AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently sighted in my retro AR. This was a Gunthings A1 kit, with the installed front sight. You can see how far I had to crank the rear sight to get the windage right. It fired way to the left. What's the issue? Is this a sign the front sight is canted? Should I leave it be or am I being too anal?

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Seems to me the front sight must be misaligned.

I'm thinking that kit is GI parts with a new barrel included. If that is correct, someone didn't take care while installing the original FSB onto the new barrel. That's a reasonable guess I think.

To add, it may shoot fine as is. And it may be good to go for some people. But for me if prefer as little offset as possible on rear sight positions. Good symmetry in a sight picture is important to me because of my aging eyes. All sight pictures are blurry to one degree or another for me, depending on lighting conditions. So symmetry helps me considerably.

· Registered
1,249 Posts
Fury_58 said:
I recently sighted in my retro AR. This was a Gunthings A1 kit, with the installed front sight. You can see how far I had to crank the rear sight to get the windage right. It fired way to the left. What's the issue? Is this a sign the front sight is canted? Should I leave it be or am I being too anal?

Looks to me like the timing is a little off between the barrel and barrel extenion
(chamber piece). If not, what type of play do you have when the complete barrel is installed into the upper where the pin catches ? The barrel assy should require just a little force for a good fit.

If the barrel and extention timing is correct, sometimes parts are the problem due to manufacture differences.

· Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was the first barrel I installed into an upper so I don't have a frame of reference, but I installed it under the watchful eye of the FFL who transferred the lower to me, who is also a Colt certified armorer. The barrel seemed snug. It had to be wriggled into the upper, even with a little anti-seize on it. I blasted two clay pigeons off hand at 50yds with the first two shots after I sighted it in, so it seems to shoot pretty well.

I have seen pix of AK sight cant where it's visible to the naked eye. If this one is canted I can't really tell by the naked eye. Is this something ADCO would fix? Any suggestions?

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Here's the text from the gunthings site.

Colt M16A1 Parts Set with NEW US made barrel. Our kits have the sight bases mounted and barrels parkerized, this saves you time and money (sight base is original forged Colt, barrel is not Colt). All parts in photo are included, the kits do not include the disconnector. Original Colt marked 30 rd. mag, Colt sling and cleaning rod with brushes is included. Excellent - like new condition. The M16 the way Stoner meant it to be, with the light weight barrel profile so the weapon is light yet possesses plenty of firepower.

Since the front sight installation is not the original factory job, it is very reasonable to believe that is the problem.

It is even more likely to be the problem given that the new install is on an unfinished rifle kit.
I don't know how they verify alignment, but building the rifle and shooting it is one way.

· Registered
308 Posts
Just call Brad @ Gunthings, posting will not fix anythng. Brad is good people and will make it right, all you have to do is call him.

All of the products and kits I have bought, and my customers have bought from him have been nothing but top notch.

He will stand behind anything that he sells.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
bamaak said:
Seems to me the front sight must be misaligned.

I'm thinking that kit is GI parts with a new barrel included. If that is correct, someone didn't take care while installing the original FSB onto the new barrel. That's a reasonable guess I think.

This is my opinion as well. Your rear sight on an AR should not be that far off center for BZO.
The good news is that this should be a pretty easy fix.

· Premium Member
10,416 Posts
timkel1 said:
Check the barrel indexing pin. If its a split pin(i ran into this before) pull it and use a solid steel pin...The split pins will allow barrel movement when final torque is applied.
+1, if you have a solid pin already, check to see if the pin takes up the full slot on the bbl sleve. There is also a method for tightening the bbl nut to ensure a uniform fit.

· Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoa. I thought building AR's was easy. :confused:

I don't know what Gunthings can do for me--I don't have access to a vise or clamp to take the bbl back out. At this point I am ready to suck it up and send it to someone who can put it right and call it a lesson learned.

· Registered
230 Posts
Fury_58 said:
Whoa. I thought building AR's was easy. :confused:

I don't know what Gunthings can do for me--I don't have access to a vise or clamp to take the bbl back out. At this point I am ready to suck it up and send it to someone who can put it right and call it a lesson learned.
Give them a call, you never know.

· Registered
1,459 Posts
Take your hand guards off and look to see if your gas tube is straight.I believe you might have torqued the barrel off kilter some.You can back it off to straight.If anything,back off the barrel nut,straighten the barrel and re-tighten it.It's probably just a matter of redoing the torque sequence again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.