AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I succumbed to the horrible little voices in my head and purchased a rifle built on an Bulgarian receiver and a Russian parts kit. My mate will now probably shoot me with it when/if she finds out.

I included some quick photos of it but I'm at odds with the original purpose of the purchase was. I was originally going to make a North Korean Type 58 out of it since I have a bayonet, sling, and magazine for it. And have a worn rear sight I'll later etch on to turn into North Korean. It needs some touching-up as I've got to work on the side sling swivel and muzzle nut detent. But from photos I have and seeing several in-person, I'm happy with keeping the furniture as-is (will later put a more color-matching pistol grip on it).

However, it's Russian appearance and parts is really steering me to leave it Russian. I don't mean to sound snobbish as a lot of folks would kill for a Russian Type III clone, but I'm on the fence about what to do and could use a little advice from any folks here. Here's a few quick photos:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
only if you already have a fixed T3, here's my vote...........

that mag you have just might not look right in anything else :grin:

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the advice and value all the members' opinions. I didn't want to say at first because it might come off as kind of snobbish but I already have a Type III full-buttstock clone that's essentially a dressed-up Arsenal Classic and a Type III underfolder clone on a Firingline receiver and a Russian parts kit someone did. I figured that since I'm satisfied with both of those rifles and have the accessories for the Type 58, I'd do something unique with it - after some tweaks, arsenal mark/selector marks, bluing, etc.

No big deal. Just looking to get a general feel from others about the idea of "Korean-izing" it from what it already is. The photo that AlphaDam attached and another I attached is really what gave me the itch.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
What kind of kit is it on?

If its a Russian kit with Cyrillic serial numbers on the parts, then really you are best served with a Russian or Bulgarian clone..

How about a Bulgarian clone? Everyone always seems to clone Russian guns...

Some Bulgarian pics for inspiration:

Plastic stock set:

or a double stamped AK47

There is also the overlooked dark wood with fat plastic pistol grip, or a modern all black plastic gun.....

If the kit serial number is not in Cyrillic, then the sky is the limit....

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good ideas, Rob. I figured I'd never, ever come into a Type 68 kit for a clone and this rifle might be the answer as I've wanted to make a humble North Korean clone. I believe I did see a double stamp milled underfolder in Iraq but a good chunk of my Iraq photos got sucked into oblivion when my laptop commited suicide.

As luck would have it, the serial numbers on my top cover do have a Cyrillic prefix. Simple things to replace if need be but not worried about them - I have an old top cover without markings that can be re-stamped.

Great food for thought, as always, and very thankful for all the opinions from everyone. It's nice to be able to get other thoughts from members here. :hail:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Don had some decent AKs there, looked like he woke up to market price this show. I looked at it with no intent to purchase, you must have been strolling along right after!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You could just refinish the wood and leave it the way it is. I did that with my polish kit. I just degrease the wood, slightly stain it to bring out he colors and left it in the condition it came in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Very nice ;)

G

·
0 Posts
I'd stick to the North Korean T58 clone, knowing you already have a Russian clone. The pics of that North Korean posted earlier were incredible.

A battlefield North Korean sounds good to me. :wink:

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Rayman1 :
I think what ever you decide to do will be good.
Please keep us posted, I want to see how and what you come up with ?
Alfred :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts