AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to downsize my collection and am throwing the idea around of getting out of 5.56 AKs. I own all of the variants of the SLR-106 rifles along with the milled variant. My main calibers are 5.45, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54R and I have a decent supply of ammo for each. On the other hand, I don't have a lot of 5.56 or 223 ammo, mainly steel cased. 5.56 ammo is expensive compared to 5.45 and I enjoy shooting my AK74s more. I don't see the benefit of have 2 rounds that are very similar and shoot roughly the same.

Really the only reason I have them is for my Bulgarian collection of AKs. They complete my collection and each one of them is an excellent shooter. I won't get out of 5.56 altogether since I am in the military and have a Colt 6920 to be familiar with the platform if I deploy again. I will probably be getting the new 20" Colt AR15-A4 too.

What would you do?

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Make sure you keep the 106FR, its a sweet gun, sell/trade the rest.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If I was doing the same downsizing with the same weapons, I would keep the milled varients since those are the only Bulgarian 5.56 rifles that are semi-auto versions of actual military rifles and sell the SLR 106 series

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Seems sensible to keep a pair of similar rifles in 5.56... (That's what I do with my AR's though they are rarely shot.. I too plan on this fandangled AR-15A4 for memories sake though.) You can take whatever else you have and turn it into a larger ammunition stockpile (see 5.56) for the other toys.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Owned a few 84S Norinco's over the years and parted with them all. They shot great, but I made money on all of them and the extra mags I had stashed. Now, meh, I have a Golani with Hebrew markings and four AR15's. With the AK platform, I prefer the 5.45, then the 7.62x39. I would sell them and either buy another AK74 or stock up on ammo. Relatively speaking, the 5.45 surplus is still cheap.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I own AR15's for nostalgia purposes. Same as my 1911's. Both weapons have served this country well but both weapons have shit reliability. However if I want weapons for SHTF, I'm talking long term SHTF- then I'll take an Arsenal 106FR and a Glock. Both are chambered in domestic calibers and both will run circles around their domestic counterparts. You won't be able to get very far with your ammo stash in a SHTF scenario so you better have weapons chambered in the most prevalent domestic calibers.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I own AR15's for nostalgia purposes. Same as my 1911's. Both weapons have served this country well but both weapons have shit reliability. However if I want weapons for SHTF, I'm talking long term SHTF- then I'll take an Arsenal 106FR and a Glock. Both are chambered in domestic calibers and both will run circles around their domestic counterparts. You won't be able to get very far with your ammo stash in a SHTF scenario so you better have weapons chambered in the most prevalent domestic calibers.

Good points, that is why if push comes to shove, I'll be taking my 30-30 lever gun and a 9mm.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Dumped my 5.56 AK's a while ago. My AK's are only original calibers now.

I have an AR for 5.56 shooting (if that ever becomes affordable again)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My personal collection is of the .223/5.56 nature. Almost everybody shoots .223/5.56. Surplus 5.45 will eventually run out and skyrocket in price. I don't see that with 5.56.

SLR106ur: wanted a krink, 5.45 is all corrosive except the new GT..,but it's at a higher price. .223/5.56 is an American round, will always be around, you can load special rounds/reload, and eats anything I feed it.
CONS: lack of ballistics out of a 12" 1:7 twist barrel(mines 12") compared to other calibers.

20" Saiga-M .223 for hunting, 1:9 twist, ca legal hunting

16" m4 spikes lower, ati upper 1:7 twist for hunting/range

18" FDE Tavor SAR 1:7 twist hunting tight areas/range

16" JSE Surplus 1:8 m4 chamber :( not wylde, match barrel, coyote rifle.

as you can see, I'm in it for the long haul with .223/5.56. However I have built myself an AKMSU-74 and am stockpiling my 5.45 as much as I can(only 1 tin so far). So I prefer to shoot what plentiful and stockpile what isn't or has a limited expectance. Between elections, rumors of surplus eventually drying up, and all the F*tards shooting up theaters and schools, ruining it for the rest of us, I want to get what surplus I can while I can wether it be 54r or 5.45. That's just me, ymmv. Plus my main range rounds are 12ga & x39 and have more fun shooting them.

so, IMO, if you have other 5.56 rifles, like an AR, keep one of the 5.56 ak's and sell the rest if you'd like to change up your collection. Think about what you want/have them for. Each one of mine has a purpose or reason.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I have so much 5.45 stockpiled that I need more rifles to shoot it with. Remember when AIM had scratch and dent tins damaged from the forklifts? Well you probably don't because some asshole in Ohio kept buying them all.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Honestly any of my guns in .223/5.56 are just range toys for me. I don't have enough good ammo and when 5.45 is a lot cheaper there is no way in hell I'm paying more for a round that is so similar. That's why I won't get into 308. I'm cheap :) Anyway, I might just keep them in the collection for now, but I rarely shoot them.

Also, I'm not worried about surplus ammo drying up for 5.45. While I didn't get the dented cans 7N6 bought, I should have enough surplus to last me quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have so much 5.45 stockpiled that I need more rifles to shoot it with. Remember when AIM had scratch and dent tins damaged from the forklifts? Well you probably don't because some asshole in Ohio kept buying them all.

With the name you have (7n6) I would hope so. Lol. I do remember the dented damaged tins...and yes that they vanished like POOF!...ahole....;) I kid.
Thanks for the input guys. Honestly any of my guns in .223/5.56 are just range toys for me. I don't have enough good ammo and when 5.45 is a lot cheaper there is no way in hell I'm paying more for a round that is so similar. That's why I won't get into 308. I'm cheap :) Anyway, I might just keep them in the collection for now, but I rarely shoot them.

Also, I'm not worried about surplus ammo drying up for 5.45. While I didn't get the dented cans 7N6 bought, I should have enough surplus to last me quite awhile.
i believe you are right. I am just paranoid and behind in the 5.45 game. Plus I can't even shoot my 5.45. Still no fsgb :( hopefully KVar will remedy that soon.

if I had to keep one though, it would probably be the milled ak. Those are top notch!

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts

I have multiple stacks of sealed tins arranged in dates of manfacturing order. I am with you on this 7....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have multiple stacks of sealed tins arranged in dates of manfacturing order. I am with you on this 7....:thumbsup:
Damn you TRAAK's! Damn you all to hell! That's where all the cheap 5.45 went!!!!!!!!!!!:frustration:

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
I'm trying to downsize my collection and am throwing the idea around of getting out of 5.56 AKs. I own all of the variants of the SLR-106 rifles along with the milled variant. My main calibers are 5.45, 7.62x39, and 7.62x54R and I have a decent supply of ammo for each. On the other hand, I don't have a lot of 5.56 or 223 ammo, mainly steel cased. 5.56 ammo is expensive compared to 5.45 and I enjoy shooting my AK74s more. I don't see the benefit of have 2 rounds that are very similar and shoot roughly the same.

Really the only reason I have them is for my Bulgarian collection of AKs. They complete my collection and each one of them is an excellent shooter. I won't get out of 5.56 altogether since I am in the military and have a Colt 6920 to be familiar with the platform if I deploy again. I will probably be getting the new 20" Colt AR15-A4 too.

What would you do?
The milled variant you have would be the one I kept. .223 was coming down in price, but now seems to have rebounded back up in price again..for who knows why. I only keep the AK's I
think will be sought after over time and trade/sell any others. Just do what keeps you interested in this great hobby and never look back with regrets. It is, after all, your money!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Im not a fan of the 5.56 AK. I have run into a few good deals over the years and almost bought a few but the mags are what stops me. I dont like commercial mags, even Bulgy. Maybe its just me but I hear commercial I think Tapco or some guy in E. Europe saying "dont worry about it Americans will buy it anyway". And the fact that mags never seem to be the same. Each country making their own version. If I did get a 223 AK I'd like the Yugo M95 underfolder that was imported a few years ago or the Norinco underfolder (with cheap mags).

I would sell all my 223 AKs and fund more 5.45 stuff. Sell or trade the ammo and guns

·
Registered
897 Posts
I too thought of ditching .223/5.56. But after going out for "one last shoot" of my Norinco 84S I fell in love again. I'd keep at least one in 5.56.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unless you have a metric ton of 5.45 laying around, I wouldn't be too quick to dump the 5.56 rifles. I did the opposite, dumped 5.45. Ammunition commonality. After all pretty much every military firearm you could ever want comes in a 5.56 variant. Sig, AR, galil, tavor, mini 14, ak-74, steyr, etc. If ammo becomes more scarce and/or expensive it would be nice to have a stockpile of 5.56 and be able to shoot eight different guns with it. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts