AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im itching to buy a new rifle and with my tax refund now is an opportune time to do it. I have been debating between the Scar 16s, ACR Enhanced, and Tavor. Ive been trying to read up on the 3 as much as i can but reading isnt the same as hands on experience. I have held a Scar and ACR and loved how both felt ergonomically but i have never held a Tavor. I can get all 3 for around the same price, my main features im looking for are good ambi controls since i am a lefty. I would appreciate any opinions to help me make im my mind. Thanks

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I don't think the ACR is in any way comparable to the SCAR or the Tavor. Since you're a lefty I'd think the SCAR would be the best, but the Tavor can be had with a left handed bolt too.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Either SCAR in 308 or Tavor.

I'd say Tavor, unless you are stocked on 308.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Well I'm not sure about the issues with the tavor left handed models I had my choice of any model, and I'm a lefty I chose a black 16 and set it up just the way I wanted it you can check out a pic here as I had opened a thread the other day about the scar and the tavor.
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/14...8510-trade-tavor-21-scar-16-would-you-do.html

cant go wrong with either. The tavor is a damn good gun I'm happy I have it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The Tavor is a fantastic choice. They are quite nice to shoot and a bit unusual. The ergonomics are very well thought out.

Reactions: doodi1

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I don't think the ACR is in any way comparable to the SCAR or the Tavor. Since you're a lefty I'd think the SCAR would be the best, but the Tavor can be had with a left handed bolt too.
Both the SCAR and the Tavor had a metric shit ton of government funds dumped into their development. They've been field tested, combat fielded, and refined. The ACR is for lack of a better term, a "Hobby" gun.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I do like the SCAR, I wanted a Tavor til I played with one. I know this is way off topic, and I do "go there" I love G36 clones, and you might look for a good SL8-G36 clone for just a bit more. Have you played with all three yet? I have with a SCAR and a Tavor (I like the AUG better) and the scar is nice, but still a over done AR IMO.

The ACR I am not too up on

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have handled the ACR and SCAR 16 but I preferred the balance of my 16" AR-15. I just bought the 16.5" Tavor as it has the overall size and utility of a lot of SBR'S and sub machine guns. The Tavor out of the box is not as accurate as my AR-15's but is accurate enough. The Tavor trigger is not as good as my AR-15's two stage match triggers but the Tavor's trigger is designed for high stress military encounters.

I really like the Tavor's ergo's and the way it shoots. It really grows on you and I really like my Tavor with EO Tech. The first couple of times I picked up a Tavor it felt a little different and not as natural as my AR-15. After a few range trips the Tavor feels very natural and is great for CQB and use in and out of vehicles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ve hit the range with a friends SCAR 16 on several occasions but don’t own one, I like it but didn’t care for the pressure wave from the stock PWS brake. It certainly does the job, little to no muzzle climb and zero recoil. Other than that it’s pretty nice and I don’t believe he’s had any issues with it.

I almost picked up a post-recall ACR Enhanced “to be different”, probably the wrong reason to buy anything. I actually liked the feel and look over the SCAR but haven’t had a chance to shoot with one. Some of the features seem better than the SCAR, the stock as an example, but without practical experience I really can’t say if it’s in fact built better than the FN. I’m guessing it’s probably not, IMHO…

I do own a right handed Tavor SAR-16 & love it, probably have 1K rounds through it already without a hiccup. Accuracy is as good as any of my stock M4’s and I find it much easier to shoot offhand, as some have said it does really grow on you! As far as optics go I did have a Mepro M21 on it but currently have an AQC-1 mounted, that’s what I’m going to stick with as works quite well with the Tavor (I did modified the remote to work with the hand guard receptacle). Ergonomics are spot on, it just feels good to hold & shoot. I did have to adjust how I grab and index mags to keep from prematurely releasing the bolt but with some practice mag changes are very quick as well. If you’re into strong/weak side shooting the Tavor will work, though you WILL need to adjust your cheek-weld a bit as you still may catch a spent case with your chin on occasion.

HTH a little, I’m thinking any of the rifles you mentioned would be a cool buy :cool:

Boomah

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, i think i am going to go with a tavor, for me it offers more than the other 2 rifles do with great ambi setup and proven design.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I gotta vote AUG on this. It's been in production for over three decades, has surplus parts floating around, and is a proven rifle.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I gotta vote AUG on this. It's been in production for over three decades, has surplus parts floating around, and is a proven rifle.
Can augs be bought with the left handed bolt installed? I havent been able to find any. Im not wanting to buy a rifle and then have to drop another 200 bucks on a bolt before i can even shoot it without brass in my face.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Can augs be bought with the left handed bolt installed? I havent been able to find any. Im not wanting to buy a rifle and then have to drop another 200 bucks on a bolt before i can even shoot it without brass in my face.
Talk to Pete at PJ's. He can have one built up with a left hand bolt. Honestly you would have to use Steyr mags but they are priced right at this time and it's a solid design.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've shot a SCAR 16 and 17. The 16 I'd take over any AR. Simply based on feel. I'm comparing that to either direct impingement or piston AR's, LWRC, POF, don't care who builds it.

I'd take the 17 over anything chambered in 5.56. To me, a 17 has exceptional balance, excellent recoil management and nobody is going to argue with ballistics of the 7.62x51 round - or it's ability to reach out and touch something at 800+M.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, i found a shop by my work with a lefty tavor and jumped on it. I can honestly say that even without shooting the rifle i am already in love with the system. The ergonomics are amazing, this is the first rifle i have ever held that actually feels like someone thought about a left handed person shooting it, and the design reminds me alot of an AK in how simple it is. I never thought that a rifle would ever take place over my SGL 31-94 as my favorite rifle but this tavor is giving it a run for its money. Sorry for the crap picture, ill try to take more later when i have time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think your feelings are exactly why all the companies are bringing products to market for the Tavor. The Tavor is a very instinctive firearm and the ability to use your weak hand away from the rifle is a real plus. The Tavor with a RDS is very easy to use weak handed if your doing CQB.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts