AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know what the purpose is of shaving the rear mag catch?

i have some mags like this that seem to feed fine on some of my rifles and not others. the ones in question are east german bakelite.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
There was a member here selling these awhile back. The shaved mag catch was done so these mags could possibly work in Valmet rifles. You are lucky if some work in your 74..I had some and none would run in any of my 74 rifles..I had to sell them..

You could check the group buy forum..That is where the E. German 74 modified mags where sold.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
there was also another member here who was doing a little welding/adding a litte more metal to the mag cacth tab to bring them back to their original state. You might try and do a search on the topic...

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
my Tantal takes unmodified E. Germans - and every other unmodified 74 mag I've tried with it (russian, bulgarian, polish).

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
seth said:
is it correct that this shaving is necessary for tantal feed geometry?
To my knowlege you should'nt have to have any type of modification done to make a E.German 74 mag work in a Tantal. Should be fine

I think because back in the day E.German 74 mags were so cheap people were trying to modify them to work in Valmets and Galil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts