AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an SLR107-31 and it comes in Friday - like a kid in a candy store! I loved my milled one so much, I wanted its stamped brother. Pics to follow Friday :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Congrats man. I have a milled Arsenal as well and thought I'd be 100% satisfied with only one AK. I recently bought an SLR104, and now I've been eyeballing the SLR107.
Let us know how you like it compared to your milled. I may have to pull the trigger on one as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do!

Only other AK variant I may add is one chambered in 5.45 . . .

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Picked it up today - really like it! Fit and finish is fantastic. The gas tube fits snug, unlike my SAM7R. But the flash hider on the SLR has a bit of wobble to it. Not so much I think a round would hit it, but it has a little up and down play. It looks like the pin should sit further into the slot on the hider, but it's bottomed out. Normal?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like it. Going to shoot it next weekend and see if I can tell a difference from the milled SAM7R. It won't matter if I do or not lol. I love this thing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Very cool, I have another one (106cr) on the way, didn't really want a 223 ak, but the price was soooo cheap I had to!
Also If you really dont like the wobble, file the end of the break that touches the FSB until it indexes tighter. takes a few minutes with a file. I had one that was almost to the notch, so it was very loose. It didnt case an issue, but I guess the old "ar15 guy" in me comes out as I fix my canted sights and try to eliminate noise from my AKs. The same reason I add a 2" section of old bicycle inner tube around my OEM AK slings so it doesn't ring and chime around.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tip! Forgive the ignorance, but what part do I file?

I don't see it posing a functional issue, but I hate rattles as well.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I think he means to file the back end of the brake, so you can get another turn out of it and it fits snugll against the FSB.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw some write-ups on how to do it. I'll try it after I take it on its maiden range trip tomorrow.

I'm going to try a 50M zero tomorrow with the sights on 0 or P (depending what your rear sight lists). Then test it from 50-250M's on some steel silhouettes and see how it goes.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Put 400 rounds through it today. No issues, cycled just fine, no failures of any kind.

I have to say, I like this model better than my milled SAM7R. First, the factory sighting was dead on. I didn't have it make any adjustments from 100-300M's from their windage and elevation. Put the rear sight on the battle sight setting and proceeded to hit steel silhouettes at 100 and 200M's all day. 300 was a bit challenging. But I was impressed compared to my SAM7R that required a lot of windage adjustment out of the box.

I don't know if it's because this is a stamped receiver, or the muzzle brake, but felt recoil is less than the milled. I'm not going to trash the SAM7R, it's a damn fine rifle too. But this SLR107FR edges it out in my books.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I like the first pic showing both rifles together. You should convert one of them to OD Green. I'd do it to the SAM7R.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a good idea! I'll have to keep my eye out for an OD Green furniture kit.

For anyone on the fence about the SLR, I asked a few months back about the sidefolder, how durable it was, etc. I have to say, there is 0 wobble in it. In fact, it's fairly stiff and hard to fold the stock. So I wouldn't worry about that part of it. I wasn't necessarily in the market for a sidefolder, but I wanted a stamped Arsenal in 7.62x39, and there aren't a lot of choices now, so I went with this one.

Sweet shooter. And the muzzle brake does wonders.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Sweet man. I finally gave in and bought an SLR107-31 during the President's Day sale at K-Var. I will pick it up on Friday. I really hope I get a rifle with straight sights like you did.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sights have always been straight on my Arsenals, just have had to tweak elevation and windage slightly on them. This one, I didn't.

You'll love it - it's a sweet shooter for sure. I really like the weight savings vs the milled receiver.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Received mine a couple days ago. Canted front sight, ding in top cover, bolt carrier very difficult to remove from receiver. I'm pretty bummed. Hopefully K-Var will take care of me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Received mine a couple days ago. Canted front sight, ding in top cover, bolt carrier very difficult to remove from receiver. I'm pretty bummed. Hopefully K-Var will take care of me.
Sorry to hear that. I like the Arsenal build quality, but I've always hesitated buying one online, sight unseen, for that reason.

Let us know if they make it right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put 400 rounds through it today. No issues, cycled just fine, no failures of any kind.

I have to say, I like this model better than my milled SAM7R. First, the factory sighting was dead on. I didn't have it make any adjustments from 100-300M's from their windage and elevation. Put the rear sight on the battle sight setting and proceeded to hit steel silhouettes at 100 and 200M's all day. 300 was a bit challenging. But I was impressed compared to my SAM7R that required a lot of windage adjustment out of the box.

I don't know if it's because this is a stamped receiver, or the muzzle brake, but felt recoil is less than the milled. I'm not going to trash the SAM7R, it's a damn fine rifle too. But this SLR107FR edges it out in my books.
it's gotta be the brake....my milled polytech legend kicks pretty good (no brake)
yet my milled sam7 sf shoots really smooth

congrats on your new piece

1 - 20 of 25 Posts