AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I GunBrokered a 223Rem Vepr and the winner lives in New Jersey. He has a good amount and all positive feedback, but I'm wondering about the "assault weapons" laws in New Jersey. The rifle I auctioned was converted to accept hicap magazines by Robinson Armament and has the required number of parts to be sec922r compliant. The thing is that I seem to remember seeing NJ compliant Veprs for sale, so I'm wondering if this Vepr is compliant. Please help me with what I need to know.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Nothing over 15 rounds, no muzzle devices, fixed stocks only. Those I know but there might be more

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Vepr has a muzzle brake that looks to be pinned on with allen head set screws.

The rifle was made in 2002 if that matters.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but since you'll be sending it to a FFL in NJ isn't it up to them to ensure it is NJ-compliant? I am sure they can do whatever modifications necessary, but since you are not a NJ resident you are not impacted by that state's laws. It is up to the buyer to ensure the firearm is compliant in his state or make arrangements to have it made so...

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but since you'll be sending it to a FFL in NJ isn't it up to them to ensure it is NJ-compliant?
Could be, but who's to say that the FFL even knows that the buyer purchased a rifle with a muzzle brake that would have to be made compliant? He might receive the package, open it up, get pissed that someone shipped him a non-compliant rifle, and then call the NJ state police. Sure most FFL's are cool, but I've heard of a few being complete jerks. I'm not trying to be paranoid, but nothing good can come from sending a non-compliant rifle and I have too much to lose, so I figure it has to be compliant when I send it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
So someone sent a non-complaint firearm, what are they going to do to you in Georgia? Their laws do not apply to you, all you have to worry about is Federal regulations. As long as you receive payment before shipping, you have nothing to lose

I know some California FFLs can make a weapon is state compliant when received, not sure if the same exists in NJ. The buyer should not have purchased the weapon without ensuring it is legal to own in his state, the onus is on him not you and if anyone has anything to lose, it is him.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So someone sent a non-complaint firearm, what are they going to do to you in Georgia?
Again, not trying to be paranoid, but if you ship something that's illegal to a state, city, whatever, they can prosecute you. That's why people who run those beer of the month clubs don't just ship everywhere. That's why dealers who sell "hicap" magazines don't ship to locations where they're illegal. Sure, they can't get me while I'm in Georgia, but they can issue a warrant for my arrest and grab me next time I fly in to New Jersey. The bottom line here is that I'm not even going to approach selling something that is illegal no matter how stupid the law is. Heck, I don't even know the guy (not that it would matter).

I would appreciate any insight that people can offer regarding the current laws. I know that earlier in the year there was a lot of talk about more restrictions in NJ, but I don't know what came of it.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Ummm...no they cannot. If you are not a resident you are outside of their jurisdiction and their laws do not apply to you.

If you are so concerned about it, contact the seller; and next time I would recommend noting in your ad that you won't ship to states where the firearm is considered illegal.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I would contact the FFL if you plan on going through with the sale. I'd trust his word over the buyers, as I doubt he'd risk his license/going to a NJ Gulag over the transaction. I would have excluded NJ from the auction though if it were my auction.

I've got some close friends in NJ who invited me to their gun club. They told me people bring their handguns from PA all the time and it wasn't a problem. I respectfully told them I wouldn't risk it. I talked to the range owner, and he basically told me it was very grey area and if I were caught, there would be no telling what the police would do. It may be legal, I really have no idea. But the actual law, and whatever the authorities decide is the law, are two very different things usually.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ummm...no they cannot. If you are not a resident you are outside of their jurisdiction and their laws do not apply to you.
If you ship something that is illegal somewhere to that somewhere then you've broken the law somewhere. There's a reason that vendors and individuals won't ship 30rd mags to NJ and it isn't because they want to help enforce the BS laws out of the goodness of their hearts. The point of this thread isn't to gather advice on whether I should ship something that is illegal in NJ to NJ. It's to determine exactly what is and what isn't illegal in NJ. Information in this regard is appreciated.

If you are so concerned about it, contact the seller
I'm trying to gather the facts before I do so I'll know what I'm talking about.

and next time I would recommend noting in your ad that you won't ship to states where the firearm is considered illegal.
Right in the text of my auction it says "This rifle is only available for sale where legal. If you're not sure, please find out prior to bidding."

·
Registered
4,889 Posts

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would contact the FFL if you plan on going through with the sale. I'd trust his word over the buyers, as I doubt he'd risk his license/going to a NJ Gulag over the transaction. I would have excluded NJ from the auction though if it were my auction.
I received a response on another forum from someone who lives in NJ that "No bayonet lug, no flash hider, no threaded barrel, no collapsible stock. If it doesn't have any of these features it is legal in NJ."

I talked with the auction winner. He seems very knowledgeable and is a member of this forum. He says that muzzle brakes are legal in NJ, but flash hiders are not. Once I get his FFL's info, I'll just give the FFL a call to confirm he's OK with the configuration. Assuming he is, then I'll ship it once the funds arrive.

BTW, I don't at all mind helping out those caught behind the lines and am perfecting willing to take extra steps necessary to help them. I just don't want to get caught up in any legal crap.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Bret,
I just talk to you on the phone, I won the rifle, the Vepr is perfectly legal in "current form". It can have a muzzle brake(pinned). They dont allow Flash hiders and bayonet lugs in our NJ.
I bought rifles that they had bayonet lugs in the past(some here) and the FFL would make the NJ compliant before i take delivery.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
pinned on with allen head set screws.
set screws don't count as "pinned", as they can be easily removed. Generally it is referring to a blind pin, which is inserted in a hole that doesn't go all the way through, and then is welded in place.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I received a response on another forum from someone who lives in NJ that "No bayonet lug, no flash hider, no threaded barrel, no collapsible stock. If it doesn't have any of these features it is legal in NJ."

I talked with the auction winner. He seems very knowledgeable and is a member of this forum. He says that muzzle brakes are legal in NJ, but flash hiders are not. Once I get his FFL's info, I'll just give the FFL a call to confirm he's OK with the configuration. Assuming he is, then I'll ship it once the funds arrive.

BTW, I don't at all mind helping out those caught behind the lines and am perfecting willing to take extra steps necessary to help them. I just don't want to get caught up in any legal crap.
Sounds like a good plan.

I've been scared off helping those behind enemy lines largely because of the links I posted, even though I certainly am not a dealer. My friends from NJ, NY, and CA always have an open invitation though to shoot my SBRs, AKs, etc whenever they visit PA for sure. I'm trying to organize an AK shoot in Philly sometime soon too that NJ members are more than welcome to attend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts