AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my case rupture on my AK I was shooting left handed with the gas port turned off. The rifle didn't cycle. Had I had to gas port been open, would I of been peppered with hot burning powder being that I shoot left handed? Should I rethink using reloads in an AK while shooting left handed or do I not have to worry about getting a face full of burning powder?

·
Banned
950 Posts
When I had my case rupture on my AK I was shooting left handed with the gas port turned off. The rifle didn't cycle. Had I had to gas port been open, would I of been peppered with hot burning powder being that I shoot left handed? Should I rethink using reloads in an AK while shooting left handed or do I not have to worry about getting a face full of burning powder?

You would have been killed instantly. The bolt and carrier would have lodged in your forehead and the unburnt powder would have engulfed you in flames. Instead, because the gas port was closed, the unburnt powder merely sucked all the oxygen from the atmosphere causing you brain damage and costing you some analytical thinking skills.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would have been killed instantly. The bolt and carrier would have lodged in your forehead and the unburnt powder would have engulfed you in flames. Instead, because the gas port was closed, the unburnt powder merely sucked all the oxygen from the atmosphere causing you brain damage and costing you some analytical thinking skills.

WOW, thank you:rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Uh... wear safety glasses?

·
Registered
17 Posts
More help please, I read this post about ruptured cases, blown bolts, closed gas port....etc. I own a Zastava OPAP AK, put about 500 trouble free rounds through it, I know nothing about closing the gas port and why? And I don't use reloads and I shoot from both sides of the gun, but more comfortable left handed. Is there a need for me to worry about any of this???

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
The PAP series do not have gas shutoff capability by default as they have standard gas blocks.

Shutting off the gas makes no real difference - you either get a kaboom or you don't. In the OP's case, it's possible he had a double charged round or an out of spec round and it possibly fired out of battery, thus causing the case to rupture. Wear proper hearing and eye protection at all times; that's the best you can do.

ETA: There is a reason why the G98, K98, and other Mauser based bolt guns had the ring just behind the bolt handle. Despite being repeaters, there was still a chance of ruptured cases and/or pierced primers venting gas out the rear of the action. That ring was intended to vent those gases out to the side.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was shooting 23.8 g of H335. Max is 24. There is not much more room in the case for a double load.

The place I bought the "once fire" cases may of not sold ma a "once fired" case. When I was trading in some worn 223/5.56 cases they put them aside for to re-manufacturer them. I don't buy "once fired" cases anymore as you have no idea how many times the case has been "once fired".

Talked to a guy that knew of a problem with LC brass being fired from SAW rifles with excessive headspace. The cases would split just like mine did.

I will never know what the cause was but I did get rid of all the cases that I got from the vendor except for some that were primed. I will load them at min load data and recycle the cases after that. I have shot several hundred of there cases in the past with no problem but would rather load my own "once fired" cases as I know how many times it has been "once fired".

With my gas port closed, the chamber didn't open from the recoil. IF I had it open (like on most AK's), wouldn't the bolt cycle and open before the bullet left the muzzle? OR is the bullet past the muzzle before the action opens? This is what I would like to know and reason for question.

If all that happens, when you get a case separation, is you get a stuck broken case, then I need not get ride of my hundreds of cases. If there is a chance of bodily harm, I will just get rid of the cases and buy new ones.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
If the gas port was open with a ruptured case then I'd think it'd not make much of a difference; you've already got gas venting out the case and by default gas will come back through the piston will reduce the pressure rather than increase it.

I would check the case dimensions of the fired vs unfired rounds to get an idea of how much stress is being put on the cases before canning them all. They may be safe to use in rifles with tighter tolerances.

ETA: What brand are the cases? If they're Winchester then I'd argue that the brass may be too thin for more than a couple uses.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
249'd brass is probably a good guess though I'm not exactly sure how you'd be able to tell. Do any of the other fired cases show signs of overpressure?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Non of the cases showed signs of over pressure. I have 2 rounds left of the lot had the separation.

There are some WCC cases. Is that the Winchester that is thin?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
WCC is Winchester so that's affirm. I'd be extremely suspect of the brass over the firearm in this case given that the brass is an unknown quantity.

For your original question I don't see any more potential for harm shooting right or left handed. Gas can still escape through the left side of the firearm as well as the right.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I was shooting 23.8 g of H335. Max is 24. There is not much more room in the case for a double load.

The place I bought the "once fire" cases may of not sold ma a "once fired" case. When I was trading in some worn 223/5.56 cases they put them aside for to re-manufacturer them. I don't buy "once fired" cases anymore as you have no idea how many times the case has been "once fired".

Talked to a guy that knew of a problem with LC brass being fired from SAW rifles with excessive headspace. The cases would split just like mine did.

I will never know what the cause was but I did get rid of all the cases that I got from the vendor except for some that were primed. I will load them at min load data and recycle the cases after that. I have shot several hundred of there cases in the past with no problem but would rather load my own "once fired" cases as I know how many times it has been "once fired".

With my gas port closed, the chamber didn't open from the recoil. IF I had it open (like on most AK's), wouldn't the bolt cycle and open before the bullet left the muzzle? OR is the bullet past the muzzle before the action opens? This is what I would like to know and reason for question.

If all that happens, when you get a case separation, is you get a stuck broken case, then I need not get ride of my hundreds of cases. If there is a chance of bodily harm, I will just get rid of the cases and buy new ones.
What 5.56 AK are you shooting that has a gas shut off? ( Sig 556 maybe? )

What weight bullet? H335 has a max of 25.3-25.5 with a 55 grain depending on what book you read...saw one that said 27 (!!!!)

Im running 25 grains of H335 behind some cheap ass Armscorp 55gr fmj in total mixed bag range pick up brass, so far no problems....knock on wood....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was loading 23.8 g of H335 with 68g Hornady bullet. It is max for the Hornady 7th manual under Service rifle. Hodgdon site show 24g. Speer #14 show 24.5g for 70g bullet.

Rifle is a Yugo M95 223/5.56 AK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts