AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in an apartment. Every time I leave I can just feel the eyes watching me. I sure don't want people to know I'm coming and going with firearms.

In an SHTF situation like Katrina, I could just see my apartment being raided and invaded by looters, etc., seeking weapons and ammo.

If I'm there, I can hold them off, but what if the disaster starts while I'm at work and return home to find my SHTF gear gone?

I decided years ago to start disguising my gun hobby from prying eyes.

Only people I know very well are aware of my gun hobby.

Handguns are easy to conceal, but how do you come and go with long guns without the neighbors seeing your gun case, range bag, etc.?

First off, I never wear camo or anything that suggests hunting or shooting when leaving the apartment.

Second, I "disguise" my hobby.

Disguise #1:

1. First, I chose a gun case that doesn't look like a gun case. I use the black fiberglass cases by Hoppes #9--now discontinued. Aluminum cases work well, too. The case has safety stickers on it that say "FACE SHIELD MUST BE WORN WHEN OPERATING". It helps that I like AK's because the gun case is usually shorter than another type of long gun would require.
2. I carry my mags, web gear, etc, in a standard flip-lid toolbox.
3. The cherry on top--you'll laugh--I wear a standard $4.00 yellow hard hat from the apartment to the car and vice versa. I also wear some sort of "work clothes" that suggest I'm on the way to a construction site rather than the range.
4. I tend to do my gun stuff on Saturday since most people don't work on Sunday even in some kind of industry.

Disguise #2:

1. I carry the rifle in an overlong duffle bag. To provide padding, I put a couple of pieces of hard plastic in the bottom to provide "structure", then cover that with foam pillows. I put the gun on top and zip it up. It's important to have the "structural" materials to disguise the shape of the gun and provide padding for when the gun bounces around on rough roads.
2. I carry my other gear in large duffle bags.
3. I dress in sweats or other attire to suggest going to the gym, etc.

Finally, I switch back and forth between the two methods.

I won't discuss how I hide my firearms in my apartment: I want some things to remain secret.

I know my methods aren't perfect, but I thought I'd share my paranoia with y'all. :grin:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use one of these to pack up stuff going to the range

You put the ammo in the bottom and then mags and the likes up top with ears or plugs and staple gun and the likes.

The wheels help when moving the ammo alot :grin:

Soft guitar cases are another idea for the guns

·
Registered
132 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
The toolbox looks exactly like mine.
Great minds.... LOL!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
eodinert said:
The dead body in front of your place will discourage follow-on looters.
DAMN! And I went through ALL that trouble to bury it in the swamp...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Well...

...not too elegant but took the AK from my apt to my truck for its 1st trip to the range today in a green garbage bag :twisted:

At a distance, and from the way I was carrying it, you'd think I was just carrying some laudry or misc stuff around.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I keep a few cheap rifles and shotguns around. I leave them in closets, under the bed, in the corner, ect. Places where the "casual" dirtbag will most likely look. The good stuff is locked up in a safe hiden in an out of the way spot in the house. This may not work in a SHTF situation, but they won't make it past the front door then, anyway. If I leave under these conditions, they will go with me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use a nasty,raggedy- ass golf bag. It has a zipper cover,and lots of pockets. Have a friend who bowls,looking for an old bowling ball bag. To and from the car,I look like just another golfer.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I use a gun case that says "GUN GAURD" and is covered in stickers that say things like, "My security system is a 75 round drum" :twisted:.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr Zero said:
I use one of these to pack up stuff going to the range

You put the ammo in the bottom and then mags and the likes up top with ears or plugs and staple gun and the likes.

The latest issue of SWAT magazine actually suggests using a toolbox almost identical to this!

G

·
0 Posts
I own my house. I have fortified the gun room so that only the most determined may enter without me.
I carry obvious gun cases to and from the car wearing my regular clothing.
I see no reason to hide in my personal circumstances.

G

·
0 Posts
Zane Zackerly said:
[quote="Dr Zero":131r3xyk]I use one of these to pack up stuff going to the range

The latest issue of SWAT magazine actually suggests using a toolbox almost identical to this![/quote:131r3xyk]

I am glad I got mine from Walmart when I did then because instead of $20 they will change the name from "tool box" to "Tactical Box" and charge $50

·
Registered
49 Posts
i guess im the only one who just slings his ak on his back and carrys it out to his car who lives in an apartment complex? :shock:

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: I've started putting my "gun" case inside a larger keyboard case that I've had for years.

Now when I carry my stuff to and from the truck, it just looks like I'm carrying a duffle bag and a suitcase.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Continuing on this topic, watch your stuff at the range, I have heard of rifles walking off when guys were changing their targets. I always keep a loaded rifle or pistol with me and always operate in tandom, one guy stays back, the other redoes the targets. It's easy sometimes to get lazy or distracted talking to someone and then turn around to see something missing. Lost a few magazines this way over the years.

·
Registered
137 Posts
One of the best ways to protect your firearms is to be careful who you tell what you have. Dont tell casual aquantances or neighbors what you have. Even if you and your buddies are talking guns at a bar or other public place you never know who is listening.

·
Registered
716 Posts
RJMech said:
One of the best ways to protect your firearms is to be careful who you tell what you have. Dont tell casual aquantances or neighbors what you have. Even if you and your buddies are talking guns at a bar or other public place you never know who is listening.
major +1

1 - 20 of 88 Posts