AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going hunting in a few months and I need some stimulation. Last year I screwed around and didn't take all the necessary precaution for anti-deer detection. I was hunting (stalking) in the ozarks and lost several deer ranging from 100 yards to 30 feet. They all saw/smelled me first. Anyway, I'm getting squared away this season and have been geekin' about it for weeks. Show me your last season kills and what camo, scent blocker, rifle, terrain, etc you used. I'm looking for any ideas. Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Not the best from around here but the FIRST one always matters doesnt it?

I wish I could say it was all my boy but I had to help him.

This was obviously the 30-30, usually use a Kimber 45 in 45super for the close clover field (40 yards and under) and a remington 700 7mm for anything further. Also use a .223 bushy as the mood hits me. Boy uses a 357 mag single shot or 410 bolt action mossberg, got to get to practicing.

Do have a new bean field out to 600 yards which, of course, will be the 7 mag.
Cammy is my czech top and a camo stand, boy doesnt need camo b/c he is out of sight until something comes along.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
^^^^awesome pic.my 4year old has been to the range,but not in the woods yet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Careful what you ask for...you just might get it!!!

GRAPHIC PHOTO WARNING....
^
^
^
^
^

After a long morning in the stand with nothing to show for it, I was walking out of the woods on a game trail towards a corn field. I look up at the trail head and all I can see are two big ears standing at the entrance to the trail. I look through the scope and all I can see are the ears, eyes and nose. I figure the best shot is a head shot (clean kill or clean miss..not much of a chance of wounding ths one) so I place the crosshairs on the nose and slowly squeeze the trigger...BOOM... From 75 yards away all I can see from where the deer once stood was PINK MIST CLOUD drifting in the morning sun... :dance:

Small Doe..commonly called a SUSHI deer cause the meat so pink and tender it's good enough to eat raw!!!!

.270 Browning A-Bolt using Ballistic Silver tips. Some of the jacket and bullet base was lodged in the spine at the base of the brain...

And for the Horn hunter crowd, I EAT my deer , not look at the horns on my wall so big musky smelling , gammey tasting BUCKS do not appeal to me...The younger the better...something in the 75-110lbs range eats the best. I feed the Old Horny Head meat to my Falcon/Hnting Hawks! :wink:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
the smaller the sweeter! your right about that ak kid. 75 yards with a 270.. kinda like a chainsaw at 2 feet

buck meat goes to dog food for the year here. When the freezer is full of doe, the rest goes to a few regulars who are happy for the extra meat.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Like you, I am also looking forward to the start of deer season. I hunt in middle Georgia. All my land is wooded. Almost all my deer are taken while stalking. I do not do anything special other than walk quietly, have a keen eye, and quick reflexes. :wink:

These are pics from hunts spanning the last few seasons. Me and the war poodle love hunting with the AK's. It is all we use. :grin:

:twisted:

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
-x- i never tire of seeing that pup of yours.he's great.i havn't been hunting in a few years,but i plan on going this year.i have a box of some norinco 7,62x39 SP stashed away.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Once or twice a season I take out WWII guns and AKs. Love the Garand but it is a chuck. Got an ak 45 winmag in process now for stalking this season.
Good pics. This is getting me excited about this season too.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I also never tire of seeing the mighty Warpoodle!

·
Registered
612 Posts

Last years kill. Shot this guy about 130 yds out with my 30-06 . couldn't tell he was a half rack otherwise I would have let him pass on by.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here's one from '05 I think. .300 Remington Ultra Mag at about 20 yards. Possible overkill :wink:
It's only a 3 point. The extent of my horn hunting would be, if two bucks are standing side by side, I would probably shoot the bigger one. Otherwise, I don't care.

·
Registered
21,861 Posts
bishopm14 said:
Here's one from '05 I think. .300 Remington Ultra Mag at about 20 yards. Possible overkill :wink:
It's only a 3 point. The extent of my horn hunting would be, if two bucks are standing side by side, I would probably shoot the bigger one. Otherwise, I don't care.
if two bucks are standing side by side, you could get both with the .300 Remington Ultra Mag.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here are Addict and Mrs. Addicts bucks from last year. Got 2 does too, but no pics :neutral:

Both taken in early November with crossbow. We are very much looking forward to this year!! 7 weeks until the bow season starts :dance:
Addict

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Crossbows? where are you that you can use crossbows? they are illegal here.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
vz58 said:
Crossbows? where are you that you can use crossbows? they are illegal here.
You can use Crossbows in just about all bow season locations, if you can prove you can't physically manipulate bow for some medical reason.

My father had many muscles cut in his hand from a workshop accident that required surgery and a few years of physical therapy. Needless to say he easily a crossbow hunting license.

Also I'm sure some people hunt on their own private property.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts