AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Florida most my life, I can't say I know too much about other states gun laws. However if a job plays out the way I want in the next year or so I might be relocating there. What can I expect if I bring the firearms, mostly the AK's and the Glock 19 I conceal carry?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
We currently have a conservative supermajority in the General Assembly. McAwful will try, but it is highly unlikely he can get anything through. We have an excellent grassroots gun rights organization. Virginia Citizens Defense League | Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself Sign up for the free email alerts at the website and it will keep you informed about any legal changes, upcoming gunshows, etc. Your email will not ever be sold or rented, and you won't get any requests for money.

the only firearm you couldn't bring into VA is the Streetsweeper as it is banned by name. Nothing is registered except full autos. All NFA goodies are legal except the aforementioned Streetsweeper. Everything else is fine. State preemption, so no localities can pass laws more stringent than state law. CHP's are shall issue. Open Carry does not require a permit.

What part of the state are you looking at?

·
Banned
950 Posts
In about two years Virginia will be like New York and Ohio will look like the free states of the former West that are now plagued with liberals. Ohio, more free than Virginia and Colorado- crazy town.

·
Registered
553 Posts
In about two years Virginia will be like New York and Ohio will look like the free states of the former West that are now plagued with liberals. Ohio, more free than Virginia and Colorado- crazy town

Wow, pretty harsh there- what makes you think it will get that bad, that fast?

·
Banned
950 Posts
In about two years Virginia will be like New York and Ohio will look like the free states of the former West that are now plagued with liberals. Ohio, more free than Virginia and Colorado- crazy town

Wow, pretty harsh there- what makes you think it will get that bad, that fast?

The new governor will make Cuomo's signed legislation look mild.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Wow, I had no idea Virginia is that gun friendly! Good for you guys!
Indiana is about the same, except no SBS, and have to have carry permit, regardless if you're carrying concealed or open.

I hope you keep the new governor at bay.

We currently have a conservative supermajority in the General Assembly. McAwful will try, but it is highly unlikely he can get anything through. We have an excellent grassroots gun rights organization. Virginia Citizens Defense League | Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself Sign up for the free email alerts at the website and it will keep you informed about any legal changes, upcoming gunshows, etc. Your email will not ever be sold or rented, and you won't get any requests for money.

the only firearm you couldn't bring into VA is the Streetsweeper as it is banned by name. Nothing is registered except full autos. All NFA goodies are legal except the aforementioned Streetsweeper. Everything else is fine. State preemption, so no localities can pass laws more stringent than state law. CHP's are shall issue. Open Carry does not require a permit.

What part of the state are you looking at?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Nothing is going to happen with McAwful. Zoom pretty much covered it, no extra restrictions on NFA goodies, open carry at will, shall issue concealed permits, no waiting periods, mag restrictions, any of that BS.

Langley is a shit hole, if there's nothing specific taking you to that area, I'd reconsider... if there is, I'd advise living as far from the city as you can.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Oh, and unlike Florida, you won't need to get printed for your CHP, and the maximum the county can charge is fifty bucks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh, and unlike Florida, you won't need to get printed for your CHP, and the maximum the county can charge is fifty bucks.
And being that open carry is all good... there's none of that "accidental exposure" crap either. List of places you can't carry in the state is pretty small... and most everything is obvious (courts, post office, bars IF you're drinking, schools... unless you have a permit, in which case you can have it in your vehicle if you're picking a kid up...

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
They have open carry which is nice at times. IIRC you can drink while you OC you just cant be drunk (under .08) similar to driving a car. Why you would want to or why its even legal to drink while carrying a firearm is beyond me.

Laws are pretty similar to FL laws as far as your long guns go.

They have a couple nice shops around the Hampton Roads area, they have a pretty good AK shop/builder also called Coastal Gun works. I think he is a member here but I dont know what his name is. He has all the good AK parts tools, receivers and some kits at the gun shows and is usually pretty reasonable with his prices.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Here's another one. You may have a handgun loaded in the vehicle without a permit as long as it is not concealed upon your person (OC OK). It can be sitting on the seat, in the console, glovebox or any "secured container" (note that the law does not say "locked") which would even include a briefcase or lunchbox.

There is a strong movement towards Constitutional carry. The new governor would likely not sign it, but just to pass it and put it on his desk would be a thumb in his eye. It took us multple years to get restaurant carry, but we have had great progress here. I urge all Virginia gun owners who can to join us in Richmond on Lobby Day in January to help keep pounding our message home to the legislators. There's nothing like being part of a group of 1000 or more at the Capitol (most carrying OC or CC) and this year we need to have our biggest turnout ever. Full details at the VCDL page.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Here's another one. You may have a handgun loaded in the vehicle without a permit as long as it is not concealed upon your person (OC OK). It can be sitting on the seat, in the console, glovebox or any "secured container" (note that the law does not say "locked") which would even include a briefcase or lunchbox.

There is a strong movement towards Constitutional carry. The new governor would likely not sign it, but just to pass it and put it on his desk would be a thumb in his eye. It took us multple years to get restaurant carry, but we have had great progress here. I urge all Virginia gun owners who can to join us in Richmond on Lobby Day in January to help keep pounding our message home to the legislators. There's nothing like being part of a group of 1000 or more at the Capitol (most carrying OC or CC) and this year we need to have our biggest turnout ever. Full details at the VCDL page.
Open carry is now allowed in Ok. anywhere on your own property without a permit. This along with the "Make My Day" law we have here gives us a comfortable margin to protect family and property.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Open carry is now allowed in Ok. anywhere on your own property without a permit. This along with the "Make My Day" law we have here gives us a comfortable margin to protect family and property.
The fact that that's not a given some places in this country is sickening... I know there are obviously a lot of non-gun-friendly states, but I figured that your own private property was free game just about everywhere.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
The fact that that's not a given some places in this country is sickening... I know there are obviously a lot of non-gun-friendly states, but I figured that your own private property was free game just about everywhere.
This was to give the city dwellers a cushion of safety from prosecution. Believe me, it's pretty laid back around here. Some of the goofiest gun nuts I know and shoot with are LEO's...and most love AK's

1 - 18 of 18 Posts