AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a rifle I picked up on GB late last week, it is a 1933 Izhevsk SCW Transitional 91/30. It is your typical SCW mixmaster with the "made in the USSR" stamp on the reciever, has no matching S/N's to the barrel, and has the typical sanded stock ( off a 30's Tula 91/30). It has a rough bore and a ding in the crown of the barrel, but then again this one wasn't bought to be a shooter.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Looks like a nice one. Why did the Russians not slather the stock with shellac on this example?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JoeMomma said:
Looks like a nice one. Why did the Russians not slather the stock with shellac on this example?
Never went through a refurb, was shipped to Spain in 36/37 and that is where it stayed until imported in the late 50's. The importer stamp all the rifles either "Made in USSR / URRS" . This was long before it was required for reasons unkown

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Thanks. I thought all Russian rifles got a coating of shellac.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JoeMomma said:
Thanks. I thought all Russian rifles got a coating of shellac.

They did new, but it wasn't the same crappy shellac they applied during refurb.

·
Technical Advisor
15,522 Posts
I purchased an SCW rifle some years ago at a local Gun Show. Very inexpensive at < $70. A 1937 Tula.
It is in original condition with some finish intact etc. Stock matches year amd type of action. upper guard is copper tips. All numbers match except the bolt which is the same series but 6,000 off. Evidently they pulled the bolts and mixed them up at some point. Bore is quite nice. Cool old soldier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts