AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a question. I'm going to Europe for a couple weeks and probably gonna hit some militaria shows. If I purchase a dewat AK or any other weapon and then cut it up for parts, can I send the various parts home throught USPS? I want to make sure before I drop any money and do something that will get me locked up. Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
To air on the side of caution, I always thought this could only be done by an importer, but I've had the same question for a while too. Also, what about if you bring the parts with you instead of mailing them. And I don't mean packed in a suitcase with clothes (TSA would have a field day if you did that; prepare for latex gloves), but in a sealed box in the plain's cargo hold. After all, they are just parts, but I'm sure there are regulations on this issue.

·
Registered
21,876 Posts
due to the barrel ban damn near anything coming in from overseas is verbotten.

if you send the parts to yourself without a barrel you might be able to get it to pass muster but I wouldnt expect it to pass customs.

long story short....you're f***ed and you're just j***ing off....

it sucks I know but them's the facts, man.

·
Banned
2,606 Posts
10Gauge said:
due to the barrel ban damn near anything coming in from overseas is verbotten.

if you send the parts to yourself without a barrel you might be able to get it to pass muster but I wouldnt expect it to pass customs.

long story short....you're f***ed and you're just j***ing off....

it sucks I know but them's the facts, man.
:doh: :doh: :doh:
I should have known... but what about stuff like mags or furniture?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Damn that sucks, good thing I asked. I guess I'll just have to spend the money on Beers and Brauts!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how can we get small AK parts shipped from Europe, like from Stephen Militaria? Why is that not a problem?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Have you seen the prices of the dewats? They are often more expensive than real working ones in the USA. The EU also changed the dewat requirements a few years ago. You used to have nearly an entire firearm under the old rules, now most internal parts like the bolt, carrier, gas piston etc are all chopped up as well. You really would only get the external parts like furniture and muzzle brake.

However I do believe you can send back parts that are under $100 if you want to without the import paperwork, at least that's what I've been told. Before you travel you should look it up yourself or talk to someone who would know the laws. Maybe ask an importer like Todd at ORF.

I would also recommend mailing them home instead of carrying them with you in your checked luggage. I've flown between Finland and England before and the airline removed legal to own gun parts from my checked luggage and wouldn't give them back.

Deros

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
As long as its de-milled correctly, I would think you should be able to mail it. I dont see how its any different than ordering items from over-seas vendors like russmilitary (sp?) or private parties for that matter, which people do with regularity.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
It isn't that bad...

Stottman brought back tons of AK kits, mostly Russian, by de-miling them from deacts he bought. I do not know the exact methods he used but, hopefully he will chime in on here.

Personally, I would just put it in the suitcase. As long as it is just parts (I.E. the bolt carrier, FSB, RSB, dust cover, or what have you) most people won't even know its gun related. Depending on the country you are leaving you may need to declare it, or they may not even think twice. With all the blow dryers/knives/personal crap and stuff that goes through I doubt it will get much attention. So long as it is under the $100 point, you do not need the import permit.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
There were some changes made in the laws related to firearm parts in carry on luggage. IIRC, under current US law, boarding a plane with firearms parts is the same offense as boarding a plane with a functional firearm, do not bring anything back in your carry on bag.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
buy a bunch of parts and send them home in a AIRSOFT box :grin:

dopes would probally never know the difference.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
actually, Stottman brought back many of his deacts, including several soviets, as parts kits without the receivers.

talk to him, he knows the ins and outs. long story short, those saying you can't do it are wrong, and have probably never been out of the country and tried.

Stottman actually has experience, and has been successful. Talk to him.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
jithaca said:
There were some changes made in the laws related to firearm parts in carry on luggage. IIRC, under current US law, boarding a plane with firearms parts is the same offense as boarding a plane with a functional firearm, do not bring anything back in your carry on bag.
Suitcases are checked baggage items... at least thats the way I do it. :confused:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
jithaca said:
Suitcases are checked baggage items... at least thats the way I do it. :confused:
I didn't say a thing about checked bagage, I just wanted everyone who reads this thread to know about the new rule for carry on baggage, nothing against your post Q.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I won't take it on the plane, you can't even have finger nail clippers. :neutral: I would send anything I got back through the mail, if I did get something. But the damn Euro to Dollar rate sucks!! I'll see what Stottman has to say. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
8,009 Posts
For anyone advising to put AK parts in a suitcase to bring them back to the US, they need to at least do some travelling through international airports lately before saying that. Put some seemingly harmless gun parts in a suitcase and go to an airport anywhere in Europe and see what happens. There are blowdryers and personal items that people put in their bags, checked or carry-on, but there is a process called "x-ray detection" in which bags are checked. Your gun parts will show up extremely well on the screen - if you've ever operated such a machine you'd know how well the smallest things show up and how well many of the operators are trained to know what the items are. Whether it's in checked baggage or not, that's not very good advice.

As a military service member stationed in Europe, you can have your household goods moved back to the US. You can have a lot of stuff such as the legally de-milled/de-activated rifles become "decorations." The stuff can be wrapped-up by you and packed by your movers over there, then it's sent to your next station wherever you wanted your household goods to go. That's fine.

However, that's a big difference compared to mailing a bunch of de-milled/de-activated rifles and rifle parts through the mail. Especially from Europe into the US. I would be reluctant to continue using member "Stottman's" situation as an example because it's really none of anyone's business and he was a military service member which makes it a different situation anyway. The fact is, there are probably a few ingenious ways to get your de-milled/de-activated rifle or its parts back to the US from Europe but it's a moot point because the BATFE and US Customs have stated it's not permitted without a ton of paperwork. Without going through the myriad legal process, anything else is basically attempts to skirt the law.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Let me put it this way, I was travelling from Germany to Sweden last year, and customs plucked me out of the boarding line because they found something odd in my luggage. I had to open my luggage and show them what the item was, turned out it was my 1P29 causing trouble. After a quick check what the item was I could continue on my way.
So they will definatly monitor your luggage very closely. :neutral:

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
I was returning to the US from overseas once with a bakelite grip in my pocket. The German customs folks asked me to remove all the metal from my pockets. i did so. My prostetic ankle set off the machine, but they verified that.

They asked me to take everything out of my pockets. I took everything out, leaving the grip. They asked again, rather sternly. Needless to say they freaked the fuck out. People came out of the woodwork like i had a nuke with me. They kept asking where the rest of the gun was. They just could not understand WHY i would have one piece of a gun and not the rest. Obviously I was lying to them. I just about missed my flight. Had i not been military, i probably would have been arrested.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts