AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been after one of these for a long time, and finally snagged a good one. This one looks to have been arsenal refurbished at some point, then greased for storage. Its stamped matching on the receiver, bolt carrier, stock, and kicker, and the bolt was electro-penciled, but can barely be seen. The gas system, and barrel are in un-believable shape, and the stock is not cracked anywhere. This one is not import marked, and considering that I removed very old cosmoline from it, there is a good possibility this rifle came back from Grenada in the early 1980s, but there is no way to know for sure without a DD-603.
The test fire went well, but I found that 2 of my mags had slightly bent feedlips. One of them was a quick fix, but the other will require a little more finesse with a small anvil and hammer to tap it back. I actually have a complete and correct cleaning kit for this, but I can't get all three rods into the stock. The scraper tool is awesome, and makes cleaning the piston a snap.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wow thats cool its like a Czech sks neat rifle man

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The rifle is in the original caliber 7.62x45 which has all but fried up, but I recently scored a lot of it. Next up is an accuracy test at 100, and 300M.
I'd love to find some original dummy rounds for this, so if anyone knows where I can get some, please let me know.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
I've been looking for a 52/57 for a few years now. I have a 52 that looks identical to yours.

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
Nice Vz52 you scored. The old nickel plate projectile brass cased ammo is nice as well. Finding the ammo can be as rough as the firearm sometimes. They are generally great shooters.
I know the old saying about "mildly or highly corrosive primers. My experience is the Czech s really rough and a quick and very thorough cleaning is well advised.
The cleaning kits are a PITA to get into the stock. Once in there it is best to leave it alone. :)

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking for a 52/57 for a few years now. I have a 52 that looks identical to yours.
They are out there, but expensive if you can find one because of the common caliber. I'd be interested to know how your bolt is marked with the serial number. Mine is electro-penciled but very faint, and not matching, but is proceeded by a stamped "1". Its just a guess on my part, but I think the bolt was replaced during the refurbishment.

Do you have one of the CAI rifles imported in the late 80s, early 90s?

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AKBlue, I can everything in the stock except 2 of the cleaning rods, the jag and patch holder. Without widening the hole, I just see how its possible to get it all in there without hammering the oil bottle, and if you did this, it would never come out again.

I wonder if its possible the wood slightly swelled making the hole somewhat smaller. Considering the original batch of these came from Central America, and a small number as bringbacks from Grenada, I would think its possible.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Is there a version or conversion of this rifle in 7.62x39?

·
Technical Advisor
15,343 Posts
AKBlue, I can everything in the stock except 2 of the cleaning rods, the jag and patch holder. Without widening the hole, I just see how its possible to get it all in there without hammering the oil bottle, and if you did this, it would never come out again.

I wonder if its possible the wood slightly swelled making the hole somewhat smaller. Considering the original batch of these came from Central America, and a small number as bringbacks from Grenada, I would think its possible.
My bolt is stamped matching to the receiver as FYI.. I'm not going to remove the cleaning stuff to see how it is installed and I do not remember how it went in but recall a struggle. I think it is all in there? :)
Many/all of the unmarked Vz52's came into the USA as sneak imports via Canada in the 1980'S. Non import marked., and where they came from before that I duno. But at the time., I thought from the Cezch Republic. Most were in very good to excellent condition. Not cheap even back then at $200 IIRC. Uncommon firearms.
I recall buying mine from a fellow who got them via Canada and he was a native Czech origin guy. We always called in "the bad Czech" as a joke.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Beautiful rifle!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
There aren't enough threads about this gun!

Nice rifle Joe, and nice early ammo for it too!
The ammo I have is in an aqua colored box, the rounds are copper washed bullets with steel cases.
I'd like to see your cleaning kit.

Mine:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The very rare Vz52/57 is in 7.62x39.
Many years ago a company was selling chamber inserts for Vz52's that you had to glue in with Loc-tight. From what I have read the inserts had a habit or being pulled out by a spent case despite the loc-tight and being lost.

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes...the VZ52/57 Not common to see, and expensive when found.

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bolt is stamped matching to the receiver as FYI.. I'm not going to remove the cleaning stuff to see how it is installed and I do not remember how it went in but recall a struggle. I think it is all in there? :)
Many/all of the unmarked Vz52's came into the use as sneak imports via Canada in the 1980'S. Non import marked., and where they came from before that I duno. But at the time., I thought from the Cezch Republic. Most were in very good to excellent condition. Not cheap even back then at $200 IIRC. Uncommon firearms.
I recall buying mine from a fellow who got them via Canada and he was a native Czech origin guy. We always called in "the bad Czech" as a joke.
Great info about the Canadian sneaks...I've not heard that one before.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I remember this gun in Cuba, we used to call it "La Cheqa" or The Czech.
That ammo is way more powerful than x39 ammo.

·
Super Moderator
25,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remember this gun in Cuba, we used to call it "La Cheqa" or The Czech.
That ammo is way more powerful than x39 ammo.
My understanding is that many of these rifles made their way to Cuba for the revolution. It would be interesting to see what will happen when Castro dies, and Cuba opens up again to the west. We might have access to SHE ammo, rifles and parts.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I seem to recall seeing reloading and case forming dies for them some where? Cool little gun, I had a couple of the Century Import ones years back.

Old Sarge

·
Registered
951 Posts
The very rare Vz52/57 is in 7.62x39.
Many years ago a company was selling chamber inserts for Vz52's that you had to glue in with Loc-tight. From what I have read the inserts had a habit or being pulled out by a spent case despite the loc-tight and being lost.

That's not surprising. Even the red loctite comes loose at a high enough temperature, and what better way to generate super high temperatures than burning a bunch of gunpowder less than a millimeter away?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts