AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I got a DPMS Semi 308 with 24" Stainless heavy barrel. I finally got out to shoot today and was very impressed. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x side focus on it in an Armalite mount.

I shot about 10 rnds at 25 yrds to get in on paper. After that I shot 4 5 rnd groups at 100. There were 1.5" (first group with bipod which I took off), then 1", then 2 groups both around 3/4". All in all very impressive and I think 1/2" groups with GMM will be easy after I get settled in a bit.

No feed issues and a very soft shooter. I do need to ditch the A2 stock for something that will work better with a rear bag. The sling attachment was driving me crazy.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Good to hear she's working all right.

Are you thinking of putting a CAR type stock on there? Or just a shorter rifle stock like the UBR/Sully/A1?

I think someone on arfcom sells ar10 buffers that allow the use of standard CAR extensions.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't want a fancy stock. I just need something that works well with a rear bag.

I have an Ace on my 50 BMG. I may try that. With the Ace ARFX work on an AR-10?

The Magpul PRS is "Neato" but I would really prefer a simpler target style stock.

Here is a pic I found on the net of the same model. You can see the sling point is right where I put a squeeze bag.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
just remove the sling loop until you find a replacement stock :allright:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If the sling loop is interfering, I'd ditch it and install an A2 end plate if you still wanted to mount a sling. Midwest, GG&G, Daniel Defense make them.

·
Banned
360 Posts
I've had the exact same puppy for about a year now, have to say Im very impressed too. Do match reloading, I've gotten groups down to the 1/2" threshold (Lapua 155 Scenars). Even with a scope I only paid $220 for, it's easy as hell to make those 800+ yard precision shots. Why by a bolt when you can get an autoloader with damn near the same accuracy :grin:

The only negative thing I can say is not about the gun, its about Winchester 308 brass. Don't know if it's a recent development, but they seem to be using 15-20% less "brass" than their competition to make their 308 brass resulting in all kinds of problems for match & top-end reloading.

Another wicked combo is Hornady 110 Grain V-Max's loaded up to around 3100-3200 fps. It's amazing, and quite impressive what those do to "varmits", plus they are about the only real varmiter round I have that can shoot up to 800 yards without going subsonic.

If I remember, you can't just ditch the rear sling without putting something in its place as its what the buttplate screw threads into. It's been quite awhile since I took everything apart though.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
DPMS .308's use the original AR10/SR25 mag design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
in my AR15 i could just remove the sling loop (yes i have done this) but it is an OLD armalite.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts