AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good friend in California and he is interested in a mini-14 I have. He is looking into FFL's on his end to handle the transfer. Is there anything special on my end I need to worry about? I suppose I will ship from my FFL to be safe but with all the "no sales to California" remarks on GB and the likes I am a little concerned. I live in Missouri if that matters, a great gun state by the way. Just wanna CMA and wondering if any Cali guys can chime in on this. Thanks!
By the way it is a standard fixed stock mini 14 with no bells and whistles except a 20 rounder I know is a no go and a scope.

· Registered
227 Posts
I wouldn't ship anything gun related to CA... Thats just me.

· Registered
10,303 Posts
FFLs have to jump through hoops.

A private person does not.

As long as he finds an FFL willing to accept, it is no different then shipping it to Texas, provided it is a CA legal firearm.. A Standard mini 14 meets that.

As for "dont ship anything to CA", "Move", etc.. There are plenty of other reasons to move from CA, but 2 hours of shooting fun a month are not always high on people's mind....

· Registered
1,871 Posts
not for certain but i think the mini 14 can be shipped to ca, the one thing that makes me uncertain is the ability to take standard capacity mags instead of being limited to 10 round or less reduced capacity mags, but i think the ca leagle ar's are able to accept standard mags so your probably in the clear

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good info. I am pretty sure the standard mini 14 is GTG but I made sure to let him him know to get all his ducks in a row on his end. I lived there for 10 years (San Diego) about 9 years ago but I'm sure theres been some changes. Always thought about maybe going back in the future but I think Arizona is the closest I'd go now.

· Registered
4,548 Posts
Stottman said:

As long as he finds an FFL willing to accept, it is no different then shipping it to Texas, provided it is a CA legal firearm.. A Standard mini 14 meets that.

As for "dont ship anything to CA", "Move", etc.. There are plenty of other reasons to move from CA, but 2 hours of shooting fun a month are not always high on people's mind....
2 hours of shooting a month?

· Registered
308 Posts
As an FFL (07) we ship to California all the time, you just have to follow their specific laws.

First, the firearm cannot be on the ban list, just go to http://www.calguns.net and pull up their flowchart and supplemental information to verify it is not. If unsure call the California DOJ to make sure (example a Maddi Ak-47 is on the ban list, a Romy "G" is not). In this case the Ruger is not.

Second, have the buyer must find an FFL in California that will do the transfer, many will and many won't (if they turn their back on you you should know their answer). We ship to FFL's from San Diego to Sacramento.

Third, once they firnd an FFL, the shipping FFL must obtain the 5 digit Cailfornia DOJ registartion number from the receiving FFL so the shipping FFL can go online to the California DOJ's CFLC (California Firearms License Check) website and enter the information to obtain an "Authority to Ship" document, print a copy to attach to the outside of the shipment. This law went into effect on July 1, 2008.

The shipping FFL must already be registrated with the California DOJ, this is done online and takes about 5 minutes. To enter the data to get the "Authority to Ship" takes about two munutes including the time to print the copy.

Fourth, Attach a copy of the "authority to Ship" on the outside of the box in a packing slip or the rceiving FFL cannot receive the shipment. Also, encloes a copy of your FFL in the shipment unless you have made several shipments to the receiving FFL to avoid any delays.

Fifth, you cannot ship high capacity magazines (beyond 10 rounds) to California, you can however, at tihs time ship a magazine "Kit" ( merely a disassembled magazine) until such time a "Kit" is banned. Most Californians have a number of way to limit the capacity of a 30 round magazine to only accept 10 rounds by using silicone plugs, epoxied rods, wood rods, etc, these are usually refered to as 10/30 magazines. They have to look of a 30 round magazine however, only hold 10 rounds.

Note, An individual cannot legally ship a firearm to an FFL in California because the receiving FFL needs a DOJ "Authority to Ship" document and in order to generate this document you must have an FFL to become registered online with the CFLC website.

This has been our experience with shipping to California and our attempt to follow the "Letter of The Law, not the "Spirit of he Law" the best we can. However, if you want to take the safest route, use the old saying "When In Doubt, Don't".

· Registered
832 Posts
Thank you for your support. An individual can ship to a CA FFL. The CFLC is for Dealer to Dealer.

I have it done all the time. FFL in CA just has to accept from a private person, usually with a copy of their ID with the gun.

· Registered
227 Posts
1969Mach1 said:
fullmedaljacket8 said:
I wouldn't ship anything gun related to CA... Thats just me.
Mmm K.

I'll just thank everyone else for their support. Thanks.

And to address those GB "No CA sales" sellers.......they're enforcing laws that don't exist. Thanks a lot. :roll:
Cool thank them. Way too many hippy laws to keep up with.

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again just want to thank everyone for their input. Especially Gary at Overland, by the way I wil be contacting you shortly about another build. I spoke to my friend who found an FFL willing to do the transfer ($95 ouch!) and he got me squared away. I'll just add living in Cali was awsome, and desert shooting is blast. Imperial valley was kinda fun to, salton sea area, but damn hot. I did learn the waiting period is now ten days for any gun, when I turned 21 and bought my first pistol out there it was 21 days. Thanks again and I want to add this is a good budy that just got into shooting from an old 12 ga his father in law gave him. He has been gun shopping and cant afford the high end ARs or AKs so I am gonna hook him up with this mini 14 to keep him hooked and another gun guy voting in California.

PS: I miss the hell out of Robertos and the likes :sad:

· Registered
10,303 Posts
mojo100 said:
Stottman said:

2 hours of shooting a month?
Yes. 360 rounds of centerfire ammo from an Assault rifle, aimed fire on a range = about two hours provided I have the range to myself.

There are plenty of FFLs in CA that will receive from individuals. Its my understanding the FFL check only occurs FFL - FFL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.