AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kinda broached this subject in the magazine forum, but it may be more appropriate here.

How difficult are the PAP 5.56 pistols to SBR using a triangle side folder, or an underfolder?

Is the muzzle threaded with a protector spot welded on it like some of the other AK pistols have been? Any potential problems installing a flash hider of some sort? I think I remember Manticore had a flash hider/ muzzle brake for them.

Any glaring reason why this project would be a no-go?

Reactions: cincyplayground

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought about doing this before, but backed out over the price of mags. If the mags will stay in this price range for about a month, I may be forced to buy one, which means SBR time!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
You missed out on a REALLLY good deal too. J&G had a limited time sale on the M85 for $399 about 6 weeks or so ago.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
How difficult are the PAP 5.56 pistols to SBR using a triangle side folder, or an underfolder?
Depends on where the serial is located. IIRC, some had it in the area where the front lock mechanism would extend through, and others had the serial on the rear in the area where the underfolder mechanism would extend through.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could swear I saw a post about mounting a triangle side folder right after posting this. I've looked, and can't seem to find it on this site. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Not that it won't work, but there are two things to consider.
1) I believe the angle of the rear of the receiver is different. This means that the buttstock won't be exactly parallel with the receiver when folded or deployed. This actually wouldn't bother me because it would be kind of like the Chinese buttstock angle.
2) It might be difficult to get a buttstock from Ace. I've checked a couple of times, but they were out. If they come back in stock, I'd like to use this setup for my PAP M85.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm- I've heard something about fixing the angle problem by replacing the rear trunnion? I've built several AR15s, but I just shoot and field strip my AKs so far.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I've built several AK's and wouldn't change the rear trunnion. The receiver would likely be too short, you'd have to refinish, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Drill and tap two 10-32 holes in the back of the rear trunnion plate and you can mount one of our Triangle Stocks and Stormwerkz hinge no problem at all.

The stock will angle down a little bit due to the angle of the rear of the trunnion and receiver, but the ergonomics are fine and it is no issue when folding to the left.

Sven
Manticore Arms

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drill and tap two 10-32 holes in the back of the rear trunnion plate and you can mount one of our Triangle Stocks and Stormwerkz hinge no problem at all.

The stock will angle down a little bit due to the angle of the rear of the trunnion and receiver, but the ergonomics are fine and it is no issue when folding to the left.

Sven
Manticore Arms

Thanks! I think I have decided how I'm going to do this! Looks like a one-stop shop.

I can't find the link right now, but it has been said that you can take the hinge to a machine shop, and have a 6 degree cut put on it to make the stock then run parallel to the bore. Do you think there is enough metal there for this to work?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Sven, where did you get an M92 with the bulged front trunnion? You wouldn't stick a 7.62x39 magazine in an M85 would you?

·
Premium Member
7,602 Posts
Sven, where did you get an M92 with the bulged front trunnion? You wouldn't stick a 7.62x39 magazine in an M85 would you?
I just grabbed a mag for the picture- yes, it is actually an M85.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered a PAP yesterday from Copes, hopefully, I will have it by the weekend.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did I mention that Sven- Dawg180- Manticore Arms, provided all the parts I needed for this at a GREAT price? Well......he did.

I'll be sending off for a tax stamp, and then doing the work, after the approval.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Well then we can have a stamp race. I have a stamp setup and will be sending off for my stamp on December 31.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts