AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which would you keep. Ammo not being a problem. I need to dump some guns so they all fit in the safe.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Get a bigger safe or sell what you think should be sold. If you you can choose which guns to buy then you can choose which to sell.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Break down the ARs and store the lowers in the safe. I just had to reorganize my safe so I could fit everything in there comfortably.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Break down the ARs and store the lowers in the safe. I just had to reorganize my safe so I could fit everything in there comfortably.

Not a bad idea. The AR's would fit if I wrangled them in them in there in pieces.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Yeah I keep my AR's broken down for storage, it definitely frees up some room. If I ever had to sell some rifles, my current production AR's would probably be first to go. I figure a current production, domestically produced, high demand rifle will be the easiest to replace down the road if I want it again versus something imported (assuming a ban doesn't make them all equally hard to get).

·
Registered
79 Posts
They're all great rifles, so I would simply just sell whichever you shoot the least. If you shoot them all equally than I agree that it's time for a bigger safe!

·
Banned
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're all great rifles, so I would simply just sell whichever you shoot the least. If you shoot them all equally than I agree that it's time for a bigger safe!

I don't shoot any of them. I buy stuff when I can get a good deal and let a few go to offset the cost. I have one plum SLR 105R that is just about the only rifle I shoot anymore. I have run the shit out of it for nearly ten years- still holds about 4MOA. One time took out the plum, hitting propane tanks at 400 meters using a 6x Russian optic but most of the time it's just banging steel under 200. It's kind of my go to gun, everything else is just "there" to fill the safe around that one plum 74. I figure one day when I get old, I'll leave behind a bunch of cool stuff for kids I don't have- at least my nephews will get some awesome toys. They'll probably need them I imagine.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I don't shoot any of them. I buy stuff when I can get a good deal and let a few go to offset the cost. I have one plum SLR 105R that is just about the only rifle I shoot anymore. I have run the shit out of it for nearly ten years- still holds about 4MOA. One time took out the plum, hitting propane tanks at 400 meters using a 6x Russian optic but most of the time it's just banging steel under 200. It's kind of my go to gun, everything else is just "there" to fill the safe around that one plum 74. I figure one day when I get old, I'll leave behind a bunch of cool stuff for kids I don't have- at least my nephews will get some awesome toys. They'll probably need them I imagine.

I've had the occasional troubling thought about what the point of having a huge collection of guns is myself. After all, a man can only carry or shoot so many guns on a range trip before the additional guns become more of a burden to haul around and clean than a source of enjoyment. Even if the SHTF, I have more guns to hand out than people who I'd trust enough to give 'em to (Don't be too impressed, I'm new to the area). Then there's the added expense of needing different mags, different calibers, etc.

That having been said, I can't see any likely scenario where guns lose their value in the long run. If you got a good price and aren't hard up for cash, keep 'em all. You can always pay a few hundred bucks and get a cheap safe from Walmart for some of your less valuable guns if space is really an issue. If there's ever another scare about new gun laws (and I can almost guarantee you that there will be), you'll be happy to have every last gun and round of ammo you've got, and be kicking yourself for not buying even more. If you still don't want them when that happens, go ahead and sell, and at least you'll have a nice, big pile of money.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
My first choice would be to get a bigger safe or make a safe room (reinforced doors, walls, ceiling, separate alarm system, etc.). If neither is an option, then I have a method that I use to determine if I should keep a gun. I ask myself if I would buy it now if I had the opportunity. If the answer is no, then I sell it. If in doubt, I keep it. I never sell a gun because I need the money. I have not missed one that I've sold yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sort of went through this last year. I had amassed 6 or so AKs (Krebs, Arsenal, Polytech, some kit guns) and 10 ARs; buying over the last 4 years or so. I wasn't a collector since I was just buying to have them and not looking for specific models, as long as they were quality. I sold all but 1 AR and 1 AK. Even having land and a place to shoot, I found myself shooting rifles maybe once a month or every other. I am a bit of a prepper mind in a sense that being 34, I'm afraid I will see hysteria of some kind in this country during my life.

In the end though what was I going to do with over a dozen non-collector grace rifles? I loved to take them out and hold them, share them with friends and talk about the details of craftsmanship on Noveske or yards yadda but...I don't know. Maybe it was a mistake; I shoot pistols more than anything since they fit my perceived self defense paradigm. I just like change and I haven't come across that perfect rifle that just feels part of me like my browning bl-22 from when I was a kid.

So, I was making changes for different reasons than you mention but I say go for it. Change it all up.

·
Registered
22,682 Posts
Sell them all and take up knitting...

DurrHurrFace.jpg

just kidding. get another safe.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Funny- no one mentions AUG's specifically..

being a Maadi owner I say keep the Maadi's!!
you could break the ar's down and store them until you could get better prices.

·
Registered
168 Posts

same here, I buy more than I shoot, keep em, buy a cheaper safe, throw the cheaper guns in that (I have a safe for my 22lrs and mosins) on craigslist there are many 250 safes good enough for low end guns

1 - 20 of 22 Posts