AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm generally curious about opinions on the VSKA. Educated opinions based on real world experience with the rifle, not opinions based on the horror that was the RAS47. I only ask because I actually saw one in stock at one of our local stores for what seemed a cheap price given the current climate. I'm wondering if it would be worth it as plink gun.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
think about it this way:
scenario 1: the gun might be OK so your money will be well spend.
scenario 2: gun is not OK and not safe to shoot nor possible to repair. your money will be lost forever and gun is a useless very expensive paperweight.
scenario 3. gun is not OK but can be repaired, i.e. re-headspacing/swapping the barrel, swapping bolt and/or carrier, modifying receiver, etc. This is extra expense just for parts alone even if you do all work yourself and don't need to pay a smith. will it still be worth it when you adjust discounted price for those expenses and and the headache, that potentially can last for months?

are you willing to take a gamble with your cash on something made by Century?
i wouldn't.

if you are just looking for a decent shooter AK and don't care milled vs stamped, then PSA makes a wonderful rifle for a reasonable asking price.
why take risk with a company very well known for shitty quality and terrible customer service? are bargain price really that good?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
think about it this way:
scenario 2: gun is not OK and not safe to shoot nor possible to repair. your money will be lost forever and gun is a useless very expensive paperweight.
scenario 3. gun is not OK but can be repaired, i.e. re-headspacing/swapping the barrel, swapping bolt and/or carrier, modifying receiver, etc. This is extra expense just for parts alone even if you do all work yourself and don't need to pay a smith. will it still be worth it when you adjust discounted price for those expenses and and the headache, that potentially can last for months?

i wouldn't.

if you are just looking for a decent shooter AK and don't care milled vs stamped, then PSA makes a wonderful rifle for a reasonable asking price.
why take risk with a company very well known for shitty quality and terrible customer service? are bargain price really that good?
All good points, but are those points given based on personal hands on experience with the VSKA rifle or the RAS47? I understand Century Arms has earned the hate with the failure that was the RAS47 and it's C39 rifles. But let's also remember that PSA is hated by many as well, especially in the AR world. I'm not saying I would trust a Century Arms with my life.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have no personal experience with century built AKs. however being pretty active on gun boards i've seen a number of threads by folks that found themselves in a predicament after buying these. these actually show up with some regularity. with that being said, however, i'm sure perception here is askew somewhat. since many folks who got a working gun never showed up and complained about it, all we see on here are negative input only. there are some horror stories you can find on youtube from reputable folks as well as average Joe Nobody. same caveat applies to those however.
something else to consider is the fact that unlike AKF this forum is less of an average AK owner and more of a AK collector/connoisseur type of gathering. probably not the best crowd to source statistic data on century products. also active membership base is not that big here as some other places. you probably better off asking at the place like gunboards, or other more generalized gun forums with more folks and less AK aficionados.

·
Registered
821 Posts
think about it this way:

i wouldn't.

All good points. One thing to consider is that a lot of the good AK gunsmiths won't work on Century built AKs, especially with regards to headspacing issues.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Just my opinion but look for something else. If I was buying, a Century build would not be on my list of things to look at. To many issues from build quality, out of spec, nonstandard parts and spotty customer service. The web is full of crappy Century problem posts.

As mentioned maybe find a Wasr or hunt your local shops, classifieds and online for sale forums for pretty much any AK other than a Century build. People seem to like Atlantic Firearm's builds. You could see if they have anything in stock. K-USA's KR-103 looks good too. If it was my first AK or just a shooter I would take the gamble on a PSA AK over a Century build any day. I have never had issues with PSA products. Probably not the best time to be buying but I bet you can find something. While you are looking I'd be trying to find deals on ammo and mags if that is possible anymore.

If you do end up with Century build your next few posts will be the predictable spin the wheel of Century owners problems and frustrations.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Century made AK's have a well deserved reputation for being shit. After the problems with the RAS47, I trust a Century made AK about as much as I trust IO. Not at all.

The only reason to buy one of these Century Arms catastrophies waiting to happen, is to resell to gullible left wing morons who waited until the 2020 panics to decide guns are good to have. For a steep markup.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, I want to say thank you for everyone's feedback. I actually have a WASR 10/63, manufactured in '84. I was just generally curious as the VSKA that I saw was tagged for $480. I would never trust my life with any Century product outside of a WASR, more for a fuck around rifle than anything else. Rifles locally are so rare right now that seeing something in stock was a surprise. I'm actually hoping to get my hands on an PSA AK-103 or maybe a Lee Armory AKM if I ever see one in stock again.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Think about it like this. There is a reason that even in this climate it's still listed for $480. Even so, it is surprising that it still hasn't been snapped up or posted online for twice as much(it would sell too).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
An option would be an O-PAP or Z-PAP.

·
Registered
915 Posts
+1 On the Cugir built WASR. +2 on NPAP.
But I thought the VSKA was an ok option. It survived RobSki's video breakdown, didnt it?
Or do I remember wrong?
The VSKA was an improved version of the RAS which suffered from the soft internals and cheap $#!+ furniture like the C39s. These are all starter AKs good for an intro to the AK world.
The 5000 round torture test is probably 4200 rounds more than most are going to shoot. :)
Nothing is "cheap" anymore, for certain. And not everyone can plunk down $1-2000 for a rifle.
Even the mid-range ones seem to have their quirks. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
I've had decent luck w/the Cugir guns. But then I drive old beater vehicles too, being a bit mechanically inclined and liking to tinker.
I say buy it, and see what comes.
Keep us infirmed, uh, informed.

ROTO

·
Registered
14 Posts
How about Century marked receivers? I have seen some AKs that was built using Century receivers and possibly with some Century parts.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
+1 On the Cugir built WASR. +2 on NPAP.
But I thought the VSKA was an ok option. It survived RobSki's video breakdown, didnt it?
Or do I remember wrong?
The VSKA was an improved version of the RAS which suffered from the soft internals and cheap $#!+ furniture like the C39s. These are all starter AKs good for an intro to the AK world.
The 5000 round torture test is probably 4200 rounds more than most are going to shoot. :)
Nothing is "cheap" anymore, for certain. And not everyone can plunk down $1-2000 for a rifle.
Even the mid-range ones seem to have their quirks. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
I've had decent luck w/the Cugir guns. But then I drive old beater vehicles too, being a bit mechanically inclined and liking to tinker.
I say buy it, and see what comes.
Keep us infirmed, uh, informed.

ROTO
Sample size of 1. I remember James Yeager making some bold statements about how high quality the RAS47 was.

His VSKA failed so miserably he couldn't defend it. I believe mrgunsngear and Brandon Herrera also displayed a significant faileD example of the VSKA IIRC.

Guntubers aren't always the best source for whether or not a gun will be good, but when they find problems it's often telling.

·
Registered
821 Posts
How about Century marked receivers? I have seen some AKs that was built using Century receivers and possibly with some Century parts.

Was it produced by Century or imported by Century?
I personally don't trust anything produced by Century, but for importing they can only mess it up so much so that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was it produced by Century or imported by Century?
I personally don't trust anything produced by Century, but for importing they can only mess it up so much so that's not a big deal.
It was made by a ffl07 not Century, but it had century marked receiver.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts