AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my and my co worker where talking about taking two guns and only two guns with u when shtf so we desided on a rifle of choice ( ak47 of course ) and a pistol but later that night i was thinking why not a shotgun they have so many different types of ammo and the effective range is much greater ( depending on the load your running ) then a pistol but my co worker insisted that the pistol was much more efficient but i still dont know im confident with both and i understand the pros and cons for both ammo weight,gun weight,overall length,stopping power,practical accuracy and over all versatility but im still not 100% sure

idk i thought it was an interesting topic and i would like to get some input on this what are your guys thoughts what would u take if u could only choose two fire arms and why and would u take a pistol or a shotgun next to your primary firearm thanks again for your input

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was just saying as a whole im as well as most are in an urban and i believe either would be fine for both but just for lols just lets say what ever is around u but like i said i was just taking the situation as a whole

·
Super Moderator
25,763 Posts
The pistol your most comfortable with is a good choice. Personally, I would stay 9mm or above.

·
Registered
315 Posts
1. AK variant
2. semi auto pistol (with multiple 15+ capacity mags)

Pistol favored over shotgun simply for quantity (# of rounds available) & quality (more precise and more situations it can be effective)

As noted, it depends on your environment. If need to face off with large group, etc., then shotgun would have the biggest benefit.

If limited to 2 weapons b/c of weight or space, maybe carry a shorty 12ga or Krink as a 3rd?

Cheers
Harv

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what situations are u referring to ??? shotguns can utilize slugs and all other kinda of shot not trying to argue just trying to understand your train of thought

but naa just two weapons me and my coworker own many guns just looking at what we dont mind parting with and what guns we would trust our lives to

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
A shotgun doesn't make my list of two to take.
Pistol (likely 9mm hi cap + several mags) and rifle or carbine (maybe folding stock) 30 caliber for hunting possibly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Are you talking about bugging out? If so, a rifle and a pistol is about all you can reasonably carry with any pack/etc. at all. I have shotguns for SHTF if I'm able to stay at my designated SHTF group location but if we had to bail on that location and fall back into the woods for any period of time the only weapons I'd bring are a rifle and a pistol. Unless you do a LOT of training, hiking with a pack and a rifle is a huge PITA anyway. Definitely don't want to compound that with another long gun IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
I hike a LOT where I live (mountainous region) and carry always. I have a fair idea of what I could reasonably take with me.... So what I have on hand to take with me in a SHTF scenarios is:

S&W M&P compact 9mm in a Galco classic lite shoulder holder with extra mag in the holster and extra mags in a pack with one of my rifles (AR or AK, but probably AR because they have optics and rounds weigh less) with a number of magazines and ammunition. Ounces are pounds if you're on foot and they add up quick. Still the thought of my underfolding AK is intriguing as well.

Tough call. I'd have to leave the Mossberg 500 at home. 8+1 capacity, but still, weight is an issue. I have a tacti-cool Ruger 10-22 that I could carry with an lot of ammo.

Reactions: Bob567

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would personally have to go with under folding AK with my sling on it of course and my every day carry S&W M&P 9mm. Extra mags and ammo for both of course. I just feel like having a rifle as primary and then a handgun as secondary would be a better benefit. Reasons being ammo capacity, versatility on tight areas, and weight as mentioned. Not to mention in case I have an arm injury or something happens handgun is always easier and much more practical to fireone handed. That's just me personally not to mention i have the most experience with thods 2 guns. I don't take my shotgun out nearly as much.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
Around my home in a SHTF situation?...a AK and a 1911.

In a "big out" situation?...a AR and a 1911.

I'm proficient with a 1911 and the only downfall is limited capacity. But, if I'm using my pistol im up the creek as it is a last resort. The AR comes because it's america rifle and easily outnumbers the AK in terms of ammo, parts, or even complete rifles.

But, realistically if SHTF comes I'll be rallying my neighbors so we can work together in a non violent way.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can't hang a shotgun on my belt and pretty much forget it until I need it, which means that if I need to use two hands or go crawling uphill through brush then having a rifle and a pistol to take along is going to be much less of a pain in the ass than having a rifle and a shotgun. Cut the shotgun down until it's as handy to carry along as a handgun, and you sacrifice a great deal of the flexibility and usability that distinguishes the shotgun. And if things are ugly, I want a rifle a lot more than I want a shotgun!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Everyone has a favorite. Consider these sugestions when you choose

(1) common caliber
(2) minimal parts to function
(3) pistol that's comfortable in your hand
(4) tested platform with good reviews

1 - 20 of 53 Posts