had to leave then it depends on geographical location, what kind of attack, and if vehicles are accessible. If they are and majority of people are using theirs then i would think a sidexside UTV like a polaris or a canam or some sort would be best. Versatile, good on fuel, and easy access in and out.

If vehicles were in short supply, id hoof it on foot. Less of a target.
I agree staying at home is the best option unless the house is too damaged to live in from flood, tornado or fire.

Reactions: 22many

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Golf cart would suck in the winter where I live. But rest of year would be fine. People in my small town ride around on golf carts, ATVs, side by sides and riding mowers even though technically illegal. My town does not have a PD and the Sheriff deputies probably have more important things to worry about. Some towns around where I live allow them if they have plates. Scooters, mopeds and motorcycles would be the most fuel efficient, though not so great in snow and ice.
I have the opposite issue - heat and humidity. I can't quite recall the last time I saw snow here - 2018 maybe? SE Texas is subtropical. Constant heat, humidity and rain for 8 months of the year. The heat is my kryptonite - I can work one, maybe two full days in the brutal heat but the next day I pay the price - I'm laying around in the A/C.

It can get cold in SE Texas - I kept pretty good records of temps over the last winter - the lowest temp I recorded was 26 degrees with several other days just below 30 degrees at my hunting lease near Lufkin, TX. I've got one of those Browning Hydro-Fleece Goretex hunting suits - wearing it I stay warm when out riding around on the lease. It is like wearing a sleeping bag. East German Ushankas are also very, very warm.

·
Technical Advisor
15,859 Posts
+1., stay home unless it is not habitable or unsafe.

Unless you plan to go off road or have a very secluded predetermined and approved destination a gas eating 4x4 is really not a particularly great choice.

Might be best with something that gets good mileage and cab get you where you want to go and back again etc., with limited fuel use. Gather supplies.., etc.

Too much depends on what kinda $shit hit what kinda fan?

Flood, fire, tornado, hurricane, civil war, volcanic eruption, riots, earthquake, pandemic, famine, lack of water, asteroids, alien invasion, zombies,....., etc

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
This year has been the perfect scenario to evaluate and reevaluate your options and plans.

Did anybody bug out?
Where? How far away?
How? Modes of travel?
For how long?
Alone?
Was bugging out a better choice instead of staying home?
What would you do differently next time?
Did you learn anything?
Was it necessary?

I hope those questions help out in making plans for the future.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
In most cases roads will be still there. Tornadoes and hurricanes can leave much debris on roads and off of roads so a Land Cruiser or Jeep will be just as worthless as a Prius. Unless you have assess to a bulldozer, large front-end loader, or a tank you are going nowhere unless walking. Then if there are electric lines down you are not even walking. If there is a gas leak that area needs to be avoided. Flooding from heavy rains, snow melt, or hurricane would require some type of shallow water boat. An outboard motor on the boat can get entangled in underwater debris.

As dixy2k says it depends on your location and situation.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
For some people a truck with an ATV inside would be a very good option. You can carry a lot more farther that way until it becomes impossible for the truck to travel.
Chainsaw, axe, farm jack, bolt/chain cutters, cookware, food and water should be things to consider.
Some of those items could be carried on the ATV as well and get deeper into the woods, hills, mountains or whatever...

21 - 40 of 52 Posts