AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I can't say I'm impressed. I read that some people say it is undeserving of its poor reputation, but I say it got one for a reason. I would say of all the WWII main battle rifles I have, it is the worst thus far (I'm still going to do more testing with different ammo, etc.).

I had a M1891/41 long rifle and a M1891/28 TS carbine with me. Both of these were in issued but better than good condition, not BFPUs by any means. However, the actions on both were pretty rough even with a good coat of lube on there. On both rifles, the stripper clips would get hung up on the last round causing the bolt to push the entire clip forward, wedging it in the magazine. I had to use my multi tool to pry it back towards me and it took about 10+ minutes. Yeah, I wanna do that under fire. I'm not sure if it was because I was using after market clips or what. I got them from Liberty Tree Collectors and they have authentic period items, or at least quality reproductions. Also, the clips do not drop free very easily without help.

Neither rifle was very accurate. Ammo used was Serbian PPU. I only had the target at 50 yds just to see where they printed. Both shot very high, which I think is normal for most WWII rifles since the lowest setting is at 300 meters or more. The issue was the groups weren't tight at all. Maybe it was me not being used to the sights yet, having fired these for the first time. Interestingly, the carbine was more accurate than the long rifle. At my range, there is a giant (I mean it's so big you could hit it with a handgun if you really take your time) steel disc at about 300 yds and the carbine can hit it holding POA. The rifle however was still extremely high even at that distance. I had to pretty much aim at the ground in order to hit the disc with the rifle.

I'll definitely keep them for the collection, but I don't see these rifles being any good without handloads (I don't reload) and mods.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Good write up. I've always wondered how they shot.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello FWIW Undersized bullets could account for the poor groups. Most of the new production ammo available for 6.5 Carcano uses undersized bullets. The carcano 6.5 mm is smaller than what is normally thought of as a 6.5. The PPU ammo I believe uses .264 diameter bullets but the originals are .267. My understanding is that Hornady does offer bullets that are the correct size.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello FWIW Undersized bullets could account for the poor groups. Most of the new production ammo available for 6.5 Carcano uses undersized bullets. The carcano 6.5 mm is smaller than what is normally thought of as a 6.5. The PPU ammo I believe uses .264 diameter bullets but the originals are .267. My understanding is that Hornady does offer bullets that are the correct size.
Yeah unfortunately there isn't much in the way of factory ammo for these rifles. Same goes for the Arisakas. It's Norma or PPU it seems, when they are available.
I have seen people post good groups on surplus rifle forum for these, but it doesn't count when you are using hand loads. Battle rifles in good condition should be reasonably accurate using any factory ammo.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
You might try and a box or two of original ammo, then try it again and see how it does. I've never shot one, but have always heard they were not that good overall.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
During the old original Second Chance shoots 8 of the top 10 snipers in the US then tried to duplicate Oswald's feat of getting 3 aimed shots off in 6 seconds with one on a STATIONARY target. It could NOT be done. Convinced me then and there that there had to be a second gunman involved.

This was tried for three years in a row, and has NEVER been accomplished.

Fun guns to play with, but like most Italian and French rifles their main use should be to have something to surrender! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts